The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia could be the long-term winner worldwide > Comments

Australia could be the long-term winner worldwide : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 24/11/2021

'We could power the entire world five times over from the Australian sun… It's a good measure of how large our country is, and how much great sun we have.'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I am more optimistic Bazz. Renewables have been sold on the basis of being cheap, reliable and economic. Yes, the forecasts for renewable energy are all golden, but how will populations respond to intermittent and expensive power? I suspect it will be a much harder sell.
Posted by Fester, Saturday, 27 November 2021 8:05:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Solar is not going to be cheap when they start making us pay to put energy back into the grid. If that happens we will have no alternative but to disconnect or run whatever appliances we can to minimize our output.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Saturday, 27 November 2021 8:55:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes David, solar & wind cannot be cheap and the smaller the country
the more expensive it is. It is the duplication of all the solar wind
and batteries that is the killer.
Being a large country, if we connect the grid to the west and increase
the capacity of the grid and establish sites all around Australia we
might get away with only a five times duplication.
This is the problem that Germany had, it is far too small to have only
solar, wind and batteries.
I just hope that the system crashes soon before we have spent the money.

I see that they have blown up another power station, Wallerawang this
time.
I think they do this, rather than mothballing so they cannot be refurbished.
It makes me suspect that they believe their plan will fail.
Isn't that the Davos plan ? "Build Back Better ?"
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 27 November 2021 2:35:42 PM
I have been reading up on Thorium MSR reactors and I must admit that Alan probably is on the right track. The government should be putting money into building a few of them, starting at Morwell, instead of wasting our money on Snowy 2 and and more Tassie interconnectors.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Saturday, 27 November 2021 2:53:13 PM
The Indians are building a thorium reactor but no sound of it for some time.
Rolls Royce is contracted to build three Modular reactors for delivery
to the UK grid in 2030 so to get on that queue would take a long time.
A friend Keith VK2AXN sk designed the nuclear power station for Jervis Bay,
that the government cancelled. What a blunder that turned out to be !
Time is running out on us I am afraid unless they undertake to build
some coal fired stations soon.
de vk2aab
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 27 November 2021 3:11:55 PM
They certainly need to build something or we are going to have numerous blackouts and load shedding during the hot summer months.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Saturday, 27 November 2021 5:27:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy