The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The long, long story: 'Principled Realism', Trump and Afghanistan > Comments

The long, long story: 'Principled Realism', Trump and Afghanistan : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 24/8/2017

President Donald Trump did what US Presidents have done since George W. Bush: commit.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
An unwinnable war as it has been for the previous several thousand years.
Just as long a we don`t get dragged in again following the master.
Posted by ateday, Thursday, 24 August 2017 9:37:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Given the already sacrificed lives and treasure! Was there any other choice?

And I believe the mission statement to limit their operations to just killing terrorist as well as FOREVER denying them any semblance of sovereign territory is/was the right call!

It's not often I find much to agree with, with an inherently immoral man, I believe, stole an election, but this time I do!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 24 August 2017 12:40:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think it's a misperception of US long-term military strategy that it tries to win wars. All the wars the US has fought since WWII, either directly or by proxy, are not meant to be won. They are meant to maintain a continuing US presence in multiple countries around the world and to prevent any kind of rival political or economic system from taking hold and succeeding.

In this sense, US military strategy has been very successful
Posted by Killarney, Thursday, 24 August 2017 5:36:09 PM
Too much at stake financially with heroin, oil pipelines and other resource plays in the region for the US not to be there.

You don't actually think this is about bringing democracy do you?
Well it could be; if democracy equals heroin, oil pipelines and resource plays...
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 29 August 2017 5:58:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy