The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An Indian view of climate change, and where it led me > Comments

An Indian view of climate change, and where it led me : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 12/8/2019

The IPCC summarises: estimates of global annual economic losses for an additional temperature increase of 2°C are between 0.2 and 2.0 per cent of income.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
SR,

it's not just hard for loudmouth, but hard for the majority of people who are not prepared to accept something as fact when there are any conflicting facts or factors by their peers, challenging some of the facts we are expected to believe without question.
Those of us with a more skeptical and inquisitive demeanor are prone to thinking beyond the obvious and looking into the background of some of these claims.
If there are doubts or exclusivities, it automatically brings into question the thing in question.
This is where GW or CC sits with a rising number of people daily.
It does not help the cause when trying to highlight the negatives of GW or CC and showing pictures of cooling towers at a nuclear plant emitting steam and trying to BS the public into implying that what is actually steam is some kind of dangerous smoke.
You see ALL the other stuff suggested as evidence from reputable sources, like NASA, we can't question or even understand, so we don't know the terms of reference and therefore the 'line' that was adopted in arriving at their findings.
And so we remain skeptical.
Posted by ALTRAV, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:01:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks, SR, but I was curious about all of the factors that might be leading to global warming, of which the increased production of CO2 is reportedly a major one.

If we're talking about an increase in heat in the atmosphere, is it possible that the burning of fossil fuels - regardless of the by-product of CO2 - and the conversion of the energy generated into electricity which is used, say, for air-conditioning (so two sources of extra heat production: in the power stations and in the operation of all those AC appliances) has been adding to global warming, particularly to the urban heat island effect ?

And to what extent, if any, are any 'natural factors' like sun-spots etc. ?

It would be nice to have a break-down of how much different factors each contribute to global warming, so that we can get an idea of what proportion is the fault of CO2.

And, conversely, to what extent can, say, a square kilometre of re-forestation, (or other ameliorative factors) can contribute to removing CO2 from the atmosphere ?

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:50:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
plantagenet are you sure it has nothing to do with the smarties protecting the multi trillion dollar industries in renewables?
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 1:35:52 PM
Loudmouth,

I ask, if someone were to answer you and furnish you with the data and information you request, would/could you trust it?
Is it not possible that it could be simply cut and pasted from existing data and information, which more than likely could come from pro-GW,CC sources.
I have learned that in life, more and more we are being lied to, mis-led and generally used up, for some one else's financial or power gain.
But ALWAYS with the result that we end up losing or paying.
So I am always skeptical and careful not to take any information at face value, until I have researched it more or come to a conclusion about it's true value.
If my enquiries render an open finding, with no tractable or definitive conclusion, the thing in question, by it's own definition is not to be believed, until there is consensus.
Remember the old joke;
What is the definition of madness?
Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result each time.
Posted by ALTRAV, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 6:04:10 PM
Altrav,

Yeah, I forgot about volcanic eruptions and marine fissure emissions. I don't suppose we can do much about them.

I agree that we need to spend time investigating claims one way or the other, as much as our particular expertise allows.

My point about air-conditioning, motor vehicles, etc. in urban areas is that, by definition, they produce heat energy which, my elementary physics knowledge suggests, can't be destroyed, only converted into some other form of energy. The gist is that the heat that we need or produce (maybe electric cars will minimise this) dissipates into the atmosphere, kicking up the temperature imperceptibly - no need to blame CO2 in those cases - except, of course, in the production of electricity in the first place.

I'm much more concerned with ameliorative programs: re-forestation, carbon sequestration, whatever, and why there isn't much more focus on those to reduce CO2 already in the atmosphere ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 8:02:10 PM
Loudmouth,

I can only wonder as to the extent of these allegations that the human race is responsible for.
I have said in the past that the Earth is a big, very big, dynamic structure.
It is alive, it has a living centre, and a living surface, so it is possible that it suffers from what the usual daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and so on, cycles create naturally.
Temperature rises and falls are nothing new, and the fact that the CO2 levels also fluctuate, only means that it is just one of the elements that make up this world, at a particular moment in time.
I choose to stand back and consider the relativity of this current controversy, which has several names, ie; GW, CC.
In standing back I also look at the Globe Atlas, and see how very localised cities and areas of pollution are compared to the absolute vastness and area of the Earth as a whole.
It behoves me to consider ALL manner of reason as to why something is so.
I have been a witness to too many lie's and mis-information, for the sake of money and power.
And having experienced these egregious actions and seen the results and ramifications I am always mistrusting of these so called major events and seek who/what, is/are behind them.
I cannot ignore things like the Y2K bug, another lying con job.
And so it is that I find myself stuck on OLO mainly for the sake of "keeping the bastards honest", as a well known past politician used to say quite regularly.
I cannot reason with the unreasonable, and it appears that OLO has more than it's fair share of them, not that I can mention her nom de plume, and her band of misguided followers.
Posted by ALTRAV, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 10:45:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy