The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'Reliable' renewables roulette > Comments

'Reliable' renewables roulette : Comments

By Geoff Carmody, published 26/7/2018

When trying to mix renewables with reliability, politicians face biased incentives. The consequences of not supplying enough capacity for a given reliability standard emerge after the event.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
SR look around you.
The unhinged are everywhere.
Don't forget to keep looking around when you are 'out on the town' because you just might get 'king hit' or 'coward hit' and end up in a coma.
As for being 'abused and assaulted'.
This is what we are subjected to every day by the govt.
Every time we are stopped from doing something for some obscure reason, we are being assaulted and abused.
You have no idea of my life and background.
I am living proof of what I contend.
And it goes back for decades.
Now to answer your reference to ISIS;
They advocate violence to support personal gain.
I advocate violence to support PUBLIC gain.
And before you try to find a come-back; yes, you and I are part of that public.
SR if you are so taken by these thieves, by all means you follow them and give them all your worldly goods.
I will not!
Just know that what I believe in is good for all of US and none of THEM.
It matters not my explanation but my intent.
Now let's get back to topic, there's a good chap.
Posted by ALTRAV, Thursday, 2 August 2018 7:38:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear ALTRAV,

You wrote;

“Every time we are stopped from doing something for some obscure reason, we are being assaulted and abused.”

No we're are not. Stop being an idiot. I'm not sure exactly what thought process allows you to think you are but they are likely egotistic and paranoid.

Now you have certainly shown a high degree of egotistical behaviour on this forum but the paranoia has not been as evident. ISIS may have some members striving for personal gain but the bulk of them are there for ideological reasons. Your ideology is cut from a similar cloth.

As you say it matters not what your explanation is but rather your intent. Well you have made it pretty clear that because of perceived slights and given the opportunity you would like to see certain Australians eliminated through violence, and you haven't been worried about expressing those views on a public forum.

Now I'm not sure what has happened to elicit these thoughts from you, an ugly divorce maybe or an adverse tax ruling etc and frankly it is none of my business but you certainly appear to be carrying a lot of unhealthy baggage and are directing it at those acting on climate change. The paranoia is treatable and the other issues you have would benefit from professional help. I strongly suggest you seek it.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 3 August 2018 8:26:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SR, still off topic?
OK, firstly, if you know anything about politics in this country, you will be familiar with the words assaulted and abused, and how they are oversubscribed at every opportunity.
Before you shoot your mouth off again research the multitudes of meanings the alt left have created in an attempt to win some of their sick agenda.
My disgust for this country and it's govt has nothing to do with anything domestic.
It has everything to do with the govt crapping on about 'world's best practices' and stopping any and all attempts at creating new products and ideas.
Yes my beef is with them because they are mental retards and cannot see beyond their own greed and averace.
The people are also complicit as they are too lax to get off their arse and give a crap about their own well being and security.
So SR, if you ever find you have a particular talent or ability and are stopped from doing what comes naturally and you find the rest of the world, beginning with NZ, welcomes you, where your own country rejects you, you may speak.
Until then; SHUT UP, and get back on topic!
Posted by ALTRAV, Friday, 3 August 2018 10:09:26 AM
Bazz,
It is the latter measure. There is a lot of disagreement about what the most appropriate measure is, as relying on any single measure gives perverse conclusions. But I'm pretty sure that by now it's well accepted that nameplate capacity is not an appropriate basis for these sorts of claims.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Luciferase,
Your criticism of the RET may be valid for the half hour market, but it's difficult to see how it could possibly be responsible for the wild fluctuations in the five minute spot price. These occur in all states in the NEM, including Queensland which doesn't even have any wind turbines.

LCOE is a rather crude measure that doesn't take into account real world requirements, and is usually calculated with an unnecessarily high discount rate.

When there is a shortage of dispatchable capacity, that needs to be addressed. But that does not directly correspond with installation of new wind and solar power, and there is a significant contribution from wind and solar on the days when demand is highest.

The file you linked to shows unsurprisingly that costs for nuclear power plants are lower in countries that have a lot of experience building them. Australia doesn't. What Australia does have is lots of good sites for renewables, especially solar. This should result in solar power being cheaper here than elsewhere.

There's a lot of hype about SMRs etc, and it's certainly a possibility that those could make nuclear power economically viable here. But with the cost of renewables continuing to fall, I think a more likely outcome is Australia being one of the few countries where nuclear power isn't economically viable.

As for lifespans, I've noticed you seem to make very pessimistic assumptions about wind and solar infrastructure while assuming new nuclear plants to last much longer than the old ones did.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 3 August 2018 12:16:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Aiden, I suspected that, buy surely the proponents will have a
hard time proving it, without stipulating the amount and cost of
backup solar or batteries or battery simulators of whatever type ?
Indeed as Geoff Carmody says the result is affected by what
reliability standard you are prepared to accept.
In a city with a lot of high rise a very high standard is imperative.
Indeed it could become a life and death matter for ambos.

Oh well I guess it will become obvious sooner or later.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 3 August 2018 3:52:15 PM
Dear ALTRAV,

I'm not sure how you think advocating the killing of fellow Australians because you imaging they were metaphorically 'abusing and assaulting' you is in any way on topic.

I have only commented because such unhinged nonsense should not go unchallenged.

If you can bring yourself to pull your head in I'm sure I can bring myself to leave you to it.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 3 August 2018 5:44:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy