The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Preventing another National Apology: the case for adoption > Comments

Preventing another National Apology: the case for adoption : Comments

By Mark Passfield, published 19/4/2016

The Productivity Commission stated that the number of Australian children in care has continually outpaced population growth rising from 3.9 per 1000 in 2001 to a staggering 8.1 per 1000 in 2013.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
It's exactly because I have compassion for children in need of care that I urge our government not to repeat the mistakes of the past.
Posted by Louisa, Tuesday, 19 April 2016 6:45:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Louisa, why do you think that the "mistakes in the past" were actually mistakes. Do you have any first hand experience of the conditions under which children were taken, particularly those aboriginal children?

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 20 April 2016 10:02:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The previous posters just about said it all!
A Western Australia academic said that there were a few thousand people in the State responsible for most of the crime and child cruelty. He thought it made more financial sense to put them in five star accommodation with liveried attendants than leave them alone. I assume he would have ensured they would have no more kids?
Surely we can have a system where these people are offered money to undergo sterilization and use this to reduce the problem.
Alternatively after three kids welfare reduces? How about that?
Posted by JBowyer, Wednesday, 20 April 2016 10:12:50 AM
Having been 'hosted' in a church boys home from 6-14 I got through by having a great mother who visited us every 2 weeks without fail after my father got conned by a mother and daughter team and stupidly fell for it in Darin. Since then I have worked in child protection in both NT and Qld after getting a social sciences degree in Welfare at 51 years 'young'. I agree that some parents either are not interested in changing dysfunctional lifestyles or haven't got the capacity to even consider that they could change. They can be recycled abused kids themselves who do not have the emotional, mental health or understanding that it is possible to address issues. Successive govts continue to put bandaids on this and many social disintegration issues while the iceberg grows under the freezing waters of political apathy as admitting that prostitution of innocent childhood by clever marketing strategies to have children "mature" at 12-15 + agreeing to trendy social mechanisms where parents are no longer in charge of responsibly discipline their children is just put in the 'too hard' basket as there aren't a lot of votes in it. 'When families cracked the nation falls'.
Posted by Citizens Initiated Action, Wednesday, 20 April 2016 11:03:57 AM
I can assure you that I have a great deal of experience of the long term outcomes of adoption separation.
Posted by Louisa, Thursday, 21 April 2016 4:02:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy