The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The great Teal tsunami: arise Australia’s independents > Comments

The great Teal tsunami: arise Australia’s independents : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 25/5/2022

Rarely in Australian history has a governing party suffered such loss in the face of an opponent unable to claim complete victory.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Even though they may get a slender majority, the Labor party really can't claim a victory either because they lost ground overall.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 25 May 2022 9:12:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The "winner" went backwards too, with its lowest primary vote ever. But, the 'politics will never be the same again' mob need to take heed of the fact that most voters stuck with the two main parties.

The result was well worth it because it got rid of those hideously left-wing twerps like Sharma, Wilson et al. The Liberal party can now get back to its roots by selecting candidates who do not belong with the Greens.

What conservatives wanted has happened. Three years of chaos under Labor, with the lunatic Greens and totally inappropriate teals, who will be sidelined if Labor comes up with 76 seats, plus the two long-serving independents who are not total nutbags like the Greens and Teals. The Leftist, Morrison, Frydenberg and others wouldn't listen; Peter Dutton knew all along. As leader, he will not take the crap of any wets left, like that idiot Birmingham
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 25 May 2022 9:53:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Even when your percentage falls, a win's a win!
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 25 May 2022 9:54:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The electorate at large won't have a bar of cretins like Dutton, so the Libs will be in the wilderness for a long time methinks.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 25 May 2022 9:58:18 AM
What a crap article.

No mention of Simon Holmes à Court who founded and funded the Climate 200 and the Teal candidates,
- And no mention that our democracy was PURCHASED by rich people of means and influence.

What about the fact that some of these candidates want to lower tax for businesses, raise GST for consumers, and bring in more immigrants in line with the Business Council of Australia which creates an increased demand for already overpriced housing market increase climate change commitments raising the cost of everything?

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7728933/wentworth-independent-wants-tax-reform/

If they just came out and said this:

I want you to pay more tax for everything.
I want to make more difficult the ability for you and your kids to obtain housing.
I want to further poliarise Australian suburbs with more immigrants and crime.
I want to make more commitments to foreign treaties that constrain our ability to build a nation.
I want to take more from regular people and give back more to business owners.
I serve the rich and wealthy of our nation.

Then people would probably think twice before voting for them.
They are chameleons who hide behind their pro-green leanings but are no friend of the average Australian citizen.

No wonder the Australian people are reduced to idiots.
- When they're guided by opinions that lack any real substance.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 25 May 2022 10:21:22 AM
Armchair Critic, are you describing the Coalition under Morrison.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 25 May 2022 10:27:09 AM
Labor won with the lowest primary vote they've had for yonks! And will probably finish with a wafer thin majority? And because the coalition had swung way too far to the right! And those fools advocating they swing even further?

The coalition lost most of the moderates. Moderates who allowed the hard right to surf to victory on their coat tails. Given all elections are won in the middle!

The nats survived yet again on liberal preferences! And not on deserved merit! Or Barnaby's family values or Christian morality!?

The teals did as well as the did by appealing to the middle and the female voter, promised action on climate change, child care and health care.

If promised action on climate change does not eliminate fossil fuel dependency and transition to cleaner, cheaper, safer, carbon-free nuclear power, i.e., MSR thorium! Then the promise will be as empty as the air heads who believe we can become a super power without it in the locker!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 25 May 2022 11:39:51 AM
I don't believe taxes will rise much under labor? Not as income or consumer tax! Their majority is wafer thin and only a heart attack away from a majority changing, byelection! Plus they don't have the numbers in the senate to carry the day if they decide to go down a higher taxing pathway!

On the other hand they will take the tax sword to tax avoiding multinationals and if successful could double internal revenue? Other than that, there is a skill shortage and a housing shortfall and that needs to be addressed ASAP!

If someone could develop a robot that lays bricks, we could build many more houses! As brickies are a dying breed who currently earn around three dollars per brick laid.

I worked for a spell as a brickies labourer during the summer hols and I can tell you it as hard as it comes and nearly as tough as breaking rocks with a sledge under the hot Australian sun!

Hardly any of today's youngsters are physically strong enough to undertake such work! And have had it too easy for too long to adapt!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 25 May 2022 12:00:11 PM
Hey VK3AUU,
Well I guess if there's truth there, we just jumped out of the frypan and into the fire.

Hey Alan B.
I'm only going by what these bought and paid for shonks are saying themselves.
Capitalist greed through and through parading themselves as greenies.
http://tinyurl.com/een6t778
What a total sham of a world we now live in.
And you're not wrong about today's youngsters;
- Who never went outside to play, but stayed inside in front of their gaming consoles.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 25 May 2022 2:04:04 PM
I cannot see why primary votes are sometimes seen as having 'grand' significance.
We have a preferential voting system to determine the best candidate.
Primary votes are only important when someone has more than half of them.
In other situations, it is the secondary and subsequent choices which count.
That is how our excellent system works.
So when a candidate wins on secondary choices, is that not just as significant as a primary vote win?
I cannot see it being otherwise.
Our system is fair, so a win is a win, and that is it!
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Wednesday, 25 May 2022 4:26:52 PM
In my opinion Peter Dutton being a Traditionalist rather than a Libertarian or a Left or Right Liberal will be much better for British Australia and also for other Australian's.

Even though Morrison (Banker Turnbull's apprentice) did a pretty decent job in dealing with a difficult situation Free Global Libertarianism isn't my thing- we need to understand the population and explain our view and hopefully if we act in good faith the Australian population will come to agree with us.

Sadly the Labor party has become more communist since the creation of the Democratic Labour Party of the 1940's under B.A. Santa Maria. It was a war between the Catholics and the Communists. The Labor party is no longer about the working people- but it's still about class warfare- of a different sort- between the Nihilist, Liberal naive useful idiot "Moderates" (in Communist parlance), and the Traditional "classes".
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 25 May 2022 4:46:18 PM
Sorry DLP was formed in 1955.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 25 May 2022 4:52:52 PM
I dread the Labor/Greens alliance and the ultimate shut down of coal-fired power stations; renewables won't replace it. But, I am glad for a change from Dutton, Ms Payne, Frydenberg and his aspirations to be PM. Wish Morrison would resign; he couldn't run a school fete.
Posted by Francesca, Wednesday, 25 May 2022 9:04:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy