The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What should former PMs do? > Comments

What should former PMs do? : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 6/7/2017

He ought to be allowed to say what he thinks without his automatically attracting the 'naughty boy' label by doing so.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
We will be pushed further to the Left as more young people are put on the electoral roll. Young people are susceptible to the Left because they have had everything given to them all their lives. The Left tells them that there will always be someone else to pay.

The conservative approach taken over the past 50 years has failed. There is nothing left to conserve. Society has been corrupted by the Left. There are no morals, and there is there is no defence of our values.

The Liberal party has sunk to the level of the Labor party. It must be replaced by a true conservative party to put the country back into balance. There is nobody, including Tony Abbott, who can repair the damage.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 6 July 2017 3:23:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm going to repeat what I've written on other
discussions regarding the behaviour of Mr Abbott.
So please bear with me if you've read it previously.

Mr Abbott once said, "There will be no wrecking,
no undermining, and no sniping." He was going to shut up
and let the government get on with governance. Well, we
are now a very long way in from Mr Abbott's departing
statements. He keeps lobbying verbal grenades and
leering over the shoulder of the Turnbull government.
Under the guise of his opinions or unsolicited advice it
is hard to ignore the fact that the man has not given up
on his dreams of holding court in Kirribilli House.

I think that nobody can see Mr Abbott wanting to be on the
back bench forever.

What should former PMs do?

Quit.

After all it is the back bencher and not the Prime Minister
who should quit if the government is not big enough for both.

This country needs to find some sort of stability.
Mr Abbott is doing a great deal of harm to his own Party.
It needs to stop - now.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 6 July 2017 7:20:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don,

I always enjoy your articles and am usually left with a number of thorny issues to contemplate. This article is another of the same. Thanks again.

One day if it is to your taste, I would like to read your views on thinking; secondly, if there is any chance of improving the thinking of students that could help them in their life (and hopefully model to their children in time); and finally, whether getting thinking into the curriculum is even possible, given that it might (would!) challenge factoids elsewhere.
Posted by leoj, Thursday, 6 July 2017 9:42:12 PM
ttbn

'We will be pushed further to the Left as more young people are put on the electoral roll. Young people are susceptible to the Left because they have had everything given to them all their lives. The Left tells them that there will always be someone else to pay.'

Yes, those selfish young millennials who ... like ... believe that university tuition should be ... like ... free. Their parents benefited from free university tuition to ... like ... provide a strong, stable, secure upbringing for their offspring.

Gaining a university degree is no longer ... like ... what their parents strived for to obtain a better job. It's now ... like ... the bottom-rung requirement for entry to the workforce. So, they have to ... like ... saddle themselves with years and years of debt to just enter the workforce.

Putting young people on the electoral role is dangerous. They know that something is wrong. Their government has plenty of money to spend on bombing Syria and tax cuts for the rich and exorbitant parliamentary pensions and financing the privatisation of everything, and not enough to spend on social infrastructure, welfare, health care and education.

Like ... who do they think they are? The future generation or something?
Posted by Killarney, Friday, 7 July 2017 6:18:02 AM
Killarney,

Well done. You summarise the uselessness of the generation in question very well. You think that you are being smart and sarcastic, but you are actually telling the truth. A lot of useless young bludgers the lot of them.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 7 July 2017 12:08:15 PM
ttbn

Yeah. Useless young bludgers faced with a 4-6 year HECS debt, followed by unpaid internships, followed by zero-hours contracts, followed by a housing market too expensive to enter.

Yeah. These useless young bludgers have got it made. I'd love to be in their shoes. What a pity I was born 30 years too early.
Posted by Killarney, Friday, 7 July 2017 11:12:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy