The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Give yourself a break - limit social media > Comments

Give yourself a break - limit social media : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 23/12/2016

What the Copenhagen study doesn’t appear to mention is the disturbing fact that prolonged use of social media cuts down on our 'eyeball time'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
One study. This study. Another study. All of these studies prove diddly squat. They are merely the ravings of people who have been given grants - by taxpayers generally - because they can't get useful, productive jobs with their useless degrees in bulldust. Here today, gone tomorrow. Stuff that 99.9% of people don't care about and never read.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 23 December 2016 9:32:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Almost impossible to disagree with any of this! And add, we would do well to spend a couple of days of every week learning how to think investigate and reason with only our God given biological brain, with its 5 billion circuits?

And because the human brain is like human muscles, use it or lose it.

Using links to access information might be useful and save time? Get you past some arbitrary deadline?

But there is no substitute for hands on learning and developing your own internal resources via reading voluminous scholarly tomes!

Plus confirming what you've garnered via hands on experimentation. Or watch others do it for you!

Without which, all that is left, is the loudest most aggressive advocates or naysayers. Thus we burn coal and leave climate change essentially unaddressed!

Because, like the frog being slowly brought to the boil in a pot of water. We remain warm and comfortable, for now!

Educated folk still able to do all their own reasoning and critical thinking, would have mothballed their coal mines and coal fired power stations decades ago, then powered their respective better performing economies with cheaper than coal, cleaner than coal, safer than coal thorium!

Instead, we have allowed a handful of virtual dictators and we know best autocrats to mire us in debt, foreign ownership and control? Why?

Because all they care about is feathering their own nests? And lack the personal biological computing power to see just how diabolically dumb that rationale really is!

It's like going to the gym and working only on strengthening your right arm to the exclusion of all else? Then entering a marathon, only to lose the race in the first 100 metres, because of lack of conditioning and strengthening the rest of the body.

. Similarly, we do something similar to our economies by concentrating too much of our finite wealth in too few hands! And are too immersed in addictive social media too see let alone understand how we betray ourselves and generations yet unborn!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 23 December 2016 9:51:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agreed completely ttbn.

I was thinking as I read this tripe, here we have someone studying a pile of useless studies, done by a host of totally useless academics on a totally unnecessary subject, in pretend disciplines, just to be able to prove they have totally unnecessarily published some c##p, when grant time comes round again.

Not only that, they have all drawn excessively high salaries from the long suffering taxpayers of various countries while doing it. As for studying from books, been there, did that, & you know about the T shirt. I can remember having 5 different text books open, going from one to another trying to find what I wanted when doing my aerodynamics. Having it all at the click of a mouse is much more effective, when trying to absorbe facts & theorems.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 23 December 2016 10:25:28 AM
Hasbeen: You were thinking (a novel new experience) as you were reading? I wondered where that strange burning smell was coming from?

Try and avoid that activity in the future, least you do irreparable harm to the still active grey matter, that allegedly, occupies the largely vacant space between your ears?

Though I must admit, the echo effect of such large empty space is quite entertaining, entertaining, entertaining!

I know of a couple of advertising agencies that would pay handsomely to incorporate that immicable empty space echo effect (how are you? I'm fine thanks! What color is yours? Dunno, can't see it, given the huge overhang!) in some of their RUV advertising.

You enjoy the Christmas break now y'hear! They get fewer with every passing year!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 23 December 2016 11:15:13 AM
thanks for the laugh ttbn and Has been. You certainly cut through the bulldust.
Posted by runner, Friday, 23 December 2016 5:44:46 PM
Quite a blast there Alan. But then you have admitted you are thick enough to actually believe in the global warming scam, so your opinions are not of much value.

Do try to cheer up & have a merry Christmas. Might improve your liver problem.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 23 December 2016 5:47:47 PM
The author picks-off Face Book in particular, for criticism unfairly I believe.
What I observe inside my own relationship with FB, is its proponents among friends and families are not comprehensive.
But for those of the above who are proponents, it is invaluable as a communication tool.
The article glosses over the power we have by its design, to enable a streamlining of the tool.

To be fair though, I could imagine excessive use of social media, as a fault. And could not disagree. However, as a comparison to other mass human obsessions, it is low down the list of culprits in the negative scale.

We tend to judge our environment by external observations of our surroundings. Since that is so, easy it is to observe people around us with their heads staring into an electronic device, as a fault in them, when it is not necessarily so, irrespective of the arguments against in this article.
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 24 December 2016 6:50:58 AM
Engineering and aerodynamics Hasbeen?

Should tell us, you have (or had) a logical rational mind? So maybe you can explain the phenomena of the trend, since the mid seventies, of record following record ambient temperatures. And occurring during a solar waning period, that seems to have kicked in, also in the mid seventies? (NASA)

Traditionally, a cooling sun, waning period, would have ushered in an ice age! Not year on year trending ever upward, record high temperatures.

Simply put, a cooler solar furnace does not make for a warmer planet!

That's like saying a naturally aspirated, four cylinder torana, is going to put in a hotter lap around Mount Panorama, than the V8 powered one!

You want to eyeball the visual evidence? Replete with accurate charts!

Then get on the weather channel. And take a butchers, the come back and repeat that risible rubbish if you can, that it's all a money making conspiracy that involves hundreds and hundreds of secretly cooperating scientists, the world over. Some of who don't get a cracker of grant money!

One could understand the reluctance of accepting change, if it could harm our economy! But a timely (ASAP) transition to thorium, rolled out, once again, publicly owned power generation, as walk away safe, molten salt, thorium reactors would do the very opposite!

From which, we'd gain the world's cheapest, safest cleanest energy!

And would come with the added bonus of being carbon free!

And allow our future exports to avoid inevitable carbon tariffs!

Couple that "new energy", to recent innovation that desalinates water (deionizing dialysis) for quarter of the traditional cost and results in 95% Potable water, that among a host of tangible benefits, could easily create, a drought proofed Australia!

The Irish have an expression, which goes, life wasn't meant to be taken too seriously, after all, none of us will ever get out of it alive! Sorry, sorry, sorry if you don't find my humor funny, funny, funny? Try putting a finger in one ear, instead of both? Works for me!

Merry Christmas old mate and a happier New Year!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 24 December 2016 9:33:44 AM
Happy Silly Season to you all. Have a safe one. No worries, Drumphf, once in the White House will up the ante on the nuclear industry. Australia's looming recession will be no longer, as a result of U2 sales going gangbusters. Some time before the economic forecasts are due in we'll see a conflagration ( No Alan B it won't be Thorium based) and global warming will be cured with a decade or so of nuclear winters as a result of MAD. Russia will be the new world superpower ( if they're happy with a radioactive pile of dust formerly known as 'Earth'). Happy New Year !
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Tuesday, 27 December 2016 12:52:20 PM
Don't be silly Albie, it's Hillary who was in the pocket of the military industrial complex. They want a bit of increase in business, & Hillary would have given it to them.

Trump is in businesses that suffer in wartime, so has much less reason to want any conflict.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 27 December 2016 6:01:14 PM
Hasbeen...the only thing I remember from my flying days (actually parachuting with the military) was this very true adage: "the probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival."

As I've aged the other saying applies more as each day passes, which says:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!" (Original Author Unknown)

A more refined version was published by Sir Walter Scott.

“One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action, and filled with noble risks, is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honour or observation.”

May you all have a wonderful and enjoyable 2017 ! May your existences not be stolen, but given their best shot with what you have available. Thank you all for the repartee and wisecracks along the way. Best wishes from the other side of Australia.
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Tuesday, 27 December 2016 8:03:53 PM
This is a great concept. We spend too much time on social media!
Posted by Edward95, Thursday, 29 December 2016 9:27:04 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy