The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A look at two island nations – one with optimism, one with concern > Comments

A look at two island nations – one with optimism, one with concern : Comments

By Jeffrey Wall, published 9/8/2021

In this contribution I want to look at a close and strategically important neighbour the Solomon Islands, and a more distant nation which has significant people to people links with Australia, Samoa.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Sory Jeffery. But I for one, do not ee our role as policeman for the South Pacific! Their destiny remains where I ought to be, in their own hands.

Those with cargo cult mentalities? Can try it on with China and see where that gets them. Or how far China can stretch the rubber band of economic aid, before the load bankrupts them!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 9 August 2021 11:39:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Does this include the many Samoans who have become Australian indigenous over the years ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 9 August 2021 4:53:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jeffrey please tell us in what area you consider we should reduce our current spending at home, to fund more spending in the islands.

We are already spending way over our income on the Corona virus, there is not much left in the kitty to challenge China's spending in the area.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 9 August 2021 5:33:42 PM
Remind me never to consult Jeffrey should I ever get into Politics !
Posted by individual, Monday, 9 August 2021 7:01:16 PM
Since the days of the Howard government Australia's aid to the Pacific has been nothing more than a penny pinching exercise. If we wish to counter Chinas influence then we need to do a lot more than the tokenism we show now. According to the Lowy Institute China pledged $4 billion in aid to the Pacific region in 2017, over four times as much as Australia with its 2017/18 $815 million. The Coalition has cut foreign aid by $11 billion since coming to office in 2013. In 2017 Foreign Minister Bishop said; “We welcome the role played by all donors, including China, to support development in the Pacific,”, well so do the people of the Pacific when they see an impassable road fixed, or children getting a basic education, when they see investment in income generating sustainable businesses. They don't much care as to where the money is coming from, Australia, China or Timbuktu.

Calling out a resident racist; "Does this include the many Samoans who have become Australian indigenous over the years ?" With the mind set of people like this bloke, no wonder China has been given a dream run into the Pacific.

Hassy asks; "what area you consider we should reduce our current spending at home, to fund more spending in the islands." We could start with knocking off the outrageous pork barrelling by the Morrison government, and the millions put into the underserving pockets of mega rich Liberal party friends with 'Jobkeeper'.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 10 August 2021 7:11:20 AM
Paul1405,
So, looks like you don't actually have an explanation, all you have is a bit of immature sarcasm !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 10 August 2021 12:11:38 PM
I sailed into Gizo, capital of a central province of the Solomons one day. It was well after independence, but I couldn't help but notice a large sign in very faded paint on the side of the warehouse on the jetty "BRITISH SOLOMON ISLAND PROTECTORATE". I couldn't help thinking then how much more mature were these islanders than the Oz rabble shouting for a republic for Oz, to leave that sign there. The poms did a great job in the Solomons.

When I anchored I noticed a white man waving frantically from the shore. He was a pommy government surveyor, there to plan a new jetty. He was staying at the government guest house, established to house visiting government experts & officials on visits.

His problem was the only staff he could find was a gardener. Manager cook & house maid could not be found, & he could not get the communications with Honiara to work. I couldn't help thinking how similar to our aboriginal outposts where many are paid to do a job, but can never be found working.

There were no facilities other than a couple of Chinese trade stores, where he had found some tinned food & a tin opener. I stayed & fed him for the couple of days it took for me to contact a yacht in Honiara to arrange a government charter plane to fetch him.

Today there is a thriving town, with both local & European run business, & a thriving tourist industry run most by a few Europeans & staffed by locals. No government worker would near starve on Gizo today.

If the Solomons are in trouble financially today it is only due to typical government waste.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 10 August 2021 3:02:44 PM
Indy,

You make these outlandish racists claims like Samoans pretending to be Aboriginal. Like so many of the nonsense racists claims you make, there is no evidence to support what you say. What you really are saying is Samoans pretend to be Aboriginal, so to collect all those imaginary Aboriginal freebees you bang on about.

How about that free house and cushy well paid job you got when you arrived here from wherever, plus all the other welfare freebees you have received since. About the time of you arrival many Australians believed that to be a "fact", like so many of your "facts" today.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 10 August 2021 5:52:46 PM
Paul1405,
Outlandish only to you because it's an inconvenient truth & no free housing for this lad !
Try again !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 10 August 2021 10:54:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy