The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Smacking contributes to a violent society and is a form of family violence > Comments

Smacking contributes to a violent society and is a form of family violence : Comments

By Angelika Poulsen, published 16/6/2016

That violence against women in the home presents a problem is irrefutable, but our society is lagging behind in joining the dots to recognise that the same is true for children.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
The saddest thing about this, is that the author will find out that her pet idea did not work in the next thirty ir forty years.

Either she will have cathartic idea or hold on to her mistaken belief like a sailor hanging onto an anchor.
Posted by Wolly B, Saturday, 18 June 2016 6:41:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As the author of this article, I feel the need to supply additional information to other members who have commented on this article.

I am 36 years old, married, and I have two children, aged 7 and 3. I have always held the belief that children should not be hit by their parents, no matter how this might seem justifiable, and my current research on the topic supports this position. As such, I have never smacked my children. They are both very polite, well-adjusted and overall very well-behaved. I have found that reasoning, explaining, and modelling the behaviour that I expect from them has always worked to create the discipline I expect from young children.
Hitting is never necessary and, as the article clearly states, may create many problems both in the short and long term.
I respect the opinions of members who wish to comment on this article, but I felt that it was necessary to supply this information so that members may be better informed about what they are commenting on.
Posted by MissA, Monday, 20 June 2016 1:42:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anglelika,

there are a number of twins studies and sibling studied to be examined.

There a few studies into adopted children that show hereditary can play a big part in influencing their behaviour. One story comes to mind about an adopted child, raised in a very privileged household, with the best of education, only to become a criminal. I think he was a murderer.

Have a look at a study of Victorian prisoners, something like 50% of them showed signs of having an acquired brain injury, this covers things like fetal alcohol syndrome.

There is another study into the effects of lead levels in children and the co-incidence of how the level of violence in society decreased with the decrease use of leaded petrol.

Interesting studies into the why for example, not all children raised in an alcoholic family become alcoholics
Posted by Wolly B, Monday, 20 June 2016 7:38:44 PM
Smacking is not required when you can reason with the other.

Trouble is many children/youths lack the capability to reason...

Are we testing their reason capabilities, then working to improve them ?

Posted by polpak, Wednesday, 29 June 2016 7:16:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy