The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Aly’s self-wedge on figures of speech > Comments

Aly’s self-wedge on figures of speech : Comments

By Tim Wilson, published 5/4/2017

The irony is that every example Aly has put forward about the conduct she wants made unlawful is harassment.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
If Labor adopt the establishment of anti-blasphemy laws then they are asking to not be elected ever again.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 8:55:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“By inadvertently calling for a ­national anti-blasphemy law, Labor's Anne Aly has exposed the hollowness of her party's opposition to constructive reform of section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.”

'Inadvertently'? It is a quite deliberate attempt to introduce another Islamic-like stricture on free speech. The Labor party, by allowing this woman to suggest such totalitarian nonsense, is clearly ready to accept dhimmitude to Islam for itself and the people of Australia.

Any laws on 'blasphemy' in a secular, civilised Western country would be absurd. Leave it to Islamic dictatorships.

The lunacy of allowing Muslims among us should now be apparent to even the dullest of us. We now have Muslims in our parliament simply because people vote for parties, and not for common sense.

Given the warnings we have had from overseas, particularly from Eurabia (Europe), it is obvious that Australians are very stupid people.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 9:54:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The positive side of the anti religious offense, is that Islamic preachers that propose discrimination against non believers can be hauled to court.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 10:55:28 AM
Dear ttbn,

I found this on the web:

The key to holding a logical argument is to allow
oneself to understand the other person's argument
no matter how different their views may be.

Or put another way:

I am patient with stupid people - but not with
those who are proud of it.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 10:57:18 AM
Nothing like a bit of sensationalism. Jumping in with a rock solid opinion before the starters gun has fired.
Posted by doog, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 11:06:24 AM
"Minority groups, ethnic or ­religious, often have negative views towards other vulnerable communities."
And not just to vulnerable communities, they have negative views to anyone one not of their own community. It is called "tribalism" and it is particularly present in places including Africa and the Middle East and even Australia.
David

Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 11:27:23 AM
Hollow debate and not all arabs are muslim, some are even jews or christians!

Anyhow, pointless rhetoric, given the senate has voted to retain 18C as is!

And as it is, protects all ethnic minorities from being profiled or racially vilified by the moribund. Whose extraordinarily minute vocabulary and IQ, limits their use of proper english so as to allow them to vehemently critique, medieval Islam, or deadbeat dads or male hating feminists or climate change denialists, or the intellectually challenged, without racially vilifying an ethnic minority!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 5 April 2017 12:30:57 PM
Yes, Alan B. There are Christian Arabs in the Middle East; not so sure about Jewish Arabs.

The Christian Arabs in the Middle East are as anti-Israel as are the Muslims, because that protects them from Muslim violence. That's what dhimmitude (being able to exist under Muslim rule) is all about: no disagreement with Islam, and a bit of praise helps, too. It's not so bad in places like Malaysia. It's the Arabs who are the real problem.

Foxy,

Thank's for suggesting that I'm stupid. Fortunately, I have a thick skin and don't much care what other people think of me.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 4:00:45 PM
I think it was Steve Price who got into trouble on Q & A for calling a woman hysterical. Well Aly certainly is. Have I broken a law?
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 4:14:01 PM
Dear ttbn,

My remarks were not directed at you personally.
But it looks like I somehow struck a cord.
That was not my intent. I'm pleased that you
do have thick skin.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 5:00:23 PM
"Of course, the law wouldn't just censor offensive debate about Islam, but all religions."

So, the recent SSM lobbyist harassment of certain Christians employed by IBM, Price Waterhouse and Macquarie University would be caught.

Tim Wilson, what recourse against such harassment would Christians have if the law were not so changed?
Posted by Raycom, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 5:38:48 PM
Blasphemy may or may not be punishable by law in some States, it's something of a legal puzzle.
However, the consensus seems to be that blasphemy may be prosecuted under the anti-discrimination laws.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 6:21:28 PM
Blasphemy is total rubbish. As a life long atheist who believes they are all fools and charlatans how on earth can I insult any of them. I have not only no respect for these idiots but hatred. So lock me up for having an opinion? A sincere, intelligent and deeply held opinion as sincere as any of the god botherers on the planet!
Posted by JBowyer, Wednesday, 5 April 2017 10:35:04 PM
Hi SM,

Maybe not:, that ".... Islamic preachers that propose discrimination against non believers can be hauled to court."

No, more likely, hand in hand with the repression of any criticism of any religion (including Christianity) will be the requirement that everyone MUST be religious, adhering to one religion or another.

Of course, the next step for Ann Aly is to point out, eyes blinking innocently, is that Shari'a law should, yes, be made part of Australia's legal system, BUT only for Muslims. At this stage. And the dumb-dumb 'Left' will go along with it. Then maybe 'Christian law' for Christians, and perhaps even Jewish law for Jews, etc. Each sealed off in their own quarters perhaps, like the 'milayet' system in feudal Ottoman Turkey ? In fact, most feudal societies had something similar, along with distinctive clothing for the adherents of each religion. Hmmm, where is that going on ?

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 6 April 2017 11:18:11 AM
Anyone with eyes could see this turning point in the march of Islam coming. The British saw it coming too (especially while enslaved to the EU) and moved to block it. They did it by legislating an amendment 29J to their version of 18C - something we must demand in Australia as a matter of urgency.

Here is what 19J says:
"Nothing in this Part shall be read or given effect in a way which prohibits or restricts discussion, criticism or expressions of antipathy, dislike, ridicule, insult or abuse of particular religions or the beliefs or practices of their adherents, or of any other belief system or the beliefs or practices of its adherents, or proselytising or urging adherents of a different religion or belief system to cease practising their religion or belief system."
Posted by EmperorJulian, Monday, 10 April 2017 4:30:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy