The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Political Correctness and reverse intimidation > Comments

Political Correctness and reverse intimidation : Comments

By Michael Keane, published 6/6/2016

We have to boldly and confidently take on PC activists on their own turf; demonstrating the ethical, scientific, psychological, humanitarian and sociological basis of why PC runs so opposite fairness and justice.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
PC only has power if we let it. Freedom of expression should encourage robust discussion. After all, throughout modern history, it's been one major way for any of us to learn.

The power of PC to silence or restrict discussion is a bit overblown in a world where, short of violence or the threat of it, each of us really can say what we damn-well like - and take the consequences, i.e. rebuttal, ridicule, the ostracism of idiots, and hopefully further discussion on the topic. Marx would call this 'the dialectic'.

After all, although some of us would like to, we can't reach through cyberspace and strangle someone with a different point of view, we can only use words, and frankly words on their own don't devastate.

So speak up, everyone, tell the simpletons to shove PC where it belongs: you have nothing to lose but a bit of dignity !

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 7 June 2016 9:53:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Loudmouth

"So speak up, everyone, tell the simpletons to shove PC where it belongs..."

+1
Posted by Pilgrim, Tuesday, 7 June 2016 4:03:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's a rising tide of chauvinism across the board in the globalist, egalitarian monoculture, it takes a variety of forms but it's endemic to that way of life.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 7 June 2016 6:22:01 PM
Toni Lavis,
I think a lot of readers would like to know why using blackface to help impersonate Kanya West is racist.
It’s not like Alice Kunek wanted to impersonate the proverbial “Sambo” with blackface, eating watermelon and shuffling around on the dance floor, or whatever the alleged stereotypical behaviours are.
Posted by Edward Carson, Wednesday, 8 June 2016 6:49:35 PM
Like Edward, I am wanting to know From Toni why simply painting your face black for a fancy dress party is racist. Those sorts of aggressive accusations of racism are exactly the sort of intimidation that we should stand up to.
Posted by Jerry D, Wednesday, 8 June 2016 9:56:37 PM
Sometimes people are unthinking, they don't think through to the consequences, or implications, of their actions. Sometimes they are a bit stupid and unintentionally hurtful. Sometimes they are consciously racist. I don't think this girl (can I use that term now ?) was necessarily racist, just a bit silly, and I'm sure she regrets what she did, so let's move on.

People with some tenuous Irish links tell Irish jokes. I'm sure that for some Irish people, such jokes are sort of reflective back on the teller, as jokes told or invented by Irish people for non-Irish people, to show what a dill the teller is. A joke within a joke. That complexity is what might make it such a sort of double-joke. Still, I like the one about the bloke who comes into a doctor's waiting room with both his ears bandaged. ??

PC covers vast ground. Luckily, so does common sense. And good-natured humour. We take the mickey out of ourselves. We call our mates 'bastard', at least my wife used to call me that, with a laugh. Of course, there's a line that shouldn't be crossed but it depends a lot on context.

But PC should never be allowed to cripple freedom of expression, or discussion, or passionate argument. If you disagree with someone, explain why, put your own point of view forward. I remember arguing with an Aboriginal student and he said, 'You're a racist', i.e. because I disagreed with him. I said, 'Go to buggery.' or words to that effect. After all, the problem with using only PC as a weapon is that, like every other means of disagreement, it has to stand up for itself: 'PC ?' 'Prove it.' It has no particular superior mandate.

Well, he was ironing and the phone rang....

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 9 June 2016 3:02:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy