The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why I joined Australian Conservatives > Comments

Why I joined Australian Conservatives : Comments

By Lyle Shelton, published 8/2/2018

Menzies knew the importance of the centrality of faith for civil society to flourish.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"I'm not calling the author a hater because believes that, I'm calling him a hater because he wishes to impose that view on others who don't share his view."

JBSH ignores the fact that he and his 'haters' have actually had their views 'imposed' on people who are against SSM - LEGALLY.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 8 February 2018 10:52:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wish I had your way with words.
I might try and write some fiction with no base in fact like your essay )which i did not attempt to read all the way through). I would prefer to read some Harry Potter or May Gibbs or the bible if I wanted good fiction.
Posted by TheAtheist, Thursday, 8 February 2018 11:04:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lyle and his fellow travellers have had SSM imposed on them in the same way that I've had ice hockey imposed on me.

I'm free to disregard ice hockey and it's enthusiasts, and no one can compel me to participate in it, like it, or approve of it.

Similarly, Lyle and his mates are at liberty to avoid, ignore, criticize and boycott SSM. He just can't stop other doing it, or object when people criticize him for his views.
Posted by JBSH, Thursday, 8 February 2018 11:04:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hear, hear and well said, JBSH!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 8 February 2018 2:53:16 PM
The United States Constitution does not contain the word, God. That is because those who wrote the Constitution were aware that in a democracy the religious beliefs of its citizens are none of the government's business. Thomas Jefferson who was quoted by the author expressed many views on religion. In my opinion a very good one was:

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Jefferson did not prefer Christianity over other forms of superstition.

Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination.

-Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, in reference to the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom

Lyle, I wish you knew what Jefferson was talking about.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 8 February 2018 4:04:53 PM
Bang on david f.

I think if Lyle is looking to the founding fathers of the American constitution for support in his dogged pursuit of a state with more overt Christian primacy, he'll get a little bit uncomfortable with some of the beliefs he'll do doubt find among those distinguished gentlemen. To wit, Tom Paine, and Thomas Jefferson

“It is from the Bible that man has learned cruelty, rapine, and murder; for the belief of a cruel God makes a cruel man.”
― Thomas Paine

“One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.”
― Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’ thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."
- Thomas Jefferson
Posted by JBSH, Thursday, 8 February 2018 4:24:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy