The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Uranium, extinction, expedited approvals and extreme risks: the need for stronger environmental laws > Comments

Uranium, extinction, expedited approvals and extreme risks: the need for stronger environmental laws : Comments

By Mia Pepper, published 14/5/2020

The appointment of a former uranium mining company executive to the EPBC Review Committee suggests that there may be some support within the government for a weakening of uranium mining regulations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Correction, 29 PSI should read 20 PSI.

A. J. Having probs with memory stick downloads.

Microsoft seems to think my passwords are in error! I guess that's because they can't get past them to hack into my system or email accounts?

So unable to comply with request.

If I can still help you? Would appreciate a temp email address to which I will send what I'm able, on MSR thorium, if that's ok?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 14 May 2020 12:36:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm pleased to confirm that Kirk Sorensen has been given a job with the U.S. Atomic agency, now working o solve a few minor problems with MSR. Most of which seem to be the production/release of Tritium? Some minor corrosion.

Seems well on the way to solving those probs, getting a thousand MW reactor off of the drawing board, generating extraordinarily inexpensive carbon-free electricity.

Activists generally obsess over strontium 90 and cesium!

However, even these nasties can be put to positive use in a controlled environment. To preserve biodegradable products, i.e., food!

Cryovaced, irradiated meat treated in the proscribed manner? As fresh as the day packed, seven years later. Ditto fresh fruit/vegetables, even without refrigeration, regardless of temperature variations. Should have the preppers the world over queuing to buy a couple of years supply?

Keep our farmers flat out like a lizard drinking trying to satisfy that demand?

I expect some very positive announcements regarding licking the final minor probs with MSR thorium inside a year, now that Kirk has been given his job with the U.S. Atomic commission!

Our government is elected to govern and for all of us, not just a small vocal minority who wouldn't know you were up them, unless you hollered!

Our fuel supply is threatened and wouldn't be, if we simply cooked thermal coal to create CNG, using safe clean nuclear heat.

In the process create thousands of new longer-term, transitional jobs.

As would the enormous medical tourism be for our outback via the rollout of bismuth 213, day clinics, out there!
As a queue that would be all, we could possibly handle, for a decade or more!

Deionization dialysis desalination would allow us to use desalinated seawater instead of river water or that of aquifers. This method creates as much as 95% potable water and for a quarter of the energy input and cost of traditional desalination! Cheap enough for cost-effective, broad-scale irrigation! Rice? Cotton?

Bismuth 213, day clinics? Over the cold dead hand of big pharma and their puppets in "Australian" medicine!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 14 May 2020 4:24:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you, Mia Pepper, for clearly setting out the need for the Review of the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act to find that the Act needs to be strengthened, rather than weakened.

It is clearly absurd to assess uranium mining and milling as not "nuclear actions'. Obviously they ARE nuclear actions, and are the front end of the whole radioactive nuclear chain. The nuclear lobby likes to pretend that the uranium industry is the same as all other mining. But it's not, as it carries its special radioactive danger to human health, and to the environment.

The fiasco of the federal Environment Minister (Melissa Price at the time) overriding Western Australia's EPA, and approving Cameco's Yeelirrie project, illustrates the weakness of Australia's environmental laws. In that case, it concerned the protection of species. And this is another part of the EPBC Act which needs strengthening, (not removal, as the nuclear lobby would wish)

Australia's little coterie of nuclear schills will be doing their usual jump up and down, in the comments section. But that won't stop Mia Pepper's article being seen by many as credible and convincing.
Posted by ChristinaMac1, Thursday, 14 May 2020 4:24:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
C.M. Tour diatribe is, as usual, a fact-free misrepresentation of the nuclear industry and uranium mining.

No mining operation is risk-free and none are more dangerous and come with a huge cost in human life and ill-health than coal.

Used to be Asbestos.

I'm glad the government has finally starting to take expert advice as opposed to jumping to the tune off diabolically disingenuous mendacious antidevelopment antinuclear activists like yourself.

The government is elected to govern tor all, not the loudest noisiest, vocal minority which knows as much about uranium mining and nuclear operations as I know about the chemical composition of the dark side of the moon!

Fact. Nuclear power has a history of lower fatalities than your renewables! FACT!

Get an education and some factual knowledge before you start trying to control our energy policy and through it, our recovery?

Or maybe you and your crazies, don't give a Rat's about anyone else or anyone else's rights, least of all the preventable death toll among death sentence cancer patients

I get that you and yours just don't give a toss for those thousands that outnumber the annual road toll by more than double/die in unimaginable pain!

YOU REALLY SHOULD BE IN POLITICS!

And just not good enough C.M.!

Your crocodile tears convince nobody! But your completely transparent and complete lack of anything resembling normal human empathy in an of your posts, clearly does!

And completely clueless about mining or safe clean carbon-free, nuclear energy!

I promise the sky won't fall, your phone will still work, the trams will still run and the cow will still produce milk, regardless of your insane obsessions!
Alan B
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 14 May 2020 4:57:02 PM
Greenies love their EPBC act. It'd have to be one of the most harmful legacies of the Howard government. The only fix needed is complete repeal.
Posted by jamo, Thursday, 14 May 2020 6:11:35 PM
poor old ateday.. ...Renewables have no downside impacts... you naïve little thing!.

Alan B, try rory996@gmail.com That would be appreciated
Posted by Alison Jane, Thursday, 14 May 2020 9:54:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy