The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia Day: when should we celebrate? > Comments

Australia Day: when should we celebrate? : Comments

By Russell Grenning, published 19/1/2018

Various suggestions have been made for a new date from some significant event in the World War 11 Pacific campaign or the date (27 May) of the overwhelmingly successful 1967 referendum.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. All
Why don't all you Greens and other UnAustralian and anti-Australians leave this country, instead of trying to trash it's culture and what made it the great country it is?
Posted by Peter Lang, Friday, 19 January 2018 9:56:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Seems Peter Lang wants to have a country intolerant of informed history and discussion. By the way, what exactly is Australian 'culture'?
Posted by minotaur, Friday, 19 January 2018 10:03:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Think he means "kulchar".
Posted by ateday, Friday, 19 January 2018 10:14:37 AM
Yeah, its a difficult question. The obvious solution is to have two official Australia Day's. So, have one day that celebrates the european settlement of australia on the 26th, and another day to celebrate aboriginal culture, as well.
Posted by progressive pat, Friday, 19 January 2018 10:29:55 AM
Get over it! Grow up!
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 19 January 2018 10:43:31 AM
Progressive Pat, seeing as we already have 22 days in the year celebrating aboriginal culture I hardly think we need another one. Have forgotten the list but the days include.NAIDOC week, Sorry Day, Reconciliation Day , etc.
Add to this the fact that many many aboriginal people are quite happy with the day as it is.
And seeing as the date we now have is the anniversary of Australian citizenship, it would be difficult to justify changing the date for citizenship ceremonies.
Posted by Big Nana, Friday, 19 January 2018 10:56:48 AM
The suggestion to have two 'Australia Days' is absurd. It would simply perpetuate division and further 'othering' of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

And it was an invasion of Aboriginal lands that Jan 26 stands for to many. As long as it remains a (false) national day and so does that symbolism of invasion, massacres, rapes, child theft, land theft, subjugation, cultural genocide and much more.

There are two very relevant and non-controversial dates to change AD to. Jan 1st that represents the formation of a nation or Mar 3rd when Australia became independent of Britain.
Posted by minotaur, Friday, 19 January 2018 10:58:11 AM
The pages of history, once accurately recorded, can never ever be erased. Australia day, [first fleet anchoring in Botany Bay day], has been commemorated by we Australians for over a century! Without causing offense to anyone! Only to be politized by urban activists, with more white blood streaming through their veins than black.

Albeit, all blood is the same color, and the two races only separated by 6 degrees of genetic difference. Some folk (me neither) weren't consulted over the date that celebrates our unity as a diverse nation and hence the problem!

Some folk don't want to be united with those white fellas? Don't want em, their laws and justice? Then don't take anymore of their charity.

I could live with Australia day being renamed, recognition, reconciliation and reunification day. Welcome to country day, replete with a broken spear ceremony and a traditional smoking ceremony.

Many of us have Ancestors on that fleet, or the ones that followed and some indigenous heritage.

As for an official Australia day? It could just as easily be Eddie Mabo's B'Day? If only to get these divisive activists to stop agitating over events concluded, long, long ago!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 19 January 2018 11:14:02 AM
What will I do on Australia Day.

I'll probably go down the paddock & fly one or 2 of my 1200mm remote controlled foam replicas of WW11 fighter planes. I will probably give fleeting thanks that our fighters were better than theirs, & we won.

I will probably then sit in my air conditioned lounge, wondering how we can defeat these ratbags who want to destroy all our folks fought for, & died for.

I may imagine a competition for next Australia day, to drive as many of these ratbags out of town, & out of the country as possible. No country needs a fifth column like these swine in it's midst.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 19 January 2018 11:27:24 AM
What arrogance on the part of Senator Di Natale! As he comes come from that small, mendicant state/island of Tasmania, what business of his is it to dictate to the rest of Australia? In any case, as he heads a political party that is renown for its scientific and economics illiteracy, we should not be holding our breath for a rational decision from him about a new date for Australia Day
Posted by Raycom, Friday, 19 January 2018 12:19:32 PM
A great piece of PR gave R. Luigi Di Natale's push for change. Results of a survey were well chosen in favour of change. (Yes, he's an Aussie!)
It was, however, far from an independent survey. It was carried out under the auspices of the Australia Institute, which was founded by Clive Hamilton, a Greens supporter. The person in charge of the survey is Ben Oquist: former advisor to sometime Greens leaders and Senators Bob Brown and Christine Milne.

There is much to criticise about the questions put to respondents in the survey but I think my point about the lack of independence.
Posted by Robert99, Friday, 19 January 2018 12:27:52 PM
You cannot change the date when the first British colonisers landed!
Posted by Ponder, Friday, 19 January 2018 12:31:45 PM
Alan B. if you're going to make comment on history then at least get some facts right. Jan 26th is not the day the First Fleet lay anchor in Botany Bay...that happened a full week before (something Ponder should think about too).

Australia Day didn't become a fully unified national day until 1994. The term itself wasn't widely used until the 1930s. And in 1938 there was a protest organised and held in Sydney to coincide with the sesquicentenary of the founding of New South Wales. The protest is also considered to be the first civil rights protest to be held in Australia.

In 1988 one of the biggest protest marches ever held in Australia was done in Sydney to protest Australia Day. Over 40 000 people attended. So much for your claim that Australia Day has been commemorated for over a 100 years without causing offence to anyone.

And Raycom, Senator Di Natale does not come from Tasmania. Seems facts are not really important in OLO.
Posted by minotaur, Friday, 19 January 2018 12:46:52 PM
No matter what is done our aboriginal brothers and sisters will complain, moan and whine! So why bother changing Australia Day?
Just today it was reported that the poor hygene experienced by aboriginal children can lead to a deadly heart disease, Well you cannot blame a child for being dirty but you can blame it's parents. So next time they complain let's remind them of their responsibilities that go along with their rights!
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 19 January 2018 12:56:12 PM
To whom it may Concern,
Jan 1 is a better day as its when the States federated & became the Commonwealth of Australia,we of course never bothered to ask the Aborigines as they were under Flora & Fauna & as far as White Australia was concerned did not exist though the whites still managed to massacre them in various places all over Australia.
The only thing Australia day meant to me was a day off from school or when I was working work nothing more nothing less,it meant nothing to most of my friends ect.
Born in WA why should I have to celebrate the foundation of a corrupt NSW & Sydney it is of no interest to me,"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"which Howard most certainly was,war criminal ect.
Posted by John Ryan, Friday, 19 January 2018 1:10:54 PM
JBowyer, if you'd bothered to have done any research you'd not make sweeping generalisations about people and look like an absolute goose.

The rheumatic heart disease rates in Aboriginal people are primarily in those who live in remote communities. Those communities often have poor infrastructure and housing completely unsuited to the conditions. Getting treatment for even small health issues can be problematic. Can't just pop down to the local chemist!

Don't let any facts get in the way of your ignorant denigration though.

John Ryan, it is a myth that Aboriginal people were classified under Flora and Fauna. There was never any such thing and responsibility for Aboriginal people belonged to the states, most of whom had 'Protection Acts' that were in essence 'control acts'.

After the 1967 referendum responsibility for Aboriginal people was transferred to the Federal Government.

Is today a 'fact free' day on OLO?
Posted by minotaur, Friday, 19 January 2018 1:18:32 PM
Hi John,

There has never been a 'Flora and Fauna Act' in any Australian parliament, State or Federal.

Why do people believe this half-witted rumour ? Because someone found out that a Minister in WA was once Minister for both Fisheries and Native Affairs. Can you name single Minister in any State Government who DOESN'T have responsibilities for more than one distinct and separate Department ?

Even Linda Burney, who should know better than to peddle these lies, was once head of a NSW government department, answerable to a Minister,vwho was responsible or other departments well. Currently, the Chief Minister of the NT is also Minister for Police, Tourism, Northern Australia, Emergency Services AND Aboriginal Affairs. What would you like to make of that ?

My bet is that, currently, there is not a single State government minister responsible for Indigenous Affairs who is NOT responsible also for other areas of government responsibility. It's always been like that. In SA, the current Minister for Aboriginal Affairs (himself Indigenous) is responsible for a number of other quite distinct areas of responsibility. In earlier days in SA, the Commissioner of Immigration and Crown Lands had responsibility for the one-man 'Aborigines Department', with no confusion over departmental boundaries.

Why on earth do people believe the most childish rubbish ? Is it that someone has only just discovered that Ministers, being smaller in number than their distinct areas or responsibilities, quite logically have multiple state responsibilities ?

And no, John, there is no Easter Bunny either. sorry :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 19 January 2018 1:25:28 PM
The aboriginals were badly treated by the white man. Changing the date of Australia Day changes nothing. Whatever date used will be the new focus for protest.
Posted by HereNow, Friday, 19 January 2018 2:44:00 PM
Australia Day option.

The Eddie Mabo Case was decided by the Australian High Court on 3rd June 1992 by 6 : 1 of the seven judges. A strong and convincing decision. The Terra Nullius concept was accepted as an error on that day. It would be a most appropriate date for Australia Day in the future.

KlaasVaak
Posted by klaasvaak, Friday, 19 January 2018 3:44:26 PM
Klaasvaark,

It would be interesting to find out when the first use of the term "Terra Nullius" occurred in relation to Indigenous land use and land rights. I suspect it was in 1971, in Justice Blackburn's decision, concerning the Gove case.

I've never seen it in thousands of pages of official documents, quite the reverse. It went against the legal position that Aboriginal people had the rights, going back perhaps to 1788 and certainly to the 1840s, to use the lands as they always had done. In that sense, Terra Nullius was never part of any Australian system of law. Blackburn got it wrong, to the joy of BAB activists looking for a bone to chew.

Somebody might know better, but anybody interested could look up an article on Google Scholar written in 1996 by Henry Reynolds and Jamie Dalziel, where they explore the very opposite of 'Terra Nullius', the recognition of traditional land-use, and its incorporation into colonial law around 1850.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 19 January 2018 4:12:40 PM
Despite the whinging and whining by the usual collection of ratbags on this forum I think Australians are known for their sense of fairness. This amply illustrated with the referendum on SSM. Most didn't have a dog in the fight but they recognised just how unfair it was that loving couples were denied the right to marry and acted at the ballot box to correct those laws.

A sense of fairness wasn't the only Australian trait on display, there was also our laid-back attitude, something I have really come to appreciate in these times of polarised positions and identity politics.

I feel most of us will come to realise we don't really have that much attachment to a specific date, we are more concerned about the holiday and perhaps celebrating a sense of togetherness plus an acknowledgement of how lucky we are to be able live in this country. As well a majority will acknowledge that the current date does represent the beginning of the cataclysm that befell many of the Aboriginal nations through colonialism. I doesn't sit comfortably with me and I suspect many others that some of our first peoples find this date impossible to celebrate in the same way as the majority of us.

If it was answered honestly most wouldn't be that fussed in changing the date and if it helps a section of our community more fully join in the celebration of this nation then we would be fine with it.

Relaxed and fair, pretty bloody Australian in my book.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 19 January 2018 5:00:40 PM
And another useful article written in 2008 by Robert van Krieken:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Krieken/publication/249692456_Law%27s_Autonomy_in_Action_Anthropology_and_History_in_Court/links/54a5ef430cf267bdb9082b4e.pdf

A lot of it is pretty heavy but pages 5-8 have an account of the Milirrpum (Yirrkala, Gove) case and Justice Blackburn's reliance on Aboriginal oral evidence rather than anthropological evidence. Van Krieken doesn't cite anywhere Blackburn's use of the term "Terra Nullius", but mentions its use later. Perhaps, somewhere in legal texts, the term is used ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 19 January 2018 5:31:41 PM
This is a no brainer....So it is unAustralian to want harmony in the country amongst all people?

The British whilst still claiming to be a Christian nation...broke at least 3 of the 10 commandments and many of Jesus' teachings when they invaded Australia.

1. Thou shalt not covet...They coveted!

2. Thou shalt not steal!...They stole!

3. Thou shalt not murder..They sure murdered.

4. Do unto others...Another fail!

Yes this is the same British who persuaded the traitor Bob Menzies to allow the Brits to drop atomic bombs on our country.

Yes! This is the same British who didn't want our soldiers to come home to fight the Japanese when we were at risk of being overrun.

Yes! This is the same British who stole thousands of kids from their parents and sent them to be raped and abused in our missionaries and religious institutions. http://www.news.com.au/national/former-child-migrants-sent-to-australia-to-testify-at-uk-inquiry-into-sexual-abuse/news-story/7caff6e1077ec3af35a95ac178261520

The 26th January is rubbing salt into the wounds of Aboriginal Australians, who we all know were totally disenfranchised in the invasion and simply should be changed.

What a fantastic gesture of thinking caring Aussies it would be to the aborigines amongst us that we care enough to get rid of this ridiculous day.

People may not realise it but when the horrid invader Captain Cook first set foot at Botany bay he either shot or ordered an aboriginal to be shot.

It all went down hill down from there.

Once again the dumbies and bigots will be on the wrong side of history when we change this ridiculous date.

The aim of a more inclusive, caring and respectful society isn't unpatriotic...

But being too dense to realise you are preventing, it like the pro 26th people do is... Hang your heads in shame!

I certainly won't celebrate it...But I will be thinking of our continual crushing of a most important part of our society, the aborigine, during it.

Australia Day is a disgrace
Posted by Opinionated2, Friday, 19 January 2018 5:38:02 PM
Minotaur, spare me your insults. Your ignorant and rude comments mean only to me that you are a mean, rude bigot! I of course knew it was in remote communities, so what. Do you take your kids to the chemist to give them a wash? Parental responsibilities should be emphasised when the usual suspects start their racist denigration.

Opinionated2 your hatred of the British just makes you a bigot. The average subject of the crown was far more put upon than most other races. My forebears were just agricultural labourers who were pulling turnips rather than oppressing other races but there you are bigot, having a go at everyone.
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 19 January 2018 6:26:31 PM
JBowyer... I don't hate the British...Try not to make rubbish up won't you...lol

I just tell the truth! I don't care what your forebears were...You like me still live on stolen lands...The Brits did terrible things to natives everywhere they went...

You are probably C of E also - a Church created so that imbecile King Henry could divorce and organise the murder of two of his 6 wives...lmao

YES! A proud tradition! Isn't the Queen the Head of that Church?

The truth hurts doesn't it...but it isn't bigotry, it's just the facts. Try to learn the difference sometime...lmao

You can live in fairytale land if you like but the truth is out there for all to know and see.

More on what the Brits did to their own... http://otoweb.cloudapp.net/films.html

Or to Islanders in the 60's and early 70's... http://johnpilger.com/videos/stealing-a-nation

It's great your parents brought you out for an education but you were supposed to learn stuff - not ignore it......LMAO

Now back to school you go...This time please listen...lol

The fact that you don't know the difference between the British Government and the British people make you amazingly naive.

So does this mean you are glad the British used us as their nuclear test site? You probably have one of their little glowing embers in you as we type...Do you glow in the dark?...lol

So do you agree with Aussie soldiers not coming home to defend us? So much for your loyalties to Australia.

Your ignorance is astounding! Did I hurt your feelings with the truth?...lol

I bet you didn't know that the aborigine has now been discovered to be one of the first to have inhabited the Americas. We should treasure them!

Here let You Tube educate you... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6IrMjfbh6E

We should be honoring and respecting the aborigines...Not crushing their spirits one more time and every year!
Posted by Opinionated2, Friday, 19 January 2018 7:25:33 PM
Opinionated, please save your bile and ignorance! I hold people like you in contempt and could not care a less what you think or say. I am just trying to assist you in thinking with logic not hate.
Racist bigots like you think it is OK to be like this if only you pick your targets. However we also bite back, bigot!
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 19 January 2018 8:04:48 PM
There you go again Bowerbird...Ignoring the facts and name calling to hide your ignorance.

Likewise I don't care what an imbecile like you thinks but I will use my posts to at least tell the truth... Maybe you should try the truth for a change...lol

They stole the land from aborigines...It is that simple...

They killed many, many aborigines...It is that simple!

They pretended to be Christian to justify their self proclaimed goodness whilst breaking many Christian values.

The Brits ruled the seas and plundered every country they visited. They were a ruthless conquering pack of thieves.

If you take something that isn't yours - Is that theft? OOPS! Yes it is!

All the religious buildings aren't on consecrated ground...they are on stolen land that can't be consecrated!

People who want Australia Day to stay the 26th January aren't patriots...They are blind fools, too scared to crawl out from under the British yolk and too weak minded and bigoted to support the aborigines.

Look in the mirror buddy...Shamefully weak isn't it?...lmao

Some facts you should know...The First Fleet didn't land on the 26th...It was between the 18th and 20th. They travelled to Sydney Cove arriving on the 26th.

Sir Henry Parkes said when asked what shall we do to celebrate for the aborigines and he reportedly replied..."And remind them that we have robbed them?" He at least in his dishonourable reply knew the truth.

The 26th January wasn't celebrated by all States until 1994...so we got by without it! It is the pro 26ers that are wrong again.

In 1938 Aborigines didn't want to partake in the reenactment so were kept locked up at the stables at Redfern Police Barracks until the re-enactment took place. They then ran away up the beach.

So let's not pretend that this day is worth celebrating...That would be to ignore the facts!

Back to school for you...lol We'll try you in Prep but I think it will be a bit tough for you.
Posted by Opinionated2, Friday, 19 January 2018 9:48:37 PM
Opiniated idiot. The expression is under the Yoke (A harness for oxen) not yolk ( red part of an egg) lol, not quite as smart as you think you are racist idiot!
Spew your racist bile elsewhere, thanks.
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 19 January 2018 10:56:34 PM
Who cares about the date upsetting a few minority clowns.

Today's indigenous should be grateful the nation was colonised by the British, had it been the French there we be none to gripe today.

If indigenous people don't like the celebration, don't come to the celebrations, pretty bloody simple.
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Saturday, 20 January 2018 1:02:17 AM
Bowyerbird... It was a joke about the Yolk...lmao So you are short of brains on the humour side also?

Should I explain the joke to you?

Maybe you will get into prep afterall...lmao Nah! Not possible...lol

You simply have no answers when the facts are presented to you and the pathetic know nothing that you are shows out...

So the truth is bile now? Gee we sure didn't get much value when you guys came out probably as 10 pound Poms...lol

So are you speaking here as an Aussie or a Brit with dual citizenship with misguided loyalties?

I understand that you can only name call when presented with facts...You obviously aren't the sharpest tool in the shed or am I yoking...lmao

And good old rocket man Geoff of Perth chimes in with the lesser of two evils comment. Gee Geoff you sure have low standards...lol

All the colonising nations were bad BUT where did the French wipe out the entire native populations GoP?

It's time to change the date just to annoy...Bowyerbird and GoP...lmao

Time to make Oz a better, more caring place by simply choosing a better day to accommodate our aboriginal brothers.

You know to Advance Australia fairly!
Posted by Opinionated2, Saturday, 20 January 2018 2:12:25 AM
minotaur, the fact that Sen. di Natale comes from Victoria does not make him any wiser.
Posted by Raycom, Saturday, 20 January 2018 10:56:38 AM
I'm Sorry, but in spite of his obvious bile, opinionated has some undeniable points that need to be readdressed by those responsible!

We need to invent a time machine so we who weren't there for any of it, but nonetheless, held responsible by the very affable opinionated, so we can change the pages of history and therefore thoroughly redress opinionated's concerns. LOL

That said, I wouldn't mind if we relabeled Australia day as invasion day, replete with a reenactment of the invasion,i.e., by men bound down in iron chains staggering ashore.

Guards with bloodied cat-o-nine-tails whipping the stranglers along. Come along now this is an invasion, not a flaming sunday picnic! Get the flaming lead out. You there, with the whiskers, pick that man up, he's holding up the entire invasion!

A few heavily bearded, emaciated, old age pensioners, wouldn't look entirely out of place as the stand in (volunteer) transportees, all singing, we are you are Austrian (oztraliorn) and from all the lands on earth we come and sing with one voice? Accompanied by the rhythmic clanking of ankle chains.

With a couple of Tribal Elders watching on and providing commentary. Like, "seems we've got company, throw another couple of bags of bugs, prawns and mud crabs on the barbie, there's a fair few of them. Any paw paw left? Good, that'll do for desert along with the leftover mangoes"
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 20 January 2018 11:23:43 AM
JBowyer, you stated; 'So next time they complain let's remind them of their responsibilities that go along with their rights!' The use of the catchall term 'they' clearly infers all Aboriginal people. You made no mention of remote communities.

You also ignored my comment that mentioned the lack of infrastructure and poor housing in remote communities. Many of those communities have very poor living conditions and that is a contributing factor to a lack of hygienic conditions. To simply lay the blame on poor parenting is to ignore that plethora of factors involved. That is ignorance. If the cap fits JBowyer.
Posted by minotaur, Saturday, 20 January 2018 2:10:41 PM
Minotaur,

I wish you could win a research scholarship to examine housing, health, education and other social aspects of life in Bangla Desh and India: you would find dire poverty (vastly worse than anything Aboriginal people here 'suffer') and yet houses and yards are clean and tidy. Children go to school with spotless clothes, after a small - same-old, same-old - breakfast, or none at all.

In societies like those, parents care for their children, as well as work like buggery for very little, to give them the best they can, since these are societies which put children first, not last.

Any FAS in Bangla Desh or India ? Probably not. A huge number of neglected kids ? Probably not. Huge numbers of kids in detention for pissy, stupid and vicious crimes ? Probably not. Some kids finishing school and going on to university ? Probably. In spite of all of the above.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 20 January 2018 2:19:52 PM
Joe, the first recorded use of the term 'terra nullius' I can find was in 1835 when a Proclamation by Governor Bourke used the term. Here is a useful link:

http://www.migrationheritage.nsw.gov.au/exhibition/objectsthroughtime/bourketerra/index.html

As the term was used by Bourke then Justice Blackburn was not incorrect in addressing it in his judgement on milirrpum vs Nabalco Pty Ltd. Indeed he would have been remiss to have not made mention of it.

Justice Blackburn's judgement is often overlooked in the history of land rights and subsequent Native Title after Mabo (2). He may have awarded the verdict in favour of Nabalco Pty Ltd but he did recognise that Aboriginal people had laws based on connection to the land. That,in part, allowed the Mabo (2) case to eventually succeed. Blackburn was very well versed in 'Indigenous laws' of other nations and court verdicts recognising them. He made a right goose of the Commonwealth Government's solicitor in court about it too.

Cheers
Posted by minotaur, Saturday, 20 January 2018 2:24:47 PM
Oh dear Joe, just when I was feeling benevolent toward you and provided you with some useful information, you come out with that rubbish. India and Bangladesh...really? Why choose just those two?

And I could go to both countries and find the exact opposite to what you mentioned. Children begging in the streets who don't go to school and are filthy urchins. Other children used by parents to search through rubbish dumps trying to find something to sell.

I could also go to any city/town in Australia and find dirty children not going to school and living on the streets. I could also find houses with children that are unhygienic with unkempt yards full of junk. And they aren't inhabited by Aboriginal people but your run of the mill (mostly) uneducated 'white' Australians.

Alternatively, I could also go to remote communities in Australia where many children are well cared for and going to school, getting a good education and have great ambitions/hopes for their futures. And they live in houses that are well cared for and have parents with jobs.

Nothing is absolute Joe. There is good and bad, clean and dirty, educated and uneducated, just about everywhere you go.
Posted by minotaur, Saturday, 20 January 2018 2:46:10 PM
Raycom, that is true...although 'wisdom' does depend upon your definition of it. At least you are now a little wiser recognising Senator Di Natale is not a Tasmanian Senator.
Posted by minotaur, Saturday, 20 January 2018 2:48:11 PM
Hi Minotaur,

Did Bourke use that term or is it a repeated interpretation put on his words by the National Archives of the UK ? A word-for-word transcript wouldn't be that hard, I've done thousands of pages of that.

But I liked this: " .... the Aboriginal occupants had rights in the lands (and this was confirmed in a House of Commons report on Aboriginal relations in 1837)". And written into law in (I suspect) all Australian colonies by 1850, AND is still in pastoral leases.

And you're saying that, in his judgment, Blackburn J. went against any talk of 'Terra Nullius' and at least partially recognised Aboriginal people's rights to land ? Did he actually use the term himself ? If not, then who did, in all of our 230 years of history ?

Still looking :)

And I agree that " .... I could also go to remote communities in Australia where many children are well cared for and going to school, getting a good education and have great ambitions/hopes for their futures..... ' when you add " .... And they live in houses that are well cared for and have parents with jobs."

Yes, indeed. But slightly diverting from the main concerns: clearly mine are that there is a strong correlation between unemployment, neglect, squalor and poor education; AND between good health, hygiene, cleanliness, good education for the kids AND work. But I think you knew that. :)

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 20 January 2018 3:32:14 PM
How about we celebrate when the Federation came into being? While the settlement of Sydney Cove is a pivotal moment in our history, several of the others settlements did not exist, and were formed separately by different first fleets. It was not until the Federation we became one nation. Before this, we were a collection of colonies, each with their own identity, and history all celebrated locally.
Posted by Jon R, Sunday, 21 January 2018 8:56:37 AM
Oh look Alan B describes fact as bile and wants to invent a time machine to solve the problems.

That isn't a really strong basis to argue your case Alan...lmao

You don't need a time machine... You are already 40 years behind in your thinking so we can refer to you as to where we went wrong...If only you knew the difference between right and wrong...lmao

So I guess like all people whose best days have past we should ignore you because some of us have moved on from the dark ages...lmao

Change the Date of Australia Day and ignore the troglodytes...

It's the only perfect solution!
Posted by Opinionated2, Wednesday, 24 January 2018 1:44:51 PM
Self-Op2,

On another current thread, you remark that " .... you people expect the aborigines to get to our level in 230 years when you couldn't do it given the same circumstances."

Then you slag Alan B with this: "You are already 40 years behind in your thinking...."

Ummmm ........ your first remark could easily be construed as being a hundred years behind the times, certainly the sort of thing one might have heard fifty or sixty years ago, and from pretty ignorant people, on both the Left and Right.

Currently, there are around 54,000 Indigenous university graduates, overwhelmingly in mainstream degree-level courses, with another 3,500-4,000 graduating each year. That might come as a surprise to pretty ignorant people, on both the Left and Right.

Would you like to clarify your assertions ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 24 January 2018 2:05:51 PM
My assertions don't need clarification to anyone but you...Loudmouth.

I am just responding to the imbecilic and backward comments people make to me.

You love putting forward these things and I hope more aborigines get useful education but much of the Education system these days is more about keeping people off the unemployment numbers and pretending that all these graduates will get jobs in the fields they are studying.

That like the treatment of aborigines is also a national disgrace.

You can't claim to be patriotic or a thinking Australian when you fight lost causes to the very end and then get beaten by smarter Aussies.

Look at the fight...Whether or not there are benefits to all of us by changing the date from the 26th January. WOW! such a minute thing that helps heal many, many wounds and yet the troglodytes amongst us can't see that!

The simplest way to advance Australia is to be fair... The simplest way to heal the wounds that we whites have ignored is to honour the aborigines wishes and change the date.

Geez! If you backward thinkers can't be flexible in your thinking and your attitudes to do this simple minor thing then Australia is still pathetically backward due to those who can't change.

Are you against daylight saving in Qld because the extra hour of sun each day fades the curtains and the cows won't know when to come in for milking...lmao

It's time to let the smarter people make the decisions...You guys are blind to how you are holding us back!

You people are simply against positive change and that is your big position...lol

Change the date!
Posted by Opinionated2, Wednesday, 24 January 2018 11:04:33 PM
Opiniated 2 LMAO. Think you are so smart and everyone else so dumb? LMAO. All your virtual signalling and bile, LMAO.
It is very irritating when idiots like you keep using these stupid and juvenile acronyms. How much arse have you got now as you have been laughing it off for about a week now.
OK just so you know the vast majority of us Australians are happy with Australia day. You and your little mates (If you have any) are still perfectly free to frolic and whine about us celebrating our National day.
Forget giving your fellow Australians orders matey we are not listening also please do not try it face to face or you will be landing on your "A" not laughing it off.
You have had a big day now off to bed with you!
Posted by JBowyer, Wednesday, 24 January 2018 11:50:33 PM
ABC News reports, April 25, 2018 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-25/captain-cook-statue-vandalised-in-melbourne/9360974

"A statue of Captain Cook in St Kilda has been vandalised, in what is believed to be a protest against Australia Day being celebrated on January 26."

COMMENT

It was likely the odd balaclava lefties of Melbourne who done the dirty (agin).
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 25 January 2018 12:39:16 PM
Hi Plantagenet,

That's the Captain Cook who was killed nine years or so before the First Fleet landed ? I wasn't aware that he had invaded St Kilda. Up on the Daly River in the NT, yes, and he and his troops was driven off by Ned Kelly in his defence of the local people.

It's important that we know our history properly.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 25 January 2018 12:57:24 PM
//That's the Captain Cook who was killed nine years or so before the First Fleet landed ?//

No, he's the one who was first to discover Australia except for all the people who beat him to it. That's why he gets a statue and the people who discovered it after him don't. They're probably just jealous.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 25 January 2018 1:24:05 PM
Given the Anarcho-Lefties of Melbourne say "F--- Australia, hope it burns to the ground". Should Australia Day it be shifted to the 1st January alternative?:

That is January 1 - "Hangover Day" for too many already.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/invasion-day-rally-draws-crowds-as-agitator-barred-from-ceremony-20180125-p4yywp.html
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 26 January 2018 4:02:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy