The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Frédéric Martel sets the cat among the pigeons at the Vatican > Comments

Frédéric Martel sets the cat among the pigeons at the Vatican : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 29/5/2019

Homosexuality spreads the closer one gets to the holy of holies

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

Dear Peter,

Ever since their early beginnings, religious orders, particularly those of Christianity, have been perceived by all sorts of sexual deviants as the ideal vantage point for preying on their victims with a maximum of success – in all impunity – homosexuals, paedophiles, rapists and predators of various other forms of paraphilia.

Another distinguishing feature of Christianity is that it bears the stigma of sadomasochism :

• the gratification, joy and exhilaration that the image of the sacrificial Christ nailed to the cross procures for its devotees;

• the tortured personality of Saul of Tarsus, Christianity’s principal founder, theologian and proponent (2 Corinthians 12:7 - 2 Corinthians 11:25-27);

• the practice of auto-flagellation by fervent devotees (c.f., Paul’s Epistle to the Colossians);

• the doctrine of atonement through suffering and sacrifice;

• the symbolic cannibalism of feasting on the flesh and blood of Jesus of Nazareth during the sacrament of the Eucharist …

In addition, the Church has been a partner in crime, right down the ages, in more ways than one : with official State authorities, with Mafia type organisations, in condoning the slave trade, money laundering, aiding and abetting the Nazis, as well as offering a safe haven and cover-up for all its own sexual predators and other profiteers.

Nothing new on the horizon really …

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Thursday, 30 May 2019 3:06:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo,

My own distant relative, the late Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty (The Scarlet Pimpernel of the Vatican) is credited with getting some 4,000 people out of the clutches of the Germans whilst he was an official in the Vatican during WWII.
He could not have done his great work without the support of Pius XII the then Pope, tacit though it necessarily was.

Hugh's character is best summed up by the fact that he was the amateur golfing champion of Rome at a time when priests were forbidden to play golf.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 31 May 2019 6:13:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Is Mise,

That’s interesting. I saw the film “The Scarlet and the Black” on one of the BBC channels a couple of times with Gregory Peck as your illustrious relative, “The Scarlet Pimpernel of the Vatican”. An excellent film.

I think it bears out what I read somewhere that the “Catholic machinery” was pro-Hitler but some individual members of the clergy did what they could to save the lives of Jews and allied soldiers. As you suggest, they seem to have been more dissidents than mainstream.

It’s also possible that the reigning pope during World War II, Pius XII, supported your illustrious relative’s resistance efforts. Perhaps we’ll learn some more about that when the historians have finished digesting the tons of secret Vatican archives Pope Francis has promised to allow them to have access to as from 2nd March 2020.

Apparently, 20 members of the Vatican's archives department have been “working on the secret files” for the past 13 years to “organise” (sic) them. I’m not sure what that means, but I hope it doesn’t mean they’ve been “cooking the books” as it were.

We’ll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, Pius XII’s canonisation as a saint is being held in abeyance until the historians confirm that he is clean so far as his reputation as Hitler’s pope is concerned.

Unfortunately, in view of the immensity of the task, I’m afraid the historians have a lifetime job ahead of them. I doubt that you and I will be around to see the results.

It might be a foregone conclusion anyway. It’s amazing how some things tend to disappear after three quarters of a century – a few missing pieces here and there.

I even have trouble finding my glasses these days.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Sunday, 2 June 2019 6:57:08 AM
Peter,

An interesting review of a book (that I knew of but did not read) spelling out explicitly what most contemporary educated Catholics have known for quite a while, namely the damage caused by a traditionally naive approach to human sexuality, and even more so, to celibacy when understood as abstinence from sexual contacts with females alone. This in addition to cover-ups, erroneously justified as institutional self-defence, thus betraying, often in a criminal way, its Christian and humane foundations.

So it is sadly understandable that the topic calls for sincere - although mostly irrelevant - personal confessions of anti-Catholic, anti-Christian, or even anti-religion positions.

Is Mise,

>>He could not have done his great work without the support of Pius XII the then Pope, tacit though it necessarily was.<<

Who was in a better position to judge Pius XII on this?

Israel Zolli (1881-1956) was from 1939 to 1945 Chief Rabbi of Rome. "Zolli is noted for his admiration of Pope Pius XII during World War II, who gave support and shelter to Zolli and other Jews during Nazi Germany's occupation of Italy from 1943 to 1944."(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Zolli). After the war, he converted to Roman Catholicism, taking the name Eugenio in honor of Pope Pius XII (Eugenio Pacelli).
Posted by George, Tuesday, 4 June 2019 7:42:32 AM
What a great summary of this big book! The author Frederic Martel is speaking in Sydney tomorrow night, 6.00pm Wednesday 5 June at the Pitt Street Uniting Church, 264 Pitt Street City, with Geraldine Doogue. His only Sydney appearance.

The great question for all of us, victims, Catholics, appalled observers, is how the hell could this have happened? Martel has a theory worthy of discussion.

Bookings via www.badsydney.com, or just turn up.

Michael Duffy
Posted by Mick Depot, Tuesday, 4 June 2019 6:54:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy