The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Electric cars: Major Tom to ground control? > Comments

Electric cars: Major Tom to ground control? : Comments

By Geoff Carmody, published 8/2/2018

One last question. If we shift from petrol mainly to coal to fuel our EVs now, do we increase greenhouse gas emissions or not?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Special delivery that is quite wrong. In the 50s to 80s most cars were well under a ton, & were perfectly roadworthy. In 1968 I won the Bathurst 100, driving down conrod straight at 180 miles per hour, in a car that 1130 pounds. If it had not been perfectly stable, I would not be here now. Weight has nothing to do with road holding.

However Brian of Buderim is equally wrong. The weight of the battery pack & electric transmission exceeds the weight of the average modern car engine, & transmission. Their weight, or lack of it has nothing to do with their viability. It is the extra cost of building them, & their battery pack that makes them not viable in today's world.

Technology may develop that makes them viable, but other technology will probably make them obsolete, & the same short lived blind alley they were in the 20s.

This of course depends on getting government the hell out of picking winners & rewarding the crony capitalists, by making their technology mandatory. Where is a Don Quixote when you have fool windmills that need destroying.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 9 February 2018 8:30:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Special Delivery isn't quite wrong.....
Where is a Don Quixote when you have fool windmills that need destroying.'....
because SD was talking about road stability in general traffic conditions and not in self praising one's ability to drive a car in one direction, in a straight line, without opposing forces impacting on my vehicle....but as usual you always have some fart wanting to big note himself on some past achievement by rearranging the argument to suit his limited point of view.
My perception is that when a person makes a statement based on self delusion nothing that person says can be given the benefit of doubt.
Gravity is a fact of life and whatever wishful technology one may desire that fact is not going to change reeel soon.
You may wish to consider changing your name from Hasbeen to Nevvawas
Posted by Special Delivery, Saturday, 10 February 2018 8:43:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The last resort of those with no knowledge & no answer is abuse.

How typically Green. Are you a member, or just a fellow traveller?
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 10 February 2018 12:28:07 PM
Before I even think about buying an electric car there are about a thousand things that need fixing.
I will not be the source of funding for someones pipe-dream.
If you 'know' you have a good idea then find the funds or investors and go ahead. I want to see the end product as true value for money and not some marketing scam.
When Henry Ford started production of the Model 'T' motor car he came up with the 'best' price for the car. It sold well.
Not long after he actually 'dropped' the price of the car and set up a scheme whereby his workers could afford to buy one as well.
So before I even think about buying an electric car, I want to see, A; I can travel the same distances I do now with petrol/diesel cars. B; I can 'refuel' at around the same time I do now. And C; Most importantly I don't pay any more than I do now for a family car like a Falcon or a Commodore.
One final point, I don't want to be paying a fortune to replace the batteries after seven or eight years. I was recently offered a 2010 Toyota Hybrid, for NOTHING. The car was like new. Because the batteries were several thousand dollars, no one wanted it. (for nothing) It ended up at the crushers. That's disgusting. I would give someone a good hiding if they dare suggest that that is the way of the future, to recycle. That's not recycling that's wasteful and irresponsible. I can't stand seeing something like new just get tossed in the scrap. If that's where we're headed, she'll be right I'll stick to my current cars. They'll probably outlive me anyway.
Posted by ALTRAV, Saturday, 10 February 2018 5:54:45 PM
Poor Hasbeen....trying to label, in order to justify a point of view or to render irrelevance.
Pathetic....you missed a good opportunity to say nothing, but given your obvious irrelevance in the scheme of things you thought it was worth one more shot lest be viewed a pseudo magnifico.
Congratulations, as is often said ' argue with a fool and you will always lose'....guess that means you win.
Posted by Special Delivery, Saturday, 10 February 2018 6:45:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy