The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Salty water anytime, but we won’t drink sewage! > Comments

Salty water anytime, but we won’t drink sewage! : Comments

By Charles Essery, published 14/10/2019

The solution has been with us for millennia and the technology to deliver it has been used and applied for nearly 50 years around the world.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Talking of water from sewerage, Adelaide mains water is pretty awful. Maybe its got a bit something in it already. Sometimes it stinks when you turn on a tap. Colourless, but not odourless and tasteless as water is supposed to be. It's OK for washing cooking, coffee when boiled, but we always have a cask of 'spring' water for drinking.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 14 October 2019 12:00:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All that stands between the people and sane decisions are the, as usual, recalcitrant decision-makers!

FIRST CAB OFF THE RANK, IS TO BECOME THE WORLD'S REPOSITORY FOR NUCLEAR WASTE! FOR THE ANNUAL BILLIONS WE'D EARN ANNUALLY.

After that, with the necessary funding stream secured for decades! Get busy with MSR R+D. Once we have a working prototype, get busy mass producing them to create the world's cheapest ever, energy! As a bonus, carbon-free energy!

And in the process extract the still unspent energy in this unspent fuel! Reticulate it via buried graphene cored cables.

Yes, this could cost us a few hundred billion.

But we have the funding tool and the income we'd earn as soon as we get these things online and operational! And given we fast track the above with a full-court press, able to create thousands of jobs in the construction phase!

Then later from the queue of energy dependant high tech manufacture that would feel compelled to relocate here, particularly if we fixed the tax system by replacing the dog's breakfast we have now, with a 15% unavoidable flat tax!

I've explained that in great detail in previous posts, so no need to further elaborate!

With affordable, reliable energy rolled out across the nation, we can finally get cracking with deionisation dialysis desalination and get the joint drought proofed!

Given the funding stream secured, all the above can be done and off-budget, via an internal deficit, we pay no interest on!

The bills, all of them, paid for with reserve bank cheques! And as the assets appear out of the factory and are commissioned, the value of the new assets offset the debt created to build them, and then the income can be directed straight back to the reserve or internal revenue!

It's time we reclaimed our purloined economic sovereignty and got it back and in harness working exclusively for us as opposed to shonky, debt-laden, tax-avoiding, price gouging, profit repatriating, foreign investors our government seem to be in league with/serving!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 14 October 2019 5:55:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Relax, read the words. This is about getting people to think about the water cycle from what I can see. Dams are fine, if you can find the right spot to put them,. Most good spots have already been taken or locked up in national parks. Rain tanks are great, particularly in big cities... but then they require effort to treat the water to keep them safe. I use rainwater for 90% of my water needs and because I treat it properly, can drink it,.... but mine is chlorine free, beautifully soft, and make tea taste superb, and the ice for my G&T is great! That small dash of " chlorine free water in my single malt is … well "to die for!" SO Rainwater tanks are good. next stop is desalinated water or recycled water. Recycled water seems best according to the article, so... chill and think it through. Water is water, and while some farmers suffer for shortages, most of us do pretty well compared to the rest of the world. So stop wiiiinnning.. be thankful for what we got and as the guy says, "Lets talk ___!", just like Guinness, its good for you as the 1960's adds used to say! Ha Ha
Posted by Alison Jane, Monday, 14 October 2019 6:34:23 PM
ttbn,
Desalination is fine for small communities but way too wasteful in power, chemicals, filters, etc for huge plants. Their environmental impact is massive !
Posted by individual, Monday, 14 October 2019 6:50:10 PM
Yes...and what about recycled water I collect my rainwater and treat it, I have to sent my waste water to Sydney water by law ( they wont let me recycle it by intense regulatory constraints). they treat it and pump it out into the river I live on... at a higher quality than the river that runs past my garden. Good on them, but they could recycle it at nominal cost and supply the rest of the town with it at a quality better than the water they supply don the tap. Follow that one and think about water cycles, not technologies and what you are fed my media and who ever taught you. Its NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, MATE." I say again, we don't really understand how lucky we are... even in the dryer ends of this 'lucky country'
Posted by Alison Jane, Monday, 14 October 2019 8:33:18 PM
Read J.V. Hanna, W.D. Johnson, R.A. Quezada, M.A. Wilson and Lu Xiao¬Qiao. Characterisation of aqueous humic substances before and after chlorination. Environmental Science and Technology, 1991, 25, 1160-1164.
Posted by Mick Wilson, Monday, 14 October 2019 9:26:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy