The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > So, we're having a plebiscite. But what's the question? > Comments

So, we're having a plebiscite. But what's the question? : Comments

By John de Meyrick, published 30/3/2016

The problem is, this issue cannot be answered by just one question. It's an apples and oranges situation trying to be made into a new kind of 'fruit'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Dougie: children start to become curious about their bodies and those of others. And they need to be taught e.g., what is and in not appropriate behaviour during physical play, what parts of the body are considered private etc.

Who amongst us didn't play Mommy & Daddies or Doctors & Nurses when they were this age? I certainly did & my children did. Everyone I ever spoken to has said they caught their children having "Show & Tell."

The worst thing you can do is to make a big fuss when you catch them. They don't know the reason why they're in trouble. Screaming at them will only instill guilt into their little minds & that grows into mental health issues later on in life. That's what must have happened to a few on here, I think. ;-)
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 31 March 2016 8:20:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Prebs, That's the dumbest obfuscation I've seen posted thus far.

I'm at loss to understand how marriage equality removes any element of choice from you, save the ability of some to deliberately disadvantage others who chose to be born different!

I mean, when we included the Aboriginal community in the electoral rolls and gave them the right to vote, was any other voter, or white supremacist prevented from exercising their democratic right or personal choice!? Which seems to be the nub of your argument, with regard to marriage equality?

There's all this talk of an extremely costly plebiscite and entirely unnecessary, given the very next election can be used to resolve the question according to the will of the people. And in a few short months not years, given we ever actually get a binding plebiscite?

Some folks could be forgiven for believing that power and its retention is far more important to the P.M. than honor?

Remember the never ever, dead buried and cremated GST; and subsequently rammed down our throats in the face of a polled 87% opposition! And all those non core promises that then allowed our most recalcitrant and autocratic P.M. to carry the day and then tear up former never ever commitments?

And germane to the current discussion, given the current level of community support for equal treatment!?

Let's not wait for the promised plebiscite, but rather make it an election issue! And arguably, given the coalition's history on carved in stone commitments; the only way to guarantee that the will of the people will be actually honored?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 31 March 2016 8:55:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My point is that making unequal things equal is a foolish endeavour. They are not the same, so why not let them be different? If one provides more benefits than the other then let those who engage in it enjoy those benefits.

I do not support government "handouts" to heterosexual marriages over any other form of human relationship, I personally believe that government handouts (if we need them at all) should be given to the individual, for the individuals sake, rather than discriminating against people who work hard or smart (or both).

An example of my issue about being different. If I and my friends had a red shirt party, and the rule that we set ourselves was that you could only attend the party if you were wearing a red shirt, is it unfair of us to forbid someone entry if they were wearing a blue shirt? Would it be fair for the government to force us to allow blue shirts into our red shirt party? Are we not allowed to have and enjoy our red shirt party according to our love of shirt's red?

I think that if we really cared about equality all marriage legislation would be removed, and then allow people to build the relationships that they want. To the most successful of those relationships may the rewards be received.
Posted by Prebs, Thursday, 31 March 2016 9:25:50 AM
JayB, this plebiscite is going to cost a lot of money for something we already know that the majority of the voters agree on. What a waste of money.

This Government should just agree to change the Marriage Act and not let a minority of homophobes and religious nuts call the shots. Just do it....
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 31 March 2016 10:10:39 AM
SOL: we already know that the majority of the voters agree on. What a waste of money.

So you agree with the GLBT that the Majority of Australians want Gay Marriage legalized.

SOL: This Government should just agree to change the Marriage Act and not let a minority of homophobes and religious nuts call the shots. Just do it....

But you & your ilk are afraid to let it be put it to the test. & Why not? Says a lot doesn't it?

Once again the Extremists & their Extreme views on just about everything know that they are wrong but they just won't acknowledge the fact because it's not; PC, Left, Green, GLTB, moslem, In, Polite, Acceptable & so on, & so on, ad infinitem. So Boring.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 31 March 2016 12:01:57 PM
"....given we ever actually get a binding plebiscite?"

Are plebiscites ever binding?
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 31 March 2016 2:03:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy