The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is Western Civilisation worth studying? > Comments

Is Western Civilisation worth studying? : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 14/6/2018

Today's universities, wherever they are, and there are about 24,000 of them, have been heavily influenced in notions of scholarship and research, in what they teach and how they teach it, by Western examples.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Indy: The Conservatives fortunately, don't have that problem but manage to recruit some similar types from other circles.
Pauline Hanson doesn't have an academic background, she has a better one, at least she could make Fish & Chips, Turnbull & Shorten couldn't make you a cheese sandwich let alone run a chook raffle.

You certainly got that right.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 17 June 2018 3:56:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Anyone with half a brain realises that the numbers of people wanting to come to nations built upon Christian Judea ethic are massive."

So all those emigrants from South and Central American nations colonised, indoctrinated and built on the Christian Judea ethic, whatever that is, are leaving because?

This supposed ethic has been around for over 2,000 years. I say supposed because most of that 2,000 years, the nations that claimed to follow it could hardly claim they were different to the rest of humanity. They slaughtered each other, both internally and externally. They exterminated indigenous people. I know people can be slow to catch on, but really, taking over a thousand years to understand the likes of what it means to be equal, what peace to all men is, would suggest that this mystical ethic had very little to do with us attaining the human rights we currently have.
Posted by unravel, Sunday, 17 June 2018 7:52:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//I know you understand the gist in my rambling, you just can't afford to admit it.//

No, not really. Is English your second language? Because you don't seem to be that good at expressing your views in plain English which make sense to everybody.

At any rate, the only meanings I can obtain are from what you write. I don't believe in any of that psychic crap: nobody can read your mind, individual. It's up to you to express your ideas as coherently as possible, and then correct misunderstandings when they arise.

//There are engineers who build bridges & ships & planes & dams etc. Then there are engineers who can't to these things but they're still allowed to call themselves engineers.//

So... the only real engineers are civil, marine, and aeronautical engineers? See, again, this seems a very narrow and arbitrary definition. What about chemical engineers, who design vast industrial chemical manufacturing plants? What about electrical engineers, who design the massive high voltage substations our electrical grid relies upon? What about the mechanical engineers? What about the geotechnical engineers?

This is what I mean about barriers to communication: when most of us talk about engineers we mean, well, engineers. Whereas you're referring to a limited subset of engineers, with that subset being defined by parameters that we're not privy to because you've just pulled them out of your fundament.

//There are Doctors who find remedies to illness & there are Doctors who can't even diagnose a cold.//

Jesus, what kind of retard needs a doctor to tell them they have a cold? I know when I have a cold because I get a runny nose and a cough. I know that it's a viral infection and that the best medicine they can prescribe for it is a placebo because I'm not a moron. I know that it won't kill me because I have a robust immune system. And I know that if I go and sit in a doctors waiting room with a slightly compromised immune system there is a greater risk of me picking up whatever 'orrible plague...
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 17 June 2018 11:36:07 PM
...they might be carrying and very high chance of me passing on my cold.

In short: what kind of f%^king retard goes to the doctor's for a cold? No wonder Medicare costs are blowing out. F$#king hypochondriacs, why they can't they just catch some nasty disease and drop dead already?

//Just as there are the Academics I'm talking about. The ones who develop formulae of substance & then there are Academics who can't even get a simple survey right.//

Yes, but in the history of science there have been way, way more scientists who don't have any 'formulae of substance' for which they are well known, than are those that have. And who the hell determines what a 'formulae of substance' is anyway?

What about the scientists who didn't develop any 'formulae of substance', but still made important discoveries? What about those who nobly, tirelessly, dedicated their lives do discovering Sweet FA? No important breakthroughs, no paradigm-shifting theories... just a lot of plodding about doing dull, un-noteworthy experiments that slowly but surely chip away at the coalface of ignorance. Don't those guys count for something?

There are lot more scientists than there are Nobels or Lucasian Chairs up for grabs. We only ever really hear about the best of the best in mainstream media, but that doesn't mean that all the others are rubbish. They're just not as good as the best, in the same way that a man that runs last in a race against Usain Bolt is still much faster than you or I will ever be or have ever been.

//99% of those so-called "Academics" who join the ALP simply get there by telling the party how intelligent they are because they've been to Uni.//

And suddenly this has turned into a rant against the ALP. How dull. You remind me of South Park's parody of Whoopi Goldberg (substitute the word 'Labor' for 'Republicans'):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGl1CCprCeU

Shame you don't have any canned laughter to back you up. You could sound as clever as she does.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 17 June 2018 11:38:35 PM
Toni lavis,
Are you still a student ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 18 June 2018 9:16:21 AM
TL: the only real engineers are civil, marine, and aeronautical engineers? See, again, this seems a very narrow and arbitrary definition. What about chemical engineers. etc,.

I gather that they are the people that he was talking about. They are inclusive by definition.

The Academics he was talking about were the Navel Gazers & Arts Academics, etc,. Their opinions are just as good as mine, yet people are supposed to look upon them with awe because they have a degree in crap.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 18 June 2018 9:33:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy