The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bill Leak (1956-2017) – ‘waking up with a roaring fatwa’ > Comments

Bill Leak (1956-2017) – ‘waking up with a roaring fatwa’ : Comments

By Barry York, published 21/3/2017

'These people are trying to take us down the road to fascism. It might be nice, PC, inclusive, compassionate, non-gender specific smiley-face fascism but it’s still fascism.'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
ttbn I notice Barry York had an OLO piece on free speech back in March last year. So he hasn't just crawled out of the woodwork.
Posted by David McMullen, Tuesday, 21 March 2017 6:40:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My political leanings are much more to the right than left but there are some on the left I can respect and learn from. The late Christopher Hitchins did some fantastic work, much of Sam Harris's work is worth paying attention to even where the conclusions differ.

The seemingly blind group think, virtue signalling and apparent inability to deal with issues honestly or in any depth of so called progressives seems to have little to do with what to me seems the more honest left. No more so than the extremes of the right really represent the right.

Often from what I can see the beliefs are not actually thought through, they are tribal mantras.

On the issue of suppression of free speech the irony in the riot and violence used to shut down a Milo Yiannopoulos event at Berkeley in the US was ironic in that much of the free speech movement is regarded as having had it's roots at Berkeley. Probably worth browsing a few sources if you are interested but didn't follow it https://www.forbes.com/sites/shelbycarpenter/2017/02/02/twitter-milo-yiannopoulos-blocked-berkeley-protests/#7a14cfcf5ee8 http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/02/01/berkeley-braces-for-protests-at-yiannopoulos-talk/

My impression is that the school and media is downplaying the level of violence and trying to blame it all on the masked "outsiders". There seems to be a reasonable case to think that neither tells the true story.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 21 March 2017 9:07:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bill Leak drew non-consensual politico cartoons, with bias towards extreme graphics, and aimed to offend: And often did.
Isn't Australian culture alive and well, and couldn't Leaks persecution for persisting with his cartoon insults, be firmly placed under the heading " Tall poppy syndrome" as a reactionary consequence ?
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 22 March 2017 4:56:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Ttbn,

Your statement that " ..... I have to say that I find it hard to believe that Bill Leak agreed that, when it came to the working class, “ there was no such thing as foreigners”. ....." touches on a basic ambiguity in Australia: that, certainly since the War, the working class certainly has been built on, and by, immigrant workers. And, since they tended to get along together, it's true in a real sense that there were no foreigners, since almost everybody was a 'foreigner': everyone was becoming Australian.

From the time when I went looking for the working class in 1965 in order to participate in the imminent Revolution, I found very few Anglos, or at least Australian-born Anglos: they seemed to have mostly moved up into management. I worked at Metters, Arnott's, Kodak, Noon Pies in Preston, Balfour's, at flour mills, meat works and in produce markets, in SA, Victoria and New Zealand, and invariably 'foreigners' were in the majority: at some places, I was the only Anglo except for the supervisors and management. And we all got along pretty well. In that sense, we were all in it together, so we weren't 'foreigners' to each other.

Hence the ambiguity :) Maybe that's what Bill Leak meant ? Wouldn't have missed it for quids !

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 22 March 2017 11:32:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy