The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Morrison needs to finish the job > Comments

Morrison needs to finish the job : Comments

By Mark Buckley, published 14/5/2020

Scott Morrison has, in many ways, been ‘saved’ by the coronavirus. At the end of February and heading into March, his public standing was at rock-bottom.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I like Scott Morrison.

I like particularly he is a practicing Christian. That fact also alignes him with our Christian heratage and culture. He is about as close as you get to suitable.

There is a vast difference between Christian charity and communism: A strange accusation levelled at him in these ranks. Unjustified.

The other obvious omission here is the decision making process is motivated from expert advice. This advice may or may not be sensible in the long run; he takes the risk.
I like that about him. Responsibility.

This is a strange time in history for me, since it's a first ever I've had a shine towards an LNP leader. "But there is more".. the shine spreads across boundaries to the NSW premier, Gladys Berejiklian. A clear thinker with loads of energy. And from the Eastern Suburbs, not something I'm generally over-fond of.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 14 May 2020 12:46:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ttbn,

What, you think the Donald hasn't put his own swamp in place ? So who's the mug ?

Interesting logic, that, as some think, because of the economic damage that the lock-downs are causing, we have to lift them. What about the likely spread of disease, others will say. Yeah, but we have to open up everything again ! As if, in a perfect world, the greater need for one will automatically over-ride any other issue, and it will go away (or anyway, it's not happening at all). What they call 'magic thinking'.

It reminds me of some importunate relatives, who used to ring up asking for money. 'I'm skint,' I would truthfully say. 'But I need $ 500 [or whatever] ! I need it now !' As if I would answer, 'Oh, all right then, I'll just pull it out of my arse.' And they would answer, 'Yes, thanks, good on you.' Magic thinking.

Yes, we need to open up as soon as possible. But after the danger of an uncontained epidemic is pretty much over. Yes, that will extent the economic crisis. That's how it goes.

The US is a shining example of social experiments in this regard: opening up while the Curve is still rising outside of New York and New Jersey, will be about as disastrous as one could imagine. We'll see. Major hotspots in the US now are almost all out in the hick country, not in the big cities, the first ports-of-call from overseas and the bright-light centres for their own countrymen. In many US counties out in the sticks, positive-test numbers are already doubling every week:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?action=click&pgtype=Article&state=default&module=styln-coronavirus&variant=show&region=TOP_BANNER&context=storylines_menu

Of course, the UK is not much better. The Celtic fringe countries are trying to shut themselves off from the Sassenachs, even though they already have far lower incidences of positive cases than across England, i.e. are in much better control of the virus. Again, we'll see soon enough.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Thursday, 14 May 2020 1:14:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
He has just hit rock bottom here in North West Tasmania , the heartland of Liberals in Tasmania. refusing Teddy Sheehan a Victoria Cross, after it was RECOMMENDED by the Military Commission ,is a stupid a political decision as one could possibly make . No longer is it a case of 'The Military don't want it "... now it is a case of Morrison and the Liberals don't want it ... How stupid can one be to transfer this from the Military onto your own political back ... as I say ... STUPID !
Posted by Aspley, Thursday, 14 May 2020 3:22:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
American economist, Thomas Sowell:

"It is hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong".
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 14 May 2020 3:54:58 PM
ttbn doesn't that quote of Thomas Sowell capture the problem of this entire country so well.
The risk aversion and safety scam has ballooned government and lined the pockets of rent seekers for so long now. All activity's subject to the approval of others. Too often for a fee and all in the name of keeping us "safe".
I see this massive corona panic as just the latest example of what's been growing for a good three decades. The camel crushed by a tree trunk.
Posted by jamo, Friday, 15 May 2020 12:06:22 AM
Regarding the article. Yes current governments are dangerously clumsy. All of them state and federal. They're more clumsy than the ones preceding them. Those preceding ones were more clumsy than their preceding ones also. The pattern's continued for a long time.
The problem isn't that they aren't doing enough. It's that they're trying to do too much all the time. They fiddle where they shouldn't.
Much of it's because too many keep demanding more should be done.
Posted by jamo, Friday, 15 May 2020 12:28:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy