The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Five truths about Australia's education system > Comments

Five truths about Australia's education system : Comments

By Simon Birmingham, published 17/6/2016

The first truth is that the Australian schooling system is not in crisis and overall continues to perform above the OECD average in all categories.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Luce, teachers suffer from the same stereo branding as all professions/trades, they have their dedicated, hard working ones, and they have their 'the world owes me a living' lazy 'what's in it for me' types. The public service is no different, in fact, most public sectors suffer from the same problems and although it does happen in the private sector, it's not as bad.

You know when teachers are being sent back to school to learn the basics, there is a huge problem. In fact, I would bet that not all teachers know their times tables, and many more would be incapable of saying what 40% of 65 is without a calculator. There in lies the problem because you cant teach something if you don't know it yourself.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 19 June 2016 6:43:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Turning education into a blame-game is not constructive: But the role of education needs to be revisited!
Prior to the end of WW11, there was little need for further education. The reality today is little different.
A small percentage of the population, depending on your view, were motivated to matriculate. A small percentage was all that was needed to perform available roles requiring high levels of education in our society.
The vast majority simply picked up tools and went to work! Men that is!
If you think carefully on the above, it becomes a template that fits the problems of education today.
Simon Birminghamham epitomises the "problem" of education from the political view!
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 19 June 2016 10:08:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just how naïve do you think we are Simon. Don't forget mate, many of us were educated years ago, when we had teachers worth their money.

When universities are having to run remedial math classes to get B Sc. students up to a satisfactory year 10 high school business math standard your claims are nothing but a bad joke.

Hell when 17 year old kids with high achiever in year 12 math can't handle the math in a simple apprenticeship that 15 year old intermediate certificate kids did no problem 40 years ago, I wonder just how bad it has to get for people like you to acknowledge a problem.

The feminists have achieved their goal. They have dumbed down all those hard subjects, so the girls could do them. They bored the boys to death, & now we have more girls in the sciences at Uni. I'm just damn glad I won't have to drive over the bridges they design, or build. This particularly when degrees are more an attendance record today, than an indication of achievement.

Ask anyone silly enough to depend on the fiction teachers write in school reports & references today, & you will find used car salesmen are now considered more truthful.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 19 June 2016 6:00:24 PM
Making positive statements about School education I find difficult to swallow.

Here are many realistic arguments to why school education produces far more truck driver skilled teenagers than medical professional quality learning capable teenagers.

ABC Revolution Education 3rd programs states aged 7 year children are diagnosed with mental depression. Below website readings I strongly suggest describes how school curriculum education is traumatising children's learning behaviours.

http://www.psychforums.com/living-with-mental-illness/topic182473.html#p1893211
Posted by steve101, Tuesday, 21 June 2016 3:14:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy