The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why the Victorian government has little common sense when it comes to hot water systems > Comments

Why the Victorian government has little common sense when it comes to hot water systems : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 20/7/2017

One of the most important policy issues confronting Australia, and one which has highlighted the failure of Australian governments to deliver, concerns Australia's energy needs.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I agree with this article about these pump hot Water systems.

I needed a new system a few months ago when my electric hot water system I'd had for many years packed it in. I got online and had a look at what systems were available. Bunnings had these pump systems and the old type electric hot water systems.

I saw the pump systems, and wondered what they were, and I did read they weren't much good in cold places. Which begs the question why are they allowed to keep selling them in cold places.

However I live in the tropical north so. I thought, maybe they would be ok here.
It just so happened I had to get an electrician out to fix a couple of lights, and I asked him about my hot water system. It turned out, he had installed water systems for years, until the government bought in some different regulations he didn't like.

I asked him what these pump hot water systems were and should I get one. He straight away said, "don't go anywhere near them" they are no good.

I also think we are being ripped off with all this expensive solar panelling. I saw a bloke
helping out in a poor ramshackle, slum area, overseas, and he rigged up a simple
V- shaped, long piece of tin, connected to a water pump, and when the tin heated up in the sun he just turned on the pump and let the water run down the tin into the makeshift
house and it provided hot water for cooking and somehow also powered a single bulb that lit the slum house when it got dark.

I live alone so my need for hot water isn't that great. Surely there must be a more simple rustic way to provide me with a bit of hot water
I feel as though business and the government are making solar too expensive. Older people don't have the years left to recoup the cost.
Posted by CHERFUL, Saturday, 22 July 2017 11:49:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I will bet quids they do not take into account all the CO2 produced
in replacing the dud heating systems.
I have had OFF peak electric hot water systems for years & years.
I had a ceiling mounted gravity fed copper tank for a very long time
that sprang a leak and I replaced it with an electric vertical tank
of the type you see in the off side passage of most homes.
No problems, go like clocks for decades.
Take control of the energy system away from politicians and give
control to the engineers.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 23 July 2017 1:23:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gas solar hot water systems are clearly problematic in frost-prone areas. If they break down in Wodonga/Albury, they would be totally impractical in places like Canberra that frequently have sub-zero overnight temperatures.
Chris - a copy of your article to your local politicians would be a good move.

Another matter I have wondered about re solar panels: are they damaged when hit by large hailstones - like golf ball size or larger? Such hail is not common, but when it does occur in built-up areas millions of dollars of damage can be caused to cars, roofs, etc.
Posted by MESSMATE, Wednesday, 26 July 2017 1:33:34 PM
Thanks for interesting comments.

I did provide a version to local Border Mail paper.
http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4798922/policy-push-burning-a-hole-in-our-pockets/

I am not sure whether Canberra home owners get more choice with new houses, but would like to find out.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Thursday, 27 July 2017 8:34:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy