The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > George Brandis, the rule of law and populism > Comments

George Brandis, the rule of law and populism : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 15/2/2018

His own awkward positioning as defender of the law and doyen of propriety doesn't survive closer scrutiny.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Brandis was NOT a conservative, he was a liberal to the left of even Malcolm Turnbull. The only commentator to say much about his departure was Judith Sloan, who wished him 'good riddance'. The sideways push to High Commissioner in London - a position that no-one in Australia takes any notice of (even the flamboyant and human Alexander Downer was diminished by it) is the best place for one of the most useless, inhuman politicians ever to infest parliament.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 15 February 2018 8:30:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Goodbye "Gormless George".

Or should i simply say: F* off, next please!
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 15 February 2018 10:18:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
George was in my view one of the fairest, most reasonable man to ever don the cloak of public office. Even so, there were a number of issues, where I disagreed with his stance. Some of which were, I believe, held to follow the party line.

It says something about a man, when even his political enemies are sad to see him go? And in his time in office never troubled by scandals like that that affected fellow Senator Sam Dastyari or the Slipper.

I don't know why he's is going! Perhaps he'll be less personally compromised in the new position? Perhaps he's had enough of the BS that's domestic politics?

Anyhow bon voyage and good luck George.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 15 February 2018 11:48:39 AM
Personally I found Mr BRANDIS an arrogant sort of individual, who represented many of the bad features, for someone seeking a career in the Legal Profession. No doubt he was skilled and knowledgable in most legal issues, therefore he would've been far better suited to a academic career.

Lecturing in a University law faculty on matters of Constitutional Law or Jurisprudence or similar- Anything that requires hours of deep research and production of lengthy assignments in some dusty law library on campus. To do otherwise, he'd be perceived as being boring, for anybody who was obliged to listen to him. I don't mean to sound unkind; being the Forum's 'Dumb Bum' as it were?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 15 February 2018 12:22:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy