The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Coalition’s hands-off housing policy points to 2019 election defeat > Comments

Coalition’s hands-off housing policy points to 2019 election defeat : Comments

By Blake Pepper and Glen Anderson, published 19/10/2018

A combination of real wage growth, targeted land release, and reforms to negative gearing and capital gains concessions would deflate median prices.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Get rid of negative gearing by introducing Flat Tax, National Service, a more fair asset test & some general incentive for people to make them see a light at the end of the tunnel & almost instantly, the nation's housing & social crisis will breathe a sigh of relief.
Well, I am allowed to have a dream, don't I ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 19 October 2018 7:46:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oops, should be 'aren't I ?'
Posted by individual, Saturday, 20 October 2018 5:18:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That election defeat made even more likely if the people of Wentworth decide to send a message and place an independent, rather than a rubber stamp for either party, in parliament, with today's byelection.

And for one reason and one reason only, to bloody the nose of the wreckers and hard right who've imposed, a minority will, on a once great party. And ought to pay for it, with that "member" being referred to the high court, for a ruling on his eligibility?

And really put the cat among the pigeons. Leaving a lame duck coalition waiting for a no-confidence motion to force them to face the judgement of the people on energy policy, climate change, housing affordability, stagnating wages growth, the forever deferred decentralisation and last but not least, a once great party made hostage to the extreme right and religious bigots?

Time for the more moderate Liberals, to reclaim Mr Menzie's small L liberal party of social moderates!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 20 October 2018 10:32:13 AM
What a pile of garbage.

I have 3 kids, none of whom are high achievers or high income earners, being more interested in lifestyle than becoming rich.

The eldest got in before the latest property spiral, & has easily ridden it, upgrading twice.

The second spent 12 years in the navy. No point buying when every couple of years the navy ships you off to a different city. He has a couple of blocks of land in very high appreciation areas, which will damn near buy a nice home in Brisbane when sold.

The youngest, married 3&1/2 years ago, built a house on acreage 2&1/2 years ago. They are not finding it a bed of roses, but are planning a Fiji holiday next year.

None are particularly mean with their money, but don't waste it on frivolous expenditure either. While I agree it is probably a lot harder than when I bought my first house in the 60s, as my kids have proven, it can be done, & without living on bread & water. At the same time, it is easier than the late 40s early 50s, when my folks were recovering from his war service, & trying to build starting from virtually nothing.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 20 October 2018 12:41:34 PM
Hasbeen

When are you going to slip your bracer-strap down and over your right shoulder, spit out the hay-seed, grab your banjo and sing for your supper … just check the still on the way past, gramma said she heard some explosions in the shed last night, just as the ol tourney owl was geeing up to hoot to the moon.

I'll grant you hasbeen, the son of yours you brag of, receiving his tax free lurkers and perk in the navy, was not issued with a rainbow-coloured Pride lapel pin provided to army troops (as opposed to the navy sailor boys floating aimlessly around the world, ignoring the illegal Japanese whaling fleet at work), at taxpayer expense, as part of the official uniform in honour of Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.

And didn't you tell us all not long ago, your son lives in a shed on your block. I'm getting confused here.
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 20 October 2018 1:45:49 PM
Yes Dan, he has recently retired from the navy, & is Living here in my granny flat. He is working with an old friend near here, while he regains his land legs. He is also waiting for the third operation on a knee that was injured in the navy, & is not fixed after the first 2 operations.

He is having some trouble in deciding where he wants to settle. North Queensland has some attractions, as does being near Brisbane. The navy is still after him to go back, which complicates his decision. The navy is not a high payer, but is very demanding work when doing things like the Banda Ache rescue after the tsunami

This of course has no bearing on affording a home of your own, & was mentioned only to highlight a problem for those who have to move around a lot, due to their employment.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 20 October 2018 9:00:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy