The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The perfect essay on climate change > Comments

The perfect essay on climate change : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 7/5/2021

We use the word 'crusade' advisedly, since the frenzy over climate resembles the medieval crusades against foreign infidels and home-grown heretics. There is even a children's climate crusade.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
One wonders how the author swallows their own ignorance, this claim alone should "alarm" anyone

"In fact, history shows that warmings of a few degrees Celsius - which extended growing seasons - have been good for humanity."

Lets take a look at that claim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_temperature_record#/media/File:2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

Anyone spot on that chart were there is ANY global warming of "a few degrees" ? I mean the author claimed to have this information and made an assessment that it was "good" and yet that's an easily proven lie.

So lets use the ice core that go back further then 10,000 years have to say

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Holocene_Temperature_Variations.png

Last 10,000 years, the rise of human civilisation, temp looks remarkably stable ? no rises of temp increases of a couple degrees at all. Still only minor perturbations around the mean right up until the modern era, no such "warmings of a few degrees Celsius" at all. So another lie ?

As to Lindzen, the guy that claims there is no link between smoking and lung cancer is the guy you want to go with ? Why not the 1000s of other scientistic or the one who called out Lindzen's bullsh1t, Dr James Hansen ? ? If you don't like the scientists quoted, perhaps Professor Jason Box, or Professor Kevin Anderson, or Dr Peter Kalmus ?

Don't like Hansen ? Professor Oppenheimer said in an interview once, "there are a handful of truly meaningful scientific climate change studies that have been done, I have them all in my draw here, many of them are by James (Hansen)" That guy ? Not one paper there by Lindzen.

All I can surmise is the author really doesn't understand this at all. There are still many scientists who don't accept evolution. Whatever you may think of the political rhetoric around climate change, the author is being completely disingenuous about the actual science here.
Posted by Valley Guy, Saturday, 8 May 2021 11:35:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Many moons ago I advised all you coal-fired drongos to get out of coal and buy Lithium. If you had but listened, you'll could've more than tripled your wealth/capital gains by now!

We are led, I believe, by pig-headed, bone heads who wouldn't know the time of day, but for clocks!

Were this not so we would already be making plans to quite massively reindustrialise/convert our economy to MSR thorium-based nuclear ASAP!

Intransigent recalcitrants like the Author would no longer dance to Mr Putin's/coal investor's tune!

One of the children of MSR thorium is, miracle cancer cure, the alpha particle, bismuth 213.

Bismuth 213 would enable medical tourism of our outback rural/regional districts/add annual billion to those economies for as long as there is death sentence cancer, which currently claims more than 2 million lives P.A.the world over!

That number grows! As does big pharma's balance sheet and profit curve, along with that of the cancer industry!

The above economic paradigm would save many a rural/regional town and our airline industry, or make a business case for every rapid rail, stack up economically! I'd opt for the latter as we could use electricity. Move more people more profitably minus the huge carbon footprint!

Moreover, with MSR thorium at our disposal, we could completely drought-proof the joint/make arid desert regions become veritable gardens of Eden! Places where we grow rice, cotton, all manner of exportable produce!

Automation requires copious cheap energy That's the promise of Thorium as well as setting us up as an economy that is carbon-free for the most part!

What prevents the above? The same bone-headed drongos, who between them have tried to weld our futures to coal for obvious personal, if but for highly fallacious, fundamentally, fatuous financial reasons!

The definitely upcoming carbon tariffs will ensure our coal-based economy tanks! It'll be too late then for the above-referenced boneheads to embrace, safe, clean, ultra-cheap, no downsides thorium!

No names no pack drill, but you'll know who you are!

You'll have a nice day now,y'hear.

P.S. It's the economy, stupid!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 8 May 2021 11:43:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Every western-style economy, rests solely on just 2 support pillars! Energy and capital!

Capital has never been cheaper nor more abundant!

Energy never dearer, nor more price gouged by those who worship/are addicted to, money and power! Mostly foreigners?

If we want the economy to fully recover/flourish beyond all current expectations? Then we will need the lowest costing energy that we can access! That energy is MSR thorium and unsubsidised energy prices as low as 1 cent PKWH.

Moreover, this now available technology can be retasked to burn nuclear waste until a 90%+ remaining energy component is used up, leaving only a 5-8% far less toxic product that's eminently suitable as space batteries, that stabilise in around thirty years and burn up with reentry!

What prevents any of the above?

Just tin-eared, recalcitrant pollies and coal enthusiasts like the advocating/postulating author?

Let's us not forget a treasurer who walked into the chamber to address it using a lump of coal as a prop/now wants to transition to gas as the most determinedly dumb energy policy, that'll cost more than the abandoned coal!

Renewables, batteries/pumped hydro are not cheap, will never ever match it with unsubsidised MSR thorium or this same technology tasked with waste burning that generates a profit component before we commission a single reactor!

Can never meltdown or explode as a consequence of internal pressure. And shielded to be less radioactive than a banana!

There're no downsides here! Just massive economic growth and cooperative capitalism opportunities that would grow our economy so large that any debt would be fully repaid by that growth and the usual flow-on economic realities!

Create an economic paradigm that leaves none behind or impoverished! And none of the elite privileged, financially worse off by any measure!

Take off the blinders, remove the earplugs and just get on with the economic recovery, as opposed to the business as usual, divisive politics!

Don't just do something, stand there, or get into the holiday spirit and the hula-hula.

That'd probably move economically productive than the current energy policy or lack thereof
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 9 May 2021 12:16:15 PM
Alan, I hope the Indonesian reactor works as intended because replications of it scattered around the Australian grid would be about the only thing that I can see on the longer term horizon saving us from disaster. Given the history of Thorium technology, I am not holding my breathe, but here's hoping anyway.
David
Posted by VK3AUU, Sunday, 9 May 2021 2:29:06 PM
It'll be a working model and housed in a double-hulled barge of extraordinary seaworthiness.

This prototype can be towed inland via estuaries and waterways. And as a floating concept, much of the coastline where our population is concentrated.

The Indonesian model is using sodium as the molten medium, which is where I fear there could be problems if moisture ever egresses. But given that doesn't occur, a prototype the rest of the world could see and one our bonehead drongos can no longer ignore!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Sunday, 9 May 2021 4:08:40 PM
"The Indonesian model is using sodium as the molten medium, which is where I fear there could be problems if moisture ever egresses".

I think you mean "ingresses", but it would be fairly spectacular, whichever.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Sunday, 9 May 2021 5:59:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy