The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Have politics changed ScoMo's Christianity? > Comments

Have politics changed ScoMo's Christianity? : Comments

By Spencer Gear, published 6/11/2019

Perhaps Christians are loath to criticise Morrison because we have a Christian PM – at last.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Not_Now.Soon,

<<OzSpen, from what you've shown in this article it seems ScoMo is along the same lines. He dodges some of those questions because he's not strong in his Christian foundation to stand up to the opposition. A quality that unfortunately many of us share. If you can, pray for him.>>

Thank you for your faithful reminder. I don't find the foundations of his faith to be strong enough for an adequate public declaration of what he believes. He needs to do this with special knowledge of how to be sensitive to the beliefs of others in our multicultural society.

He needs to do it with gentleness and respect.

I must confess I have not prayed for him as often as I should have. Thank you for this timely reminder.
Posted by OzSpen, Thursday, 14 November 2019 7:49:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spencer, your comments are thought provoking, as ever. One thing that disturbs me is the level of contempt directed towards Scott Morrison on social media, contempt largely because he is a professed Christian. All national leaders have targets on their backs. For Christians the target is twice the size and painted in fleuro .
I suspect that ScMo is trying to be "wise as a serpent" in his equivocal responses to questions about his faith, and instead is showing himself to be weak as a kitten. He will be vilified by some whatever he does and says. At least let the vilification come in the wake of boldly speaking God's Word, not in pussyfooting around in a vain attempt to avoid giving offence.
Christian friends, pray for our Prime Minister.
Posted by PenelopeP, Friday, 15 November 2019 8:10:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PenelopeP,

Thank you for your encouragement.

Sadly, often I see this contempt directed at ScoMo and Christians with the use of logical fallacies, as seen in this thread:

+ 'Then you chuck a Trigglypuff tanting out with your fallacy waffle. {Please explain}'

+ 'Are you so stupid that you don't realise you're just proving my original statement correct? That 'Christian peer pressure' is just one big psy-op of manipulation and control, from cradle to the grave?'

Since I don't read much of social media, I don't know the level of contempt against him. However, I see it in the 'Comments' sections in the mainline news media. See "'I'll burn for you': How our Pentecostal PM energised Christian voters" (The Sydney Morning Herald, May 21, 2019), http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election-2019/i-ll-burn-for-you-pentecostal-pm-energises-christian-voters-20190521-p51prq.html.

At the time of writing this, there were 482 comments with some provocative comments such as:

* "If the so-called 'Christian' vote is going to decide governments henceforth, then Australia is in big trouble because, historically (and notably excepting Kevin Rudd), these 'Christian' politicians also espouse the rejection of science, equality, truth and honesty".

* 'So how about explaining what attributes of Jesus's teaching are observable in Morrison?'

* 'Scomo has "faith"....no reason, rationality, no evidence and he's our PM'.
Posted by OzSpen, Saturday, 16 November 2019 6:49:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy