The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The world’s media is focused on Net-Zero emissions…what about Net-Zero discharges of waste water? > Comments

The world’s media is focused on Net-Zero emissions…what about Net-Zero discharges of waste water? : Comments

By Charles Essery, published 5/11/2021

Sydney discharges more water into our rivers and oceans than it consumes through our water supply. There is no water shortage.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Alan B and Individual... Did you two get onto ye old Buckfast Fortified Tonic Wine a bit early before adding your comments.

Alan, stick to your MSR sphere of knowledge, as you clearly don't understand water. Recycled purified water uses significantly less energy than desalinated water. Simple physics/chemistry mate. Sea water is 35ppthousand compared to 10 ppt. So needs less energy to clean it thru RO filters. I suppose because you worship at the Shrine of MSR, you want more energy to be used. So purified water is less expensive when made from slat water over treated effluent.

Also why use even more energy to send effluent to the country side via a pipeline that would half to go up and over the Great divide ( 800 up hill from Sydney coastline if you wanted to supply it to agriculture in valley like the Lachlan? Of course again maybe you want to justify more expensive use of your much beloved MSR god.

Individual, The Bradfield scheme was an interesting idea, and could have been built in the early 20th Century. Some are even trying to revisit the scheme. However, they are unlikely to success not for economic or technical reasons, but the massive barrier created by environmental legislation and the Green meanies. In my 30+ year career in water resources in Australia, I only know of one dam that succeeded to be built from scratch ( many have been raised) and even it ended up being build to only 1/3rd the original size due to environmental "constraints".

So no Dams are NOT cheaper than purified recycled water. Sydney has two great sites for dams, but will never be built until the Chinese take over in post 2050!

To both of you, when you recover from your Buckfast hangover, re read the article ( and indeed previous ones) to see that even unplanned recycle water as supplied by SWater via North Richmond is perfectly safe.
Posted by Alison Jane, Monday, 8 November 2021 7:11:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My goodness, what a slanted perspective hardly consistent with either history nor facts.

“Quite simply, it must be either: mismanagement; a lack of political will/vision; corruption; or the barriers are controlled by the multiple layers of Federal, State and Local Government bureaucrats who fear true community consultation.  I fear it is the latter, namely inefficient, constraining, government bureaucracy.”

Rubbish, it was venal politicking.

The most often cited reason for reluctance to head toward a future featuring recycled water is Toowoomba.

That is where after giving fully support for recycled water for the town Liberal Senator at the time Ian McFarlane and local the National Party State member both jumped ship due to irresponsible self interest.

If they had shown true leadership we wouldn't still be having Toowoomba trotted out every time drinking recycled water comes up. In my experience bureaucrats want to get on with it but there is a constant tug on the reins from now gun-shy politicians.

But the strategy he links to at least has a crack”

“We will continue to engage and consult with the community on options for future water management approaches and services. This includes an increased focus on water efficiency and working together to understand attitudes towards different supply augmentation options, such as desalination and purified recycled water.”

“planning for a range of rainfall-independent supply options such as desalination and purified recycled water so that we can deliver the additional supplies we need, when we need them, and in the right locations across Greater Sydney.”

And,

“By investing in a demonstration plant for purified recycled water and engaging with customers we can highlight the safety of demonstrated and proven technology and the range of beneficial uses for using purified recycled water, including for supporting greening and cooling across our city, enhancing the health of our rivers and potentially supplementing our water supply (subject to public consultation).”

Cont...
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 8 November 2021 4:38:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont...

So there really isn't “Deflection of the key issue for all cities around the world, namely the use of potable/purified recycled water…. the “honest elephant” in the room.” as the author asserts.

And they demonstrably do “address the elephant in the room, namely the need to communicate, educate, discuss and assist community/customers/society to understand the key issue”.

Finally treating recycled water to a standard which deals with things like PFAS, hormonal and prescription medication contamination drives the price to very near that of desalination. Every desal plant across the country had had a renewable energy build as part of the project. The Cockburn Sound plant was accompanied by the Emu Downs Windfarm.

“Electricity for the desalination plant – which has an overall 24MW requirement and a production demand of 4.0kWh/kl to 6.0kWh/kl – comes from the new 80MW Emu Downs Wind Farm, which consists of 48 wind turbines located 30km east of Cervantes.”
http://www.water-technology.net/projects/perth/

So the overblown claims of the author are again found out. I invite him to be a little more conscious of the facts with his next offering.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 8 November 2021 4:38:35 PM
Ah Steel Nutcwit, I miss your arrogant, ill-informed utterances.. And now I must congratulate you as probably as one of the few who have read this failed strategy. I reckon very few citizens/consumers of Sydney Waters service have read it.

Mind you, the fact that you use those quotes of text from the document that you so appreciate, and hence use to defend your opinion on how good it is, ... make me think you must be a NSW Government Troll?

Grieve after all that stuff I have seen you write on OLO comments on the topic.. is it really just Pro Government propaganda.. I hope they pay you mate.

Ah well, bet you don't have a rain tank, nor are concerned that Sydney, like all drinking water treatment even attempts to remove your feared contaminants. You really need to read up on water treatment mate, we professional just smirk knowingly at the mis-understanding you and your woke green meanie mates display and your weak minds. You should try the Buckfast tonic wine that Alan B and Individual must drink. It might make your limited supply of braincells happy!
Posted by Alison Jane, Monday, 8 November 2021 5:25:12 PM
Dear Alison Jane,

I understand your pain.

If I were either incapable of digesting said document or so ideologically tainted that there was likely a complete unwillingness to contend with anything someone else had put then I too may well resort to name-calling and vacuous mutterings.

I hope it helps.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 8 November 2021 5:52:10 PM
In your dreams my dear boy. Why not comment of the article, rather than use endless quotes from others that you can't form for yourself. I

do hope you learn how to read, think, analyse and conclude something original for your self. If you do, I will be happy for you. Sweet dreams in your virtual world.
Posted by Alison Jane, Tuesday, 9 November 2021 6:55:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy