The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Carbon dioxide, lifeblood of our planet > Comments

Carbon dioxide, lifeblood of our planet : Comments

By Ken Calvert, published 22/11/2021

That's carbon dioxide as we breathe out. In at 400ppm and out at 4000, CO2 is an essential part of our life.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Wow. I've seen some daffy notions dressed up a vaguely science-y thinking but that takes the cake. Lack of H2O causes cooling, therefore CO2 causes warming? Makes perfect sense </sarc>.

By the way, if CO2 is so good at "captur[ing] infrared radiation emitting from the earth's surface and radiat[ing] it in all directions" why doesn't it perform this wonderous feat on cloudless nights?
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 27 November 2021 6:11:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear mhaze,

You write:

“Lack of H2O causes cooling, therefore CO2 causes warming? Makes perfect sense </sarc>.”

Sigh. As much as I acknowledge you struggle with this stuff I really didn't think I would be going right back to basics for you mate.

This obviously will surprise you but water vapour is a greenhouse gas.

As to whether CO2 performs “this wondrous feat at night” it does.

“The build-up of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere from human emissions reduces the amount of radiation released into space, which increases both the night-time and day-time temperatures. However, because at night there is a much smaller volume of air that gets warmed, the extra energy added to the climate system from carbon dioxide leads to a greater warming at night than during the day.

This higher sensitivity of night-time temperatures has also affected the number of cold-extreme nights we have seen in recent years. The number of extremely cold nights has dropped by half during the last fifty years, in contrast to the extreme-cold days which have decreased by a quarter.”
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160310080530.htm

You have revealed just how far behind you are on this stuff. While it is something obviously expected from someone like Hasbeen I find it a little concerning that you are that far behind.

Let me know if there are some resources I could direct your way to bring you up to speed.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 27 November 2021 1:50:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Time to go find another discussion SR. You show your self to be totally ignorant of any science, every time you touch a key board.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 27 November 2021 3:20:11 PM
Dear Hasbeen,

Dreadfully sorry if the last post went over your head old boy. I would encourage you to try and keep up but we both know that is unlikely.

However I should think it was a little churlish for someone who struggles with even the basics to claim another ignorant of science.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 27 November 2021 7:43:50 PM
Geee! This is almost an unservicable diatribe replete with propagandic epithets. The air we breath in is whatever is the composition in the immediate vicinity - CO2 averaging 417ppm right now. For most of the last 2 million years i.e for human evolution and brain development, has been closer to 300ppm CO2. We know that being in a closed room that gets to 600ppm CO2 will have a deleterious effect on cognition. The higher the CO2 in the ambient atmosphere the easier it is to get to 600ppm inside a building and the harder to maintain it lower. Like all things in the lived environment, there is a sweet spot that enhances human life or acts as curatives. Below the amount, life support drops off and above that amount damage increases. Is CO2 good for life, bad for life? It all depends on ppm. My vote is getting back to human sweet spot - 300ppm.
Posted by Owen59, Monday, 29 November 2021 8:39:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy