The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The current moral alarm over child sexual abuse masks statistical realities > Comments

The current moral alarm over child sexual abuse masks statistical realities : Comments

By Bettina Arndt, published 15/4/2002

Bettina Arndt argues that the facts about child abuse are being ignored as emotional public debate debate dominates

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Let me tell you a brief story which underlines the errors in your perspective. My father was convicted of sexually abusing a young girl over a period of eight years. He was sentenced to four and a half years and served just nine months with no attempt at rehabilitation. What the jury didn't know was that he had also molested another four girls including my four-year-old daughter. The evidence was not admissible. Then, over ten years later, he was again convicted of molesting another young girl with evidence (apparently not strong enough) of having interfered with another. This time he was sentenced to nine months and served just six weeks. Only God knows how many other children have been involved along the way. The Attorney-General can up the penalties all he likes but, if they are not being applied, what's the point? You have no idea how many people, including me and my family, who have been hurt by his actions. I have written and published a book entitled "When Angels Cry" which I would dearly love you to read. Just email me at whenangelscry@optusnet.com.au and I will send you a complimentary copy and take you inside the real story. Very few accounts of child sexual abuse get reported, even less get to court, and a paltry few result in convictions. Then, unless under the media glare for being prominent citizens, the sentences are pitiful.
Posted by whenangelscry, Thursday, 23 December 2004 11:42:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy