The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia needs to reassess the role and management of its national parks > Comments

Australia needs to reassess the role and management of its national parks : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 24/1/2020

The 'State of the Parks 2004' report, said that, in more than 90 per cent of NSW national parks, attempts to manage weeds and pest animals were non-existent, non-effective, or producing only a slow change.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
Jamo,
I'm not disagreeing with you. What i'm on about is that with the present mentality of addressing the Bushfire & other natural disasters, the most effective way is cold burning. The suggestion to mow the understory is fine however, considering that the most bush is on mountain slopes & valleys etc. makes mowing impossible or at the least extremely difficult. Also, thick undergrowth is where much of the wildlife gets tangled & can't escape the flames.
What I'm getting at is, let's take action with the will & method available & clear the mostly introduced undergrowth now ! Waiting for the "experts" to come up with yet more investigations & whilst the undergrowth is building up again for the next disastrous fire season, is what caused the problems in the first place. We need to act now because we can't afford to wait for the "experts" to see practical reason !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 1 February 2020 7:33:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
jamo,
Also, mowing spreads seeds including weed seeds. Fire knocks it on the head whilst many indigenous seeds need fire or so I'm led to believe !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 1 February 2020 11:17:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My experience is entirely the opposite jamo. Forest grazing blocks were locked up every 3 or 4 years to allow a build up of grass to carry a fire hot enough to kill gum tree & other saplings/seedlings. Without this fire an understory of struggling seedlings turned into a ticket, with little grass. This scrub was of little use to man, stock or wildlife.

After burning the grasses were the quickest to establish, & if not over grazed, would crowd out & reduce establishment of less desirable shrub & tree seedlings.

National parks are now so full of vermin flora & fauna, it really doesn't matter what you do to it, as long as it no longer presents a danger to neighboring properties.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 4 February 2020 6:31:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy