The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Beating The Drum on On Line Opinion > Comments

Beating The Drum on On Line Opinion : Comments

By Graham Young, published 25/7/2016

I'm never happy to see a publication die, but this was one that should never have been started, doing damage to On Line Opinion, amongst other online publishers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Bernie, haven't you noticed that the ABC is now under control of the LNP govt, too scared to mention anything other than rightist agenda. The few presenters who deviate from ultra right wing rhetoric are getting fewer.
What exactly are you after - total media control by the ultra right wing. That is fascism.
Posted by Aka, Monday, 25 July 2016 10:44:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Aka,

Welcome back ! Some of us have really missed you, and your thought-provoking comments. Please stay :))))

But: [you were waiting for that 'but', eh ?] OLO is, I think, entirely privately-funded, while the ABC, which I grew up on and love, is well-funded. A bit of even-handedness wouldn't go amiss.

I partly agree with you that, " ... OLO gets a clique of posters who dominate and attempt to intimidate."

Two or more 'cliques', probably: one on the Regressive 'Left' and one sort of on the Right. I'm not sure where I fall, since, being a grumpy old bastard, I don't agree fully with any other poster. And I wouldn't be surprised if every other poster felt the same way, about every OTHER poster.

That's the wonderful thing about freedom of expression. I've found that I've had to think far more about topics because somebody has pointed out the obvious faults in my arguments, and therefore to improve them. Not that there have been many, of course.

Freedom of expression presupposes the freedom for everybody else to criticise every opinion. Bloody annoying sometimes, but on reflection, I think it's a wonderful and precious thing.

Please, please stay !

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 25 July 2016 11:17:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Apparently, after undertaking the Vote Compass test, my political views are to the left. But The Drum was one of the most leftist and biased sites I have seen.

I would never suggest that the ABC be privatised, as far too many public assets have been privatised, but I would not say that the ABC is Australian in the slightest, and the ABC is doing very little to support Australia.

The ABC is highly Americanised, and I would think about 80% of the content of the ABC is now American content.

The regional radio stations play American music almost exclusively, and maybe once a day they might play a song from an Australian group.

Discussion of movies on ABC radio is exclusively on American movies, and I have never once heard an ABC radio announcer mention an Australian movie.

Hours are spent on the ABC talking about American politics, and RN now connects to some American news system during the middle of the day where the announcers are all American, and the news is American news only.

Then programs such as Rage play almost exclusively American videos right through the night.

If all the hours of content of the ABC radio stations and TV stations were added up, about 80% would have to be American content.

The Australian taxpayer is now paying for free advertising of American music, American movies and American politicians.

I would also think The Drum TV program is the most boring show on the ABC, unless someone likes endless discussion about the Labor party and the Liberal party, or endless discussion about a two party political system.
Posted by interactive, Monday, 25 July 2016 11:36:36 AM
For the most part I agree with what you say Graham. I could never understand why ABC journalists who were meant to be impartial were allowed to write articles. The best that could be said for allowing it was that their bias or point of view became public.
The ABC needs to get back to gathering and interpreting information. They need a more even spread of correspondents overseas. We need better coverage of Asia.
I do not like the cult of the personality. The story should not be about Leigh Sales, Tony Jones, et al. A little more humility and professionalism would not go astray. ABC 'stars' should not be allowed to accept paid gigs. They are where they are because they are on tax payer money and pay.
In my opinion Scott was a weak disaster, he did not understand or get to grips with his role.
I don't agree the ABC is 'left', if anything it is moving further to the right! But the point is it needs to be seen to be impartial. the truth must out and if the truth hurts so be it. Bruce Haigh
Posted by tartan, Monday, 25 July 2016 11:44:36 AM
mmm while the drum had it's problems, I don't think it can be blamed for the fall of newspapers. I think newpapers have got themselves to blame for that one.
As for journalism well that is now a dead profession, yes there are still people that call themselves journalist but they are lying.
The ABC was one of the last bastions for journalist but they have all gone too now. they are all opinion writers these days.

I hope Graham you don't actually believe that one line opinion is much better when it comes to bias either.

If you read the opinion piece here just on climate change you would be left with the impression that there was serious main stream doubt that the problem even existed?

I can't imagine it would be an easy exercise to manage any media outlet theses days. but I do believe that if you provide a good product that people will buy it, either directly or by putting up with Ads.

As for the ABC well, I think there is around 20 million different views on ABC, my view is we need her even with her faults. I have not been able to sit through even 30 mins of commercial channel news for many years, and the click bait news websites are even worst.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Monday, 25 July 2016 12:58:00 PM
never before in Australia have I seen a bunch of people who have benefited so greatly from our British forefathers and yet loathe everything that has given them high paid tax payer funded positions. The drum largely made up of marxist and an occasional conservative to belt is nothing but a disgrace. Islam apologist, Green propagandist and conservative haters. The sooner this and Q&A are gone the better. The dumbed down getup crowd might have to find somewhere else to spread their hate.
Posted by runner, Monday, 25 July 2016 1:06:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy