The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A more effective world > Comments

A more effective world : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 7/1/2020

In the United States, the share of wealth owned by the richest one percent of the adult population has increased, from 22 percent in the late 1970s to 37 percent in 2018.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The Great Depression was created primarily by the concentration of our finite wealth in too few hands!

And we seem to be heading in his direction again around the world where oases of comparative wealth are surrounded by deserts of poverty and scarcity!

We hear every day where multi-millionaires and billionaires pay less tax as a percentile of their income, that others have essentially earned or provided for them, tha their employees!

And other instances of criminal tax avoidance by a few of the aforementioned. With the aid of governments in some instances?

Tax was invented to aid in the redistribution of our wealth. And we the people built things like power station and hydros, telephone companies, bank,s, insurance companies and a few airlines to mention a few that used to provide billions in additional income for a now cash strapped government thanks to fools who clearly didn't share a functional rational brain between them!?

This means we have no choice but to reform our tax system with still missing, actual tax reform as opposed to revenue surety merely masquerading as reform?

My selection would be a 15% unavoidable flat tax and no tax write-offs etc. This would mean the business world would the pay an effective tax of 8% given former tax reconciliation and compliance costs could instead be returned to the bottom line.

Consider, the top tax paid in actual dollars to inland revenue during the year ending 2016-2017, was just 13% with some paying as little as 4% and a many as 40% paying o company tax at all?

Basically, all this avoidance etc. is costing the budget bottom line as much as 60 billion PA.

Other than that we need to de-privatise infrastructure and organisations (ours) that was sold without the people's expressed consent! (Effectively stolen for all practical purposes, I believe) No permission was sort via a referendum!

Or properly flagged leading into an election!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 7 January 2020 12:36:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Think when the top one per cent owned just 22% of the wealth, we were the third wealthiest nation on the planet and enjoying unprecedented prosperity a was the U. S. We had affordable housing and domiciles that could be supported with a single income. And where COE's salaries never exceeded 30 times that of the factory or shop floor!

Yes, the tax system has been reformed to redistribute our wealth but always in the wrong direction towards the leaners and parasitic drones in society, who to a generic man believe the world owes them a living and the rest of us were put here to deliver just that!

Time for a cool change!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 7 January 2020 1:07:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Come off it Alan.

Tax was invented to fund a war, nor redistribution of anything.

It appears all this stuff is the politics of envy. These people simply want to get their hands on all the wealth so they can direct it's spending, & gather to themselves a little of it as they do.

Why you would expect ex world bank economists to do something to help the poor I really can't imagine.

With education today being so accessible, anyone with drive & ability can do what ever they want with their life.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 7 January 2020 1:31:34 PM
Alan B.,
>The Great Depression was created primarily by the concentration of our finite wealth in too few hands!
Actually it was created primary y the US Federal Reserve attempting to reimplement the Real Bills Doctrine.

Your attempt to hit taxation from profit onto turnover would also be catastrophic for the economy.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hasbeen,
Why do you dismiss wealth redistribution as being about envy rather than a genuine attempt to improve people's quality of life?
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 7 January 2020 3:32:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh those 'evil' Jews with all the money eh Armchair?
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 7 January 2020 3:34:13 PM
Hasbeen, your view is one of the ideologically driven conservatives. Not everyone had the chance to get an education or indeed all that could come from that. I'd be surprised if you weren't one of those going to uni when it was free, courtesy of Gough Whitlam, the only good reform he did, in my view.

And I see where you have simply ignored the rest as usual and focused exclusively on the reasons for tax. which may have begun life as wartime funding but has since morphed into wealth redistribution and mostly all in the wrong direction.

Something that might be addressed by my proposed 15% flat tax the extreme right-wing also like.

Aiden. disagree that a flat tax on income is a turnover tax, one can have huge turnover but no actual profit in which case a tax on profit would not ensue! I get that you do not want the compliance costs o just die a natural death and return to the bottom line. And sound the death knell that is the money churn of tax compliance. CPA's ought to be doing something far more productive!

I'll thank you to stop misrepresenting my views which you clearly do not understand? Given your reinterpretation!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 7 January 2020 5:39:18 PM
Alan B,
Whitlam didn't reform this nation, he deformed it with the help of the selfish non-thinkers !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 7 January 2020 6:37:52 PM
individual,
Whether Whitlam was reforming or deforming, the selfish non thinkers took every opportunity they could to stop him. Eventually they succeeded.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

runner, are you on the right thread?

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Alan B.,
> disagree that a flat tax on income is a turnover tax,
When you previously posted a flat tax proposal it was; is this one really different?

>one can have huge turnover but no actual profit in which case a tax on profit would not ensue!
So are you saying that one in that situation wouldn't be liable for that tax under your proposal?

> I get that you do not want the compliance costs o just die a natural death and return to the bottom line.
That's a strawman and you know it!

You assume that enormous tax compliance costs are typical for businesses, rather than just a feature of those businesses that are extremely active in tax minimisation.
And you idiotically assume that businesses would do nothing to avoid your tax, as you still fail to comprehend that calling it "unavoidable" doesn't make it so.

FWIW I'm pro free trade. I'd like to see GST (which has high compliance costs) phased out and the tax burden shifted onto profits (and eventually onto land, though that last stage would have to take many decades to implement in order to avoid unfairly disadvantaging existing landowners).
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 8 January 2020 1:21:17 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
the selfish non thinkers took every opportunity
Aidan,
Unfortunately, the Left is choc-a-bloc full of them & yes they're sabotaging everything they can & Whitlam provided them with the platform. The sad, demoralising part is that they all think they're so switched on yet the contrary is the case.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 8 January 2020 1:18:26 PM
Left wing - Right wing, the opposite appendages of the same lame & dying duck called "democracy". . Paid for and bought off by the CIA & MI6 backed interests, it quietly sank in Australia with barely a ripple off the shores of Lake Burley-Griffin, circa 1975.
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Wednesday, 8 January 2020 7:48:59 PM
No Alan, not everyone had the chance, but today they do, which is what I said. It took rich parents or very high academic achievement & a lot of hard work in my day.

I'd finished my book learning, my motor racing, & my major earning period, & was off sailing the Pacific when the Whitlam catastrophe occurred.

Viewing it all from a distance made the calamity of an academic in charge of anything more than a classroom so totally obvious, it was very painful to watch.

Yes finishing my degree was costly, but today anyone with even moderate mental capacity, & some common sense can get all the education they want, on the learn now pay later system. If they muck around at school & don't bother, that is no bodies fault bur their own.

Now Aidan, please give me some reason why the mainstream should have their hard earned income redistributed to those who did muck around, did not bother getting the best education they could have, & now have a low earning capacity.

Those who did not take the opportunities offered to day to all, have no right to the good life at the expense of those who have worked very hard for what they have. It is not that hard to go & get a truck drivers licence, & I know a few truck drivers who are earning well over the average wage. I have no sympathy for lazy whingers
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 9 January 2020 10:53:31 AM
Hasbeen,
You seem to be attempting to paint wealth redistribution as a transfer of funds from the deserving rich to the undeserving poor!

In reality, those who receive it are often the same people who fund it, at different stages of their lives. All Australians deserve a good standard of living, but the times when we most need money are not the times we have the greatest earning capacity.

We shouldn't write off or punish those who fail to take the opportunities they should; instead we should ensure that opportunities are abundant. So if someone has a low earning capacity because they didn't get the best education they could have, the best solution is to ensure (and ensure they're aware) that they can get that education now, to enable them to lift their earning capacity.

Getting an HGV licence is certainly a solution for some people, but it's not for everyone and the lessons are not cheap.

The problem isn't that you have no sympathy for the lazy whingers; it's that you assume all those who benefit from wealth redistribution to be lazy whingers.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 9 January 2020 1:05:06 PM
The distribution of wealth in Australia is governed by those receiving the most benefit with the least contribution, the Public Service !
In second place are the whiners who are mostly 2nd to 3rd generation Welfare recipients.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 9 January 2020 1:16:08 PM
Had a drink at the local with a woman in her 50's & the conversation touched on literally everything until it came to my pet issue, National Service.
I said that in my opinion the # 1 priority to get this nation off its butt is a National Service. Ooooops !
Not a good idea when talking to an indoctrinated Leftie !
No, No, we need better parents she said. I said I couldn't agree more & the only way to get better parents is to give their kids a better, more responsible upbringing than their parents had.
A National Service would be that vital step but no, she refused to see my point.
My argument is that how on earth can we expect the young to be more responsible if they're brought up by irresponsible parents ?
I'm ready for the Flak, go for it PLease ! Offer some ideas to get us out of this dreadful status quo.
Posted by individual, Friday, 10 January 2020 5:43:03 PM
The me,me, gimme, gimme, look at me, look at me , BA holding crowd is just not interested in repairing Australia !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 11 January 2020 8:20:24 AM
Oh those 'evil' Jews with all the money
runner,
then there are those Australians who sell the ground from under their feet, something the Jews don't !
Posted by individual, Monday, 13 January 2020 8:46:58 AM
Do the Jews sell their properties to the Chinese like some Australians do ?
Do the jews have most of their goods made in China ?
The jews have a National Service !
The Jews are educated !
The jews look after their own !
What do Australians do for Australia ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 13 January 2020 2:36:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy