The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why Australia's housing prognosis is grim > Comments

Why Australia's housing prognosis is grim : Comments

By Glen Anderson, published 21/2/2018

Could anything have been done previously to diminish the risk of a rout on house prices?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Yes, Aidan. I meant household debt.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 21 February 2018 9:50:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Yes the young have been largely priced out of the housing market!'

Where there's a will, there's a way....and I don't mean wishful thinking
Bleating is the excuse.
Posted by Special Delivery, Wednesday, 21 February 2018 10:49:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan B.,
What you regard as economic illiteracy on my part is actually a comprehension failure on your part. I don't mean a land sales tax; I mean a land value tax. Because people know they'll be paying the land tax, they wouldn't be willing to pay so much for houses, so house prices would fall.

And your "unavoidable" tax system would be very costly for business. They would find ways to avoid it, though, involving offshoring a lot of their activity.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

ttbn,
Considering most household debt is to cover the cost of the house, do you wish to revise your previous post?
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 22 February 2018 1:07:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Add to the household debt, the hidden debt of rent paid by lessees.

Not many (I would estimate), borrow money to pay rent, since rent is invariably paid from disposable income. However, that shifts the burden it is, onto borrowings to pay for other essentials through credit cards and personal loans.

Rent is a hidden debt to some degree, which should correctly be assigned to housing finance.
If this were done, we may achieve a more accurate “ realistic cost” of Australian housing overall.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 22 February 2018 6:14:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy