The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Devaluing our humanity: university 'reforms' and government myopia > Comments

Devaluing our humanity: university 'reforms' and government myopia : Comments

By Scott Buchanan, published 3/7/2020

It's telling that the government's proposal to radically overhaul university fee structures has been disparaged by figures from across the political map.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
ttbn,

Yep pardner .......... we're headed for the last roundup.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 5 July 2020 3:08:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I thought more on this.

I asked myself "Why do kids go to university reasonably well rounded and well adjusted, from reasonably good homes and come out like an ANTIFA activist spouting Marxist ideas and communism?"

I asked myself 'If a university educated person acknowledges this:

- That: "Students of the past are trained to enter into worlds that are sometimes vastly different from their own; the mental apparatus one must develop in order to do that produces, in historian Samuel Berner's words, 'a heightened sense of complexity', allowing a person to hold in reserve a bevy of competing truth claims and narratives."

- Then what is the problem?
- What is the bigger picture?'

I'd argue the problem is this:
1. Firstly acknowledge that your stuffing so much info their brains that they are developing cognitive dissonance.
2. Secondly, accept that this means they can't process all the information they're given in a well-rounded way.
3. And thirdly, that this alludes to the obvious issue that they don't have a 'solid foundation' with which to process all this information objectively without themselves buying into it.

Therefore in my opinion the problem is this:

They need a 'solid foundation' with which they can process the information they learn without being affected by it.

That solid foundation is this:

Ethics 'Everybody has the right to live however they choose so long as it doesn't have a negative and detrimental impact on others'
- And it's based on the Harm Principle.

Teach them that first, and maybe they won't lose all sense of themselves trying to process all the Marxist based information that universities are attempting to cram down students throats and indoctrinate them with.

These kids are going into battle, in the war of ideas, without having the tools to mentally defend themselves.

This is what I would say that I think is wrong, on the face value of things.
I'm not and have never been a university student, so must admit I only have the benefit of limited information from the outside looking in to guide my opinion.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 6 July 2020 7:09:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Armchair Critic,

I totally agree with you.

I've completed four degrees across three of Australia's principal universities and I can tell you who the problem students are.

They're mostly in the vocational programs like engineering, architecture, law, medicine and business. They're a real bunch of troublemakers.

They are always carrying on about Carl Marks this and Carl Marks that. Drives you insane!

We need to get rid of all those vocational training students off the campus so that universities can stop being super technical colleges for the engineering, architecture, law students etc who are easily brainwashed.

It's good to know we have people like you who are on the ball. There should be more like you.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 6 July 2020 7:55:45 AM
Humanities will never disappear from any decent university.

Some people really talk bs.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 6 July 2020 8:19:49 AM
Chris,

People do humanities because they want to be educated and knowledgable and understand what it is to be human.

People do Sciences because they want to study how the physical world works.

People do the vocational courses like engineering, law, architecture, medicine, etc. because they want a job.

Personally I think the vocational courses can exist outside a university and should be taught in super technical colleges.

Keep the Arts and Sciences so that a university is a place of learning and depository of knowledge.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 6 July 2020 8:54:48 AM
People do humanities because they want to be educated and knowledgable and understand what it is to be human.
Mr Opinion,
Who employs such people & what exactly do they get paid for or don't they make their living out of their "expertise" ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 6 July 2020 10:42:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy