The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Coral Sea mythology: Malcolm Turnbull's fictions > Comments

Coral Sea mythology: Malcolm Turnbull's fictions : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 11/5/2017

Discussions about invading Australia to prevent it being used as a base for Allied harassment never went beyond middle-ranking naval officers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
One other thing,
we can thank the American General for deciding to defend Australia in
the North. The politicians in the south, had decided to fall back and
only defend the land South of the Brisbane line as it was called.

My Old Dad talks about how people he knew abandoned their homes
in Townsville and headed south. But most people stayed because they had
no where to go. The American General however said he wasnt prepared to let the Japanese gain a base on Australia in the north and said
he thought it was better to fight them before they gained a foothold on Australian soil.

So the Brisbane line was abandoned.
Posted by CHERFUL, Thursday, 11 May 2017 2:29:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My Father fought in the Pacific, as did many of his uncles and cousins, many of who never returned. I doubt if any of Binoy's did?

I believe Malcolm's revised colorfully expanded version? Is far closer to the verifiable and published facts than anti American Binoy's propagandized dismissal of the unrepayble blood sacrifice of American servicemen and material.

This was a no holds barred contest by them that took thousand of young American servicemen that threw in and risked the entire remaining American navy.

Sent motor plywood torpedo boats, one of which was commanded by one other than war hero, President Kennedy, against heavily armored dreadnought battleships, cruisers, destroyers and patrol boats, filled to the gunnels with Japanese marines. And without question saved our bacon!

Almost as inspiring as the handful of Aussie civilian soldiers, who fighting a strategic withdrawal rearguard action, shall live forever in the annals of history, myth and legend, as one of our finest moments, where the might of the previously undefeated and unstoppable Nipponese army, was finally halted, then forced to withdraw.

And yes, there's some truth in that time worn adage, the older we are the better we got?

Even so, least we forget!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 11 May 2017 2:47:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The Yanks not only did not use the Oz military to fight their war, but rejected the offer of using it."
Burma railway was gratefully accepted by the emperor and probably he would offer further mining and timber jobs in Japanese Australia. And wool .
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 11 May 2017 3:33:30 PM
Would the Japanese invade Australia?

As far as I know off there were at least two landings. One between Karumba & Burketown. They made it almost as far south as Julia Creek. The only survivor wrote a book after the War describing his experiences. He was dropped off from a Submarine with 102 Marines. He was here for three months & lost all his men & never saw who did it. When he was the last one left there were sign which way he should go & they took him back to where he was dropped off. He was the only survivor.

The second landing was at Cromarty between Townsville & Giru near Ayr. One of the men I worked with at the Railways was a Coast watcher, Mick Statham, during the War when he spotted the Japanese landing. He informed Military Headquarters in Townsville & they refused to believe him at first. He insisted so they sent a Negro Battalion down from Woodstock. Negro's weren't allowed into Townsville City Limits. A short Battle was fought & two Negros were killed & one wounded they killed one Japanese Marine & wounded two. The Japanese were rounded up & kept under military Guard in the cutting a Jezzine Barracks before being sent South by special train. My Father-in-Law was one of the Guards. All very Hush, hush at the time.

Some of my uncles left civilization during the War & lived on Cape Upstart. While I was growing up we would holiday over at Cape Upstart in the Huts. There were hundreds of Japanese Whisky & Saki Bottles laying all over the Beach. I asked the Uncles about them & they told me that the Japanese used Cape Upstart as a rewatering Base. They would come ashore & collect fresh water & have a BBQ on the Beach. They always had plenty of Alcohol & were happy to share it around. Alcohol was very hard to get during the War. They never interfered with my uncles. In fact, they said that the Japanese were always very polite.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 11 May 2017 4:01:17 PM
Cont.

How many other places were visited? Lord only knows.

Considering the number of attacks on the East Coast, Newcastle, Sydney, the Hospital ship of Frazier Island. I'd say there were intentions of making a landing somewhere on Australian soil. The Gulf would have been a bad choice as it's either parched as old leather or a meter deep in mud. the East Coast of Queens would be a bad choice as there are only a few places on the Reef that you can access open sea. The rest of the North is deserted.

The Army had an Exercise across the Top End in the 80's. Ever seen the Photo of the Python caught on the electric Fence, Taken by a lad in 2 RAR on the QLD/NT border. They said when they got back that if anyone invaded across there the best thing to do was withdraw a bit at a time & stretch their Supply lines until they gave up or died of hunger & thirst.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 11 May 2017 4:01:41 PM
After the war it was known that the Coral Sea battle stopped the
invasion of New Guinea. During the war there would have been almost no
one who would have known the truth as it was Ultra.
What was assumed during the war was that Japan might well invade
Australia. Ever heard of the Brisbane line ?
It was never a given because many people assumed that the country is
so vast that the Japanese would have been overstretched.

Probably what was a concern was if a peace was made with a victorious
Japan, we would have had an occupation.
From what I read about the Japanese wartime planning was that Australia
was too big and would take too many troops to occupy. There was a big
argument about an invasion and some Naval planners wanted to invade
but the army did not have the troops to do the job.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 11 May 2017 4:13:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy