The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Australian Curriculum Assessment and Review Authority is failing the national interest test > Comments

The Australian Curriculum Assessment and Review Authority is failing the national interest test : Comments

By Graham Young, published 15/7/2021

If the first sign of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result, how are we to describe the state of mind that implements the same failed policy twice as hard and expects an even better result?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Down, down, down into a burning ring of fire. I can't remember what Johnny Cash was referring to, but it could well have been Australia.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 15 July 2021 9:29:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I’ve advocated for a revolt against the learned classes, and a sacking of Universities, celebrated by a book burning of liberal lies.

( peasants revolt, 1381).

The newish institutions of Oxford and Cambridge ( and others), were sacked by angry peasants.
Isn’t that the point we have reached, with 54 classes of gender, and a constant parade of lies trooped under the rainbow flag of equality.

It all eminates from universities. Burn their books and them down, the time has long arrived to start again!

What is so different from a situation where the tax man burst through the front door to lift the dress of a fourteen YO maiden, checking for pubic hairs; a qualifier for the hated poll tax.

The forced intrusions of Academics into the personal lives of our families, has gone far enough.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 15 July 2021 10:43:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry Graham, but I disagree. The real problems with this test is the teacher's fearmongering and uncooperative union! The other is that it's not online and scripted in such a way that the test/examination cannot be coached by usually incompetent teachers, who remain protected by the union. And underlined by how much better the test applies to the union-free private schools where the usual fearmongering BS is left out!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 15 July 2021 11:35:40 AM
AlanB

Keep it simple. The universities are on a one way path to irrelevance. (Viz a viz the detestable ABC).

They have too much control over things that matter in the life of the peasant. Namely the family.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 15 July 2021 11:42:47 AM
Teachers are as much of the problem.

Example, mid 1950s, 400 pupil country high school. Only 12 in the senior year, only those planning higher education, the cream, of the local academic crop. 5 doing math or science honors before or after school, or at lunch time, with great teachers.

One went into the family business, 1 was family funded to uni, 3 went to uni on scholarships earned with their honors results, the rest all went to teachers college. 60% of the cream of the crop became teachers. Lucky kids with such teachers.

1998, 1600 pupil near city high school. 90 in senior year, 60 doing math A,B,C. Only one teacher capable of doing math C, & he is the union delegate, often away. The other classes gets an Indian lady, not capable of doing even junior math, [where did she get a degree?] or a Chinese lady who's English few are able to understand.

I started coaching my daughter & a couple of her friends. The result was right, but somehow I was doing it WRONG. How the hell would they know? Daughter then attended Math & Physics coaching at the Queensland university of Technology every Saturday. She then had to coach the Indian ladies class with what she had been taught each Saturday at QUT.

Next year she was signed up for a BSc, B of education with 12 others only to be advised it was canceled. Turned out the tenured lecturer was continually drunk.

Any questions why our education is stuffed, other than the curriculum?
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 15 July 2021 5:14:53 PM
Graham Young,
You state "Our results lag our competitors in South-East Asia, to the extent that a Year 9 student in Singapore or China will outperform a Year 12 student in Australia. How is doubling down on our current approach going to bridge this gap?"

I could not agree more. When the Australian Curriculum first appeared a few years ago I was tasked with making a comparison between the Australian Curriculum in Maths and that of Singapore.

The main difference was at what point in time a particular topic was introduced.

There was very little difference in either content or suggested pedagogy overall.

So what makes the difference?

The difference is that in Singapore they begin with problem solving and then use that as a springboard before moving to repetitive algorithms.

The Australian Curriculum emphasises the same approach but too many teachers begin with repetitive algorithms and rarely move on to any applications let alone problem solving.

Why do so many teachers stick with a methodology that you correctly point out continues to fail our students?

I think it is lazy teachers supported by their union and gutless Heads of Department and Curriculum Leaders in schools.
Posted by WTF? - Not Again, Monday, 19 July 2021 11:38:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy