The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > ACCC bells the cat on electricity > Comments

ACCC bells the cat on electricity : Comments

By Graham Young, published 16/7/2018

The ACCC Electricity supply and prices inquiry final report is a tacit acknowledgement that current strategies for CO2 abatement will not work at an affordable price.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Further to my last post, I went looking for the article I mentioned.
No luck, but I did find this 2014 article on working out the amount
of storage needed in a physically large continent wide grid.

http://tinyurl.com/yaoalz4s

Their calculations take into account seasonal sun intensity complete
with all the formulae for varying latitudes etc.
Very well thought out, but nowhere did I see any consideration of
what happens when sequential overcast days occur.
They took a lot of account of seasonal wind speeds etc.
They did not discuss how much additional generation would be needed
to recharge the storage system and when it would be used.
All in all it would be a good starter article for anyone wanting to
get into the subject.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 16 July 2018 7:05:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"This research shows it’s important to connect climate science with economic science. Too often, social scientists and economists with very little climate science understanding have tried to tell us that climate change is not a problem. Whenever you hear an economist or a social scientist give you a rosy future prediction, take it with a grain of salt. Their opinion is worthless without being backed by physical understanding. And the loudest economists and social scientists often have very little of this physical understanding."

The last paragraph of an article written by Professor John Abraham, he has a specialty in thermal sciences. Dr Abraham uses very conservative degrees of sea level rise to reach the cost levels he writes about.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2018/jul/12/rising-ocean-waters-from-global-warming-could-cost-trillions-of-dollars

It is very unfair to suggest Dr Finkel was inadequate with his Report; he had to provide a Report in a mad house political environment. On one side was the extreme Abbott clique, and on the other the Labor Party with a far better policy on climate.

Science tells us clearly what has happened in the past, present, and what can be expected in the future.

The issue is that climate science has neatly been subsumed by discussion about energy. South Australia keeps getting knocked in relation to blackouts, they happen also in Queensland, NSW
and Tasmania. ACCC Chairman Rod Sims also spoke about price gouging in relation to Corporations ... a major problem when service industries are privatised.

Nations generally are not meeting promises made at Paris, there is conflicting information in relation to India and China; where there is no conflict of data is with climate, eg rain bombs. Oceans warming, ice being lost, and permafrost thawing are being objectively displayed. Take a business as usual approach and ultimately we steal the future from young people. Nature does not lie.
Posted by ant, Tuesday, 17 July 2018 1:58:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Luciferase gave me some articles to read and so it was encouraging to
see that some people are seriously studying a nation wide grid.

After reading the articles I can suggest a way to model the whole
country and know whether their ideas are realistic.
The model would be a computer connected to AEMO's machine which would
track demand in the system, measure wind in areas of Australia via
the wx bureau or simple wx stations located in suitable areas.
So having real figures on wind & solar performance and wx condx then
the model could simulate the switching of current through the grid
and satisfy demand. They could move wind farms with the click of a
mouse to try different locations.
After collecting a year or two's data they could calculate how many
wind farms and solar farms would be needed and how much capacity the
grid would need and the cost.
Storage using ocean cliff tops for Turkey nest ponds hydro would be
reasonable and has been suggested for St Vincent's Gulf.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 20 July 2018 4:38:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy