The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ABC will prosper with much less public funding > Comments

The ABC will prosper with much less public funding : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 21/5/2020

US public broadcasting only gets 27% of its total $3.04 billion revenue from government taxes and grants

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Bias is human yes, but reporting the news cannot contain bias... its known as propaganda!

1. independent review
2. new funding model based on strict adherence to legally binding charter contract
3. Lets have some positive discrimination (the favourite of lefties if I recall) to make ABC journalists politics reflect that of the voting public.. that way if bias did raise its ugly, nasty little head, at least the bias would balance out.
4. part of the review should include fair Work to review the salaries of ABC 'stars'... their hourly rates would make QC's wince!

Enough said, now lets await the other comments on your article, rather than defending it.
Posted by Alison Jane, Thursday, 21 May 2020 9:07:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I disagree and most vehemently!

Might suit an empire build Murdoch but never ever freedom of the press or political accountability!

Everywhere there is a tyrant trying to grab power, there is always an attack on the press and the rights and freedoms of the citizenry.

If we have to have a self-funded ABC and a return to radio licences that used to be the funding model that we all of us with TV in the lounge or a radio in the bedroom, paid as an annual subscription.

Then we need Our ABC able to provide commercial-free vision and audio of the footy and the cricket! Should make all the other free to air channels as happy as pigs in mud!? Make their rivers of gold disappear! And remind Credilin/Jones and co to be careful what you wish for.

And allow the board complete unfettered freedom to choose their CEO! without the usual political imposition/interference/demands/ etc.

What do you think, Chris? Back to the future or what?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 21 May 2020 12:23:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am a firm supporter and believer in an Independent broadcaster of news and commentary on that news- which is the ABC. To provide that freedom of expression, and to provide programs for all ages- from the children to the seniors, requires money. It's as simple as that. From its inception, the ABC has been able to do that with Federal Government funding. If it depended upon the whim of private funding, that independence would be compromised, and cut whenever for whatever reason the private source decided.

The argument that we should only hear the views of 'the majority who won the elections' is so biased, that it reinforces the argument for an independent ABC, free from political interference and sponsorship from a private source of funds.
Posted by Cyclone, Thursday, 21 May 2020 12:42:10 PM
Obviously a lot of effort went into writing this article, but nothing will change my mind.

I've long ago finalised the struggle over this topic, and equally long ago walked away in disgust from all media formats, with the exception of news flashes and updates etc on internet.

I've my own personal biases, which have been cultivated through the years. That makes me the A-typical public. We know what we believe to be true, and when told otherwise, will react accordingly.

Obviously the ABC is unable to please everybody in a population of free thinkers, but I don't need a rainbow media to guide my cultural choices.

After reading this article, nothing at all has changed in my attitude towards the ABC.
I'd be happy to see the whole enterprise shut down, and as soon as possible.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 21 May 2020 12:52:48 PM
Well put Driver Dan. Equally so we all have out human bias, that's what makes us individuals. BUT we don't need the elitest, hubristic bias of the Lefty/ Greenie luvies of "their scary ABC" shoving it down our throats at our own cost.

SHUT THEM DOWN... there we go a slogan for bumpers on all our gas guzzling 6.2 litre v8 muscle cars... while "their scary ABC" staffers can hug their lovely $130k Tesla electric cars and drink organic wine on their well funded public sector superannuation packages. And then we could turn ultimo in sydney into a homeless shelter for the needy, rather than a sheltered workshop for the greedy!
Posted by Alison Jane, Thursday, 21 May 2020 3:17:43 PM
the victimhood mentality of totally overpaid feminist is really sickening seen it comes from my money. The supporters of the marxist gargage spewed out by the abc should pay for it themselves.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 21 May 2020 3:37:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy