The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Discovering the real history of our peoples > Comments

Discovering the real history of our peoples : Comments

By Graham Young, published 1/9/2017

The uproar over the use of the word 'discover' is the latest skirmish in a war over two equally mythical views of Australian history.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. 21
  13. ...
  14. 23
  15. 24
  16. 25
  17. All
White's evidence, however, was considered 'gospel'...after all, he was there...or was he?

Last year a researcher finally decided to find out more about White...and he found nothing. White wasn't who he claimed to be and certainly wasn't a convict at Risdon Cove. There is no record of him at all. The massacre claims were all based on a lie by a phantom who never existed. So much for written evidence!

Of course, I can see you saying 'Ah ha...it proves my point!' Think about it though Joe, it demonstrates the fallibility of what is considered credible written and documented evidence. Everything should be questioned and not taken as 'gospel' simply because it is written down.

You may be interested to know that I don't put any credence in the claims of a massacre of Aboriginal people at Risdon Cove as I'm an Aboriginal historian who prefers to believe in verifiable evidence. A stance that contributed to me being 'sacked' from my position as Aboriginal Studies lecturer at university as I didn't 'toe the line' in perpetuating myth as fact.

Having said that, I also believe that many Aboriginal oral histories have value...something many in the scientific fields are now valuing too. Particularly when it comes to corroborating changing climate and associated events. I can give you some great examples but space won't allow me that luxury.
Posted by minotaur, Friday, 8 September 2017 6:45:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The photos of Kaakutja , Toorale man, show a straight cut of 150mm from forehead ( 40mm wide) to upper molar tooth . Stone of that length is about 10mm thick at 10mm back from edge and 20mm thick at 20mm back . To slice the lower front jaw and back molar the cutting edge needs to be twisted into the bone surface making the rake angle from perpendicular described by Porankiewicz . This gives more than 60 degrees on the stone face against bone which is in effect a blunt instrument. This causes depressed comminuted fractures.

Yes a hammer breaks bone and a stone axe can chop a tree into chips but not slice out a smooth scoop of wood.

Malaysian J Pathol 2014; 36(1) : 33 – 39
www.mjpath.org.my/2014/v36n1/blunt-force-trauma-to-skull.pdf

Blunt force trauma to skull with various instrument were analyzed according to type of blunt object used;

Due to the limited elasticity of the skull, a severe impact would eventually deform the bone. If the elastic limit of the bone is exceeded, blunt force trauma may cause fractures at the site of impact and dislocations of bony structures. Studies have shown that skull fractures produced by blunt force trauma usually begins at the impact site and then radiate outwards. It was interesting to note that when a higher absolute pressure was delivered by any of the blunt objects (Warrington hammer, field hockey stick and open face helmet), a comminuted fracture was produced .
( hammer and hockey stick have 20mm width as stone axe ).

such as this:
Mark Fraser Injury: Skull Purportedly Shows Impact Of Puck
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/13/mark-fraser-injury-skull_n_3268980.html

http://deadspin.com/the-purported-ct-scan-of-mark-frasers-head-is-terrifyi-501886762

Bunnings
No results found for stone axe in Our Range

Mitre 10
SEARCH RESULTS FOR stone axe
There are no results for this query.

Zombies can drop iron swords, zombie pigmen can drop golden swords, and wither skeletons can drop stone swords. It will usually be badly damaged, and may be enchanted.
Wooden, stone, golden, and diamond swords are now available in the creative inventory.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 8 September 2017 7:09:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Minotaur,

Please try to get it right: the absence of any evidence MAY very well indicate that, in a particular case or situation, there is no evidence of it occurring found yet.

But if you wish to assert that something happened, it is up to you, the asserter, to demonstrate that it occurred: we can all sit back and wait if you like, but if we had half a brain, we would suspend any belief in your declaration that something had occurred - in the absence of any evidence.

Dearest Foxy,

Not every story is true: your kids must had great fun running rings around you. Try this too:

Judge to prisoner: How do you plead ?

Prisoner: Not guilty, your honour.

Judge: Oh, okay then, you can go.

OR:

Judge: Then how do you explain this hour-long CCTV of you committing such a vile offence, from beginning to end ?

Prisoner: That's my identical twin brother.

Judge: Oh, okay then, you can go.

Etc. Surely you get the drift ?

Love,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 8 September 2017 7:58:46 AM
Skepticism, some common ground,

Dr Michael Shermer, Baloney detection Kit, 15minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJmRbSX8Rqo&feature=youtu.be

Gilovich
http://psy.haifa.ac.il/~ep/Lecture%20Files/Gilovich%20-%20Systematic%20Biases.pdf

Still at foot, Elizabeth Loftus,
http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_loftus_the_fiction_of_memory
Posted by leoj, Friday, 8 September 2017 9:17:58 AM
The Queenslander Blade : Oz Mulga and Surgical Men's Shed announce the butcher's cleaver and Medical bone-chisel formed from west Queensland finest mulga-steel . Developed by archaeologists and University Ethics Officers this attractive dark Aboriginal wood is machined to .000003 micrometres if you want to split hairs. Forget your old steel wood-axe , the Axemen champions of Tasmania and Bourke rain-forests have up-graded to wooden axes for rust-free razor-action mulga sword-cuts. 2 spare axe-heads supplied free for blunt axes after first strike. Surgeons get 3 leather straps to sharpen chisels in the middle of surgical operations . Butchers tough luck . $ 128 a trailer load , a bit more in Tasmania. Guaranteed to cut trees faster than stone axes.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 8 September 2017 11:58:43 AM
A test of mulga wood on pigskull by ANU failed to produce trauma. My test also failed but caused a shallow groove like that on the left side of Toorale skull next to the sword-cut. So a test on human skull is indicated by the science . Steel blades have a known effect . A stone axe could be tried on pig but what do you think will happen ?
Clue : coke can under foot .

Here is a human cadaver skull ready to go under mulga blade. Anyone with contacts to a uni or Qld think tank is invited to apply:
"Sounds interesting.
This is possible but we will need a protocol for the project – 1 page detailing aim and what will be done to the skull."
Best wishes
Nalini Pather
Associate Professor
School of Medical Sciences . UNSW Medicine .
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 8 September 2017 9:00:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. 21