The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hear! Hear! > Comments

Hear! Hear! : Comments

By Ian Nance, published 21/12/2017

Like many music lovers, I came from an early childhood of music studies, in my case the piano.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
There's a world of beautiful music and comes in many forms from rock folk country and western and some of the classics. And a pleasant way to fill both the day and the house!

My worst bugbear? A few self absorbed pain in the neck, narcissists who want to talk over it, with irrelevant minutia!

I would have loved to Learn the piano. But was limited to the harmonica and my Dad's bagpipes. Which Mum loved, over the hill and far far away! That is, until she heard, the Mull of Kintyre. (Maol Chinn Tire)

I tried to read the hieroglyphics that's sheet music, but found too difficult! And consequently was forced to play by ear, until a severe dose of cauliflower ears. And a monumental crick in the neck prevented it.

Merry Christmas Ian.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 21 December 2017 10:47:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Johnhardy100 Uh?
Posted by Ponder, Friday, 22 December 2017 8:06:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Note by Note: A Celebration of the Piano Lesson
by Tricia Tunstall

"...In this luminous book, Tricia Tunstall explores the enduring fascination of the piano lesson. Even as everything else about the world of music changes, the piano lesson retains its appeal. Drawing on her own lifelong experience as a student and teacher, Tunstall writes about the mysteries and delights of piano teaching and learning. What is it that happens in a piano lesson to make it such a durable ritual? In a world where music is heard more often on the telephone and in the elevator than in the concert hall, why does the piano lesson still have meaning in the lives of children? What does it matter whether one more child learns to play Bach's Minuet in G? "Note by Note" is in part a memoir in which Tunstall recalls her own childhood piano teachers and their influence. As she observes, the piano lesson is unlike the experience of being coached on an athletic team or taught in a classroom, in that it is a one-on-one, personal communication. Physically proximate, mutually concentrating on the transfer of a skill that is often arduous, complicated and frustrating, teacher and student occasionally experience breakthroughs-moments of joy when the student has learned something, mastered a musical passage or expressed a feeling through music. The relationship is not only one-way: teaching the piano is a lifelong endeavor of particular intensity and power.

Anyone who has ever studied the piano-or wanted to-will cherish this gem of a book. (less)..."

Just finished reading this small book, in which Tunstill makes the same points as the author here.
The piano remains the superior method of music learning, as it tends to stabilise the learning process from the confusion of modern musical genres.
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 22 December 2017 8:25:58 AM
Ponder...

Johnny 100 is slightly off-key, but strangely appropriate.
Live chats are an excellent system of instant communication, in on-line purchasing.

Music is like that. There is a new note for every occasion!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 22 December 2017 8:34:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy