The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Enjoy the sugar hit as we flirt with economic ruin > Comments

Enjoy the sugar hit as we flirt with economic ruin : Comments

By Alan Moran, published 19/5/2021

Business investment has since sunk to a historical low of around 10 per cent of GDP. The budget papers anticipate an anaemic 1.5 per cent increase in business investment next year.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Great article Alan.

We really only need to do 2 things to get back on track, & both are mostly old hat.

First return to our competitive advantage. We once shoveled coal straight from the ground to the power house boiler, then wired all the cheapest electricity in the world out to our industry & homes. A simple return to such a simple solid system will see us back in business. We just need to acknowledge the global warming scam for what it is.

Having got our costs of production & living back down we then need to forget importing labor, either skilled or unskilled, & get our education system back on course. Get it back to teaching the real stuff, Math, Physics, Chemistry & English, so kids come out of school ready to become engineers, builders, electricians or surgeons, then chuck the garbage out of our universities & start teaching real skills.

We didn't need to import skilled people back in the 50s & 60s, we got on with training our own to be some of the best in the world, & if we get the feminasty's out of control of our education system & we can do it again.

We need really good people giving career guidance to kids right through school, so they have some idea of where the high paying, in demand professions are going to be. It is too late to come out of school with dance, music & media studies tomfoolery, when the jobs are in mining & engineering.

We can do it, but I fear it is highly unlikely that we will.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 19 May 2021 3:18:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find it amusing in a very sad way that those who participated in the run-down of the economy are always the ones with all the answers when they're not actually being part of the group that has to manage their legacy i.e. economic mess !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 19 May 2021 6:08:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I agree there's a lot in what you say, Hasbeen. I just don't see coal as part of the solution when there is a much cheaper option than coal that also needs to be shovelled

And that option will include the many valuable rare earths that invariably coexist in the same mineral deposit as the thorium. Thorium is very heavy and magnetic enough to allow a good recovery spectrum via gravity and magnetic separation.

As for prospects? Aerial surveys with side-looking radar will identify the best most concentrated prospects. If you believe that graphene highways are pie in the sky? Then how about underground superconductor graphene cored cables replacing eyesore transmission towers to quite massively reduce transmission and distribution losses. A total combined 75%?

And allow the aluminium and copper to be recycled. The sale of same going a long way to offsetting the cost of the replacement grid. Moreover with a system not wiped out with summer storms, termite attacks on poles that fall, or burn with the next firestorm.

Meaning loss of power may reduce your ability to fight fires/pump water. Or just keep the freezers going and your food fresh/ still suitable for human consumption.

It's a no brainer!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 19 May 2021 7:56:56 PM
Alan 'd be very happy if your Thorium was allowed to compete on a level playing field, & proved itself. That is provided it was private enterprise with no government/tax payer input. It should be given a real chance, as should all other options, to come to the top if it can.

I know the problems of power lines in this woke age, when idiots object if trees are cleared a suitable distance from them. I have a 10 KVA gen set to cover that problem. I also have experience of problems with underground power transmission. When running the Telford marine division I became pretty good mates with the South Mole Island engineer. he recruited me to go out with him at first light on cool wet winter mornings, following the plan of the underground grid, looking for steam rising. This indicated a hot spot where he had a power leak. He had thought that once the existing problems were cured he would be right, but new leakage continued to develop[ over the 3 years I was involved.

I don't know much about electricity, except it is always more difficult, & more troublesome than it is supposed to be.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 19 May 2021 9:15:15 PM
Who will be the new owner of Qantas?
Posted by JF Aus, Saturday, 22 May 2021 2:54:36 PM
Low interest rates, spending too much & growing debt is what got us into this mess.

More of the same will give us more of the same economic stagnation.

Cut spending, cut spending, cut spending, then lower taxes & regulation.
Posted by imacentristmoderate, Wednesday, 26 May 2021 2:00:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy