The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Here’s hoping ScoMo’s new consensus with the unions is not what it appears > Comments

Here’s hoping ScoMo’s new consensus with the unions is not what it appears : Comments

By Graham Young, published 28/5/2020

Is Scott Morrison's industrial reform agenda a serious attempt to make industrial change, or is it #ScottyfromMarketing looking for a mechanism which shifts blame away from him if the economy fails to recover quickly?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
My first thought, the instinctive one, when I first heard about this latest IR thing, was that sounds a bit opportunistic.

Ponzi failing. What's left smashed with the latest episode of big nanna. Everyone talking about the need to change.
Then what happens is we hear about UN agreements, pinwheels roofglass and e scooters, and of course, IR reform.
My how things change..

Also thought there might be a bit of strategic positioning in it.
Now that'd be a change from the usual wouldn't it. A real indicator to those former small business owners their plight is at the front of the mind.
Posted by jamo, Friday, 29 May 2020 12:46:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I always see IR refom as AKA for workers being left worse off, but I have to admit that some reform is needed.

As i said once on OLO, why should i gwet 250% for working on a public holiday.

Having read our EBA, some of the conditions we have defy logic.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 29 May 2020 6:26:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Weekend trading's killing the family. Killed some would argue.
That's what penalty rates are about.
We seem to have forgotten that it has to be about real quality of life.
If it's only about numbers then we're all just economic units, like parts of a machine.
If we're reduced to that then what is the point of it all.
If that's the case then we might as well go raw and start killing others to take their stuff until the strongest one ends up ruling over everyone for himself.
Posted by jamo, Friday, 29 May 2020 2:46:36 PM
jamo,

Don't worry, we're going to be Chinese soon now that Victoria has signed up for the Belt and Road Initiative, meaning that the US won't be able to trust us as an ally any more and will not want us as part of the inner circle of allies any longer. Exactly what China was hoping for.

I just got my Chinese name off Foxy. Ask her if she has one for you. I wanted 'Andrew Forrest' but someone got in there before me.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 29 May 2020 3:11:23 PM
Mr Opinion you wrote
Foxy,

You're a lifesaver!

Though better make it Bigwen Bigwen given that I have two MAs. Let's call it my Pidgeon Chinese name.

Just in time too because I just saw a news release that China's Parliament has voted to incorporate HK totally within the PRC polity, taking aware its almost polis-like status as a self-governing financial entrepot.

I understand the US has pre-empted China's action in that it will declare HK as having no status as a financial hub which I understand will turn HK into a virtual economic ghost town being of no benefit to the CCP.

I expect to see some pretty dramatic scenes coming out of HK. Will the West open its international borders to a probable flood of HK refugees?

I respond - Seriously all you speak of an "influx" of Chinese refugees into Australia/now Hong Kong refugees?

You have previously spoken about Australia not interested in entertaining "Yellow" people.

Who are you?

Your "biased" opinions are not of Australians..... or do you have an a biased agenda of your own?
Posted by SAINTS, Saturday, 30 May 2020 6:06:01 PM
SAINTS,

I have never used "Chinese refugees" and "Yellow" in any context. You are saying this in order to twist the argument in your favour, which tells me you are an ignorant person such as an engineer, lawyer, or some other person of that ilk.

You ask "Who are you?". I am Bigwen Bigwen.

If you have been following the news you will have seen that people in HK are starting to seek refuge in UK, which has increased its visa numbers to people in HK.

It looks like you belong to the pro-China camp like LOUDmouth.

Your name doesn't happen to be Andrew by any chance?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 31 May 2020 10:10:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy