The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > ‘It’s not as bad as Iwo Jima, I suppose’: the Julian Assange extradition verdict > Comments

‘It’s not as bad as Iwo Jima, I suppose’: the Julian Assange extradition verdict : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 6/1/2021

The mountain of evidence submitted by defence witnesses demonstrating the markedly politicised nature of the Department of Justice’s actions, left little impression.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Just threaten to commit suicide and Bob's your uncle. This horrible creature should rot in jail, in America, the country he wronged.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 8:46:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Assange is finding out how Leftist idealism can back-fire !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 11:00:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Julian Assange is guilty as accused and he now has to pay the price.

He should have kept his actions within the law and he would have been alright.

But no, he had to be the smart guy and poke a stick at the US. He should have enrolled in Power and Punishment 101 at uni.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 11:24:14 AM
Excellent summation, Binoy! And yes, an unexpected reprieve for Assange, but still a dangerous precedent for the future of press freedom and the public's right to have revealed the dirty secrets its governments want kept hidden.
And BTW, ttbn, when did Assange ever threaten to commit suicide?
And individual, why are Assange's revelations 'leftist' idealism? Many on the Right advocate free speech and freedom of the press, yourself included no doubt.
And yes, Mr Opinionated, how dare anyone poke a stick at the all-powerful US of A? No, we should just roll over and let the US dominate, destabilise and exploit the world at will, no matter what the cost for its less powerful inhabitants. We can go ahead and poke the bear all we want ... and the panda ... but no, never the all-sacred eagle! Your sychophantic brainwashing is complete!
Posted by Bronwyn, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 11:57:37 AM
Here's the thing. Julian Assange won a Walkley award for breaking those videos that showed US soldiers shooting innocent unarmed civilians from a chopper.

Although he was never an accredited journo. But still, gets brownie points for breaking the story! Then he accepts stole material, i.e., official secret documents from Manning. And starts to publish them. Even though that act could have cost lives. No lives were lost claim the support group! How could they know that!? They do not know who they or their family members were!

Manning manned up faced his accusers, did a short stint in the stockade got a Presidential pardon, had a gender reassignment. And that could have ended there.

Meanwhile, his partner in a crime allegedly took himself to Sweden where he allegedly raped three women. Then when facing the prospect of the consequences in a Swedish court jumped bail, a criminal offence, then hid in an Ecuadorian embassy for 7 years. And had to be removed by force when he had outstayed his welcome, abused the hospitality afforded him!

Currently, is a suicide risk!? And won't be moved until a suicide prevention facility is made available.

Had he manned up like Mz Manning from the get-go? May have also been granted a presidential pardon. All the alleged internment was of his own making! He still needs to face the courts and account for his alleged crimes in Sweden and against the US!

It's, do the crime, do the time!

Otherwise, others will think there are no consequences for treachery, treachery reserved for the US while far worse criminality/human rights abuse was occurring in both Russia and China. None of which has seemed to bother "Warrior" Assange!?

I commend the judge and her judgement!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 6 January 2021 12:21:55 PM
If they stuck him in prison, & let him commit suicide justice would be naturally served, & we could forget the peanut.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 12:44:27 PM
"And BTW, ttbn, when did Assange ever threaten to commit suicide?".

If he didn't, why did the judge decide that he was likely to commit suicide if extradited? Does she have the right to say that he could/would/might commit suicide in such an important judgement it were not true? Would a judge slur a person's character in that way with no good reason? Did the judge invent the suicide possibility because she is an activist? Do you think before you squawk, Bronwyn?
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 1:02:50 PM
Hasbeen, mein Fuhrer!

Will this be your Final Solution for Julian Assange?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 1:17:33 PM
I didn't say that there isn't a suicide risk. Clearly, there is. Most people would break after ten years of torturous and wrongful imprisonment. The point I made ... for those that can read and comprehend ... is that Assange did not 'threaten' suicide. Your implication that he deliberately made threats to take his life in order to gain sympathy is patently wrong.
Posted by Bronwyn, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 1:19:18 PM
Bronwyn,

Can you read? Or should I ask Can you comprehend what you read?

You're either 10 years old or 110 years old. I just can't make up my mind.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 1:28:55 PM
I have a more fundamental question;
Can a country have a law and then assert that a person, not in that
country, who assisted someone in that country to commit an offense
against that law is subject to that law.
How far can this go ? Can other staff at Wikileaks be guilty of
publishing the leaked information involved ?
Can the editors of the New York Times who also received and published
the information be prosecuted, it appears not.
So it seems that it is a crime to publish that information outside of
the US but it is not a crime for a US citizen to publish it in the USA !.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 4:04:24 PM
There is nothing wrong with my comprehension, Mr Opinionated. You need to make your point properly, instead of lazily resorting to patronising comments about my age and reading ability. We don't all blindly accept your every pronouncement ... you need to argue your case coherently if you're going to come anywhere near convincing skeptics like myself.
Posted by Bronwyn, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 6:09:00 PM
In the US they have a 55mph speed limit.
Could the California Highway Patrol stop and book me on the M1 out
of Hornsby for exceeding that limit.
Now instead of just saying that is ridiculous just tell me why it is
ridiculous.
See the simile ?
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 7 January 2021 2:49:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy