The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It takes two to tango: discussing sexual health with older patients in primary care > Comments

It takes two to tango: discussing sexual health with older patients in primary care : Comments

By Sue Malta, Meredith Temple-Smith and Jane Hocking, published 19/12/2016

We are gradually moving away from the biomedical definition of sex as intercourse, towards a more nuanced view of sex as consisting of non-penetrative practices that foster intimacy, arousal and, ultimately, satisfaction.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I don't think I could read this without throwing up. When I was young, the thought of old people at it made me sick. Now that I am one of those old people myself, the thought makes me even sicker, knowing what it's like being old. Their is nothing sexual or attractive about us oldies.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 19 December 2016 9:37:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am 91, and my interest in sex has not diminished in the least. George Washington said, "Let us erect a standard to which the wise and honest can repair." At least he could erect a standard.
Posted by david f, Monday, 19 December 2016 11:16:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I want to know if these uninformed oldies have been living in a cave for the past 50 years!
Even having spent a large portion of my adult life in remote areas hasn't protected me from a bombardment of sexuality from television, videos, music, literature and now social media.
Anyone who claims to be sexually illiterate in this day and age has more to worry about than whether or not to use a condom.
Posted by Big Nana, Monday, 19 December 2016 12:57:06 PM
ttbn,
Which wrist do you intend to slit first?
Posted by ateday, Monday, 19 December 2016 1:32:49 PM
Onya David.
I`m with you.
Posted by ateday, Monday, 19 December 2016 4:00:25 PM
Dear Sue, Meredith and Jane, I note that you all hail from Melbourne so you will be familiar with some of my references.
I'm a gerry in my seventies and consult a GP and other practicianers at the Alfred hospital. I have attempted to raise issues of a sexual nature with these authority figures and am usually simply ignored, such as, "I want to discuss the effects, of the drugs you prescribe me, on my libido." Silence. "I want to discuss vaginismus." Silence.
So much so I feel I am communicating in an incomprehensible language. On only one occasion I complained that I was prescribed a drug for my heart condition that is a chemical castration drug and I was told to stop taking it, but no further discussion.
Doctors need to remove their hands from their trouser pockets.
Posted by deadly, Wednesday, 21 December 2016 1:43:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy