The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What’s the right thing to do? > Comments

What’s the right thing to do? : Comments

By Steven Schwartz, published 2/2/2022

We all must find a way to live with the consequences of our choices. It helps if we know how and why we made them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
What to do.
First don't go invading foreign countries;
When it all goes pear shaped you've got no-one but yourself to blame.

Secondly, divert the tram or not divert the tram;

There's no real right answer. do nothing, people die (as assumed by the argument) but it's not your fault.
Do something, less people die (as assumed by the argument) but it was by your hand and you will live with the guilt.

Push the guy off the bridge.
That's murder and there's no certainty the tram will stop from one person anyway.
It may be 6 dead not 5.

If you assume that one big person can stop the tram, then what makes you automatically assume that all 5 men on the tracks will die?
Won't the tram stop after hitting the first 2 normal sized men?
And if you're over the tracks and can see whats happening, then why not just just yell out to the workers below and let them know, assuming there's enough time to throw someone off a bridge? (There are guardrails)

There's no certainty that people will die either from the tram as they may see it at the last second and jump out the way.
With 5 on the tracks, (10 eyes) it only takes 1 person to see the tram coming and alert the others;
With 1 on the tracks (2 eyes) and his back may be turned, there may be no way to prevent a tragedy.

Ultimately, the ends don't justify the means, that's a terrorist mindset.

The reason why my points are all valid, is because there's another important point that you failed to consider in your black and white arguments, 'the grey area', aka 'uncertainty' and you demonstrated it well in your stories about the soldiers.

- That point is, that things don't always turn out as you expect.
And that's why all my 'grey area points' are valid and worthy of consideration just as much as your close-minded poorly devised black and white thought experiments.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 5 February 2022 8:51:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Imitate'...
I just can't pass up this gift horse.
Most of the university kids you see depicted these days are mentally deranged.
What does that say about those who teach them?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 5 February 2022 8:52:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“there are three ways to gain wisdom-reflection, imitation, and experience.” There is a fourth, much deeper way: the practice of Vipassana meditation, the non-sectarian technique taught by the Buddha. Human beings, like everything else, consist of minute particles which arise and pass away with great rapidity, no continuing substance, no “I, me, mine,” nothing to cling to. Many human problems arise from ignorance of this reality. If we examine ourselves at subtle levels, we find a flow of sensations, and that we react to these sensations as good, bad or neutral, which turns to craving and aversion. This is the source of disharmony within and between humans. When you learn to observe these sensations with equanimity, you can lead a peaceful, harmonious, productive life, good for you and good for others, whether or not you adhere to a religion. And you will be better placed to deal with whatever issues arise.
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 7 February 2022 10:38:57 AM
JP: you say that “If a person is an atheist, then it is hard to even make sense of the notion of wisdom.” I’m an atheist; I think that whether or not there is a God or gods, we are responsible for our own choices and well-being. And if you read my earlier post, you will see that you are quite wrong about atheists. Since 1973 I have done voluntary work to help others gain the benefits I have had from practising Vipassana meditation.
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 7 February 2022 10:47:05 AM
Faustino – I think you miss my point. If the universe has just happened into being unintentionally, i.e. no Creator/God has brought it into existence for some purpose, then there is no ultimate point to our existence. Our existence would be ultimately meaningless.

You say “we are responsible for our own choices and well-being”. If atheism is true, to whom or what do you think we are responsible? Whatever you might answer to that question, I would ask, “Why?”

Yes, you can make choices, but as an atheist, what makes one choice “right” and another choice “wrong”? If there is no purpose to our existence then all choices are arbitrary.

Please explain why this is not so. Thank-you.
Posted by JP, Monday, 7 February 2022 11:27:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy