The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Andrew Peacock and his unique role in Papua New Guinea’s development > Comments

Andrew Peacock and his unique role in Papua New Guinea’s development : Comments

By Jeffrey Wall, published 20/4/2021

As even Gough Whitlam acknowledged, Andrew Peacock in that short period laid the ground work for PNG gaining self-government in 1973

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Since I grew up with an inbred hatred of the Liberal Party and its cohort of born to rule, of which Peacock was representative of, I make no apologies for the lack of sympathy for his achievements proffered in this article.
So do we need to give credit to a politician for actually doing his job?

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 20 April 2021 2:24:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So that's who got it all wrong: it was Andrew Peacock.

"I know!" said Andrew "Let's just plonk a Western political system on a congeries of stateless societies like PNG."

Smart guy that Andrew Peacock. Yes, you guessed it: another lawyer.

Just what the world needs: more lawyers.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 20 April 2021 3:16:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It was Australians who voted for the Goaf who did that, not Peacock !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 20 April 2021 5:37:09 PM
individual,

Thanks for pointing that out. The ignorance of some people is truly amazing isn't it?
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 20 April 2021 6:03:53 PM
ttbn,

Your ignorance never ceases to amaze me.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 20 April 2021 6:31:03 PM
I was in Samarai for PNG self government. I had just entered from Oz, & it took me 4 hours to find a customs officer, they were having too much fun to go to work.

I was in Rabaul for the independence celebrations. The way that "went off", indicated how well prepared for even self government the country was.

Poor little HMAS Derwent was assigned saluting duties for New Britain was at anchor in the perfectly still harbor. After 5 shots of her saluting cannon she had totally disappeared in smoke. It was evidentially hours before they could breath down below in the ship. Can't blame the locals for that of course.

The real indication though came from the top of one of the volcanos. Dozens of locals had spent time in Oz being trained to handle a fireworks displays in all the major towns. The Rabaul lot had only let off a few pretty things & Sky rockets before disaster struck. Somehow they ignited almost the entire stock of bangers in a few seconds of chaos.

It was entirely indicative of how well the next few years would go in the newly independent country.

Too soon by about 50 years.

The
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 21 April 2021 3:18:46 PM
Hasbeen,
Was Dennis George at the Pearl farm on Samarai then ?
Posted by individual, Saturday, 24 April 2021 12:03:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy