The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dodgy sex > Comments

Dodgy sex : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 17/1/2022

Late last year we were told that Canberra’s Parliament House is plagued by bullying, sexual harassment and sexual assault.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"The report is not worth the paper it is written on".

No surprises then - just like all the other feminist beatups, and the over-reactions of a cherry-picking PM: bad men; bad soldiers: bad Australia Post CEO crucified (bit of a surprise, the CEO being a woman).
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 17 January 2022 9:26:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
During my 8 years in the WA Parliament, I encountered or heard about no examples of the sorts of problems described in the report. All sexual encounters (of which there were a few) between staff and/or parliamentarians were consensual and the only bullying was by a small number of individual MPs trying to raise their profiles so they would be considered ministerial quality.

The findings of the report on bad behaviour in the federal Parliament simply did not apply to the WA Parliament in my time there.
Posted by Bernie Masters, Monday, 17 January 2022 11:44:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would pull my head in if I were David Leyonhjelm on this or any other subject for that matter. A person who can yell across the Senate chamber at Sarah Hanson-Young during serious and much-needed debate on sexual violence against women and tell her to 'stop shagging men' is someone I certainly won't ever be listening to. I would have thought being forced to pay a $120,000 defamation suit might have taught him some contrition. But no, he's still out there doing all he can to undermine the disturbing and valid claims made by numerous women in parliament relating to sexual assault, harassment and bullying. Leyonhjelm obviously doesn't want his modus operandi curtailed in any way, but women across the country expect and are beginning to demand much higher standards from their elected representatives.
Posted by Bronwyn, Monday, 17 January 2022 12:17:05 PM
Non-consentual sex however framed or excused is still a criminal act and should be punished by the law as if true justice were a blind lady!

And the victims of the abuse of power should never be put on trial and further traumatised by the perps or their fellow travelers! No names no pack drill. But if the cap fits?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 17 January 2022 12:29:24 PM
Bronwyn and Alan,

The point that David L is trying to make is that if you make the definition of sexual harassment so wide as to include overhearing a ribald joke, then you will get ludicrous results which are clearly what resulted from this survey which becomes even more ludicrous when idiots start claiming that 50% of women working in parliament have been sexually assaulted.
Posted by shadowminister, Monday, 17 January 2022 1:47:42 PM
Since this grub left the Parliment I'm sure complaints have dropped. With Cry Baby Porter going next election there should be another decrease in complaints.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 17 January 2022 2:28:52 PM
*…"The report is not worth the paper it is written on".

No surprises then - just like all the other feminist beatups, and the over-reactions of a cherry-picking PM: bad men; bad soldiers: bad Australia Post CEO crucified (bit of a surprise, the CEO being a woman)…*

Yep to that…I could only add; the old saying stands, if it’s too hot in the kitchen, there are always suitable alternatives available.
Suffering in silence is much more dignified, but suffering is not something that comes easily to the overly protected in Canberra obviously.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 17 January 2022 4:17:17 PM
Paul

Shorten is still in parliament so the womenfolk will still need to keep their legs crossed.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/woman-who-accused-bill-shorten-of-rape-slams-police-investigation/65e2d005-f9b2-41df-87d9-95c88f8caf03
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 17 January 2022 6:05:59 PM
Sarah Hanson Young hates men so much that none will live with her.
Posted by shadowminister, Tuesday, 18 January 2022 4:40:01 AM
SHONKY,

How was that claim of yours about Cry Baby Porter. Oh yes, our legal boofhead predicted Porter would walk away with over $10 million, a groveling apology from the ABC, and 100 ABC staff sacked to pay for it all.

This GRUB here has been prosecuted, found guilty, had to pay up and booted from parliament. What more can one say.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 18 January 2022 5:54:46 AM
Isn't it odd that there are no complaints of molestation from within the opposition or are only heterosexual incidents being reported ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 18 January 2022 8:02:40 AM
Pauliar,

You are a FRAUD AND A LIAR.

Once again you are lying through your teeth. I never made those claims.

Either back up your lies or recant.
Posted by shadowminister, Tuesday, 18 January 2022 8:20:03 AM
David Leyonhjelm writing anything about sex and females needs to be taken with the same dose of credibility as Dracular writing a report about the shortage of blood in the blood bank.
Posted by Aries54, Tuesday, 18 January 2022 12:11:03 PM
"Where there's smoke ..."

Enough women have now come forward with complaints.
And something needs to be done without any finger-
pointing or excusing or blaming. A workplace, be it
Canberra or else where needs to be a place where
people feel safe and secure and there needs to be
places where complaints can and will be heard and
taken seriously. Obviously, things have gone wrong
and things need to be fixed. No ifs and buts.

Things have been brushed aside for too long. It needs
to be brought out into the open and action needs to be
taken.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 18 January 2022 2:16:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy