The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Early feminist Goldstein drew on Christian Science for inspiration > Comments

Early feminist Goldstein drew on Christian Science for inspiration : Comments

By Kay Stroud, published 8/3/2016

Our social, theological and healthcare reformers stand on the shoulders of 'greats'. Celebrate them during Australian Women's History Month and on International Women's Day.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
If Vida was a christian science advocate then that would mostly explain why Vic was the one of the last states to give the vote to women.

Perhaps if she was a more logical person rather then believing in foolish ideas like Christian science they would have got if faster?
Posted by Cobber the hound, Tuesday, 8 March 2016 8:02:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
At first I was puzzled by the article and what the Author was trying to say or infer? however, it seems she was trying to say we are all the sons and daughters of the universe or the unified field of energy that is it and us!

And what is done to one and allowed, is done to all of us; insomuch as you do unto the least among you you also do unto me.

It also tells me that Christianity is a code for living not giving(look at me, look at me) lip service to. That abundant overflowing wealth is granted for one single purpose, to help others?

And as simple as putting it to work in a way that provides service to others [Low Interest free micro loans} As opposed to greedy grasping and hoarding.

And as the most reliably successful business strategy, emphasises providing the very best customer service you are capable of, and just let the profits take care of themselves!

And then tithing a minimum 10% from that for God's work! And tell only God what a good person you are, not the rest of the world.

It also informs me that Christianity and conservatism is a mutually incompatible juxtaposition!

It's not what you say or claim that counts, no matter how many times you thump a hairy chest and repeat something you read somewhere in some holy book, but rather how you actually conduct yourself and how you treat or relate to all others, Mr Trump!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 8 March 2016 8:49:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"To some this might have seemed like stepping back from the fray, but Goldstein would have seen it as taking the stand for equal rights to an even higher level - to the place where we each have the right to recognise our divine rights as equally valued sons and daughters of the Divine."

Ah, yes, that must be why all the major religions around the world have fought so hard for women to participate as full equals at every level of their organisations...

http://religiousatrocities.wordpress.com/category/victims-and-perpetrators/women/
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 9 March 2016 6:17:10 AM
CtH: Vida Goldstein was a child of her time and society. My grandmother, a contemporary of hers, was a devoted believer as
well and her copy of the CS Bible is a family heirloom. Any survey of Australian feminism would hold Goldstein as an icon.

I find it mildly interesting to contemplate whether, in a society dominated by religion, Goldstein's campaigning could have met with greater success had she been non-religious, perhaps even agnostic or an atheist.

I think it might have been easy for her to turn to Marxism as a cure for social injustice as a number of her contemporaries seem to have done but the fact that her presence in the USA drew such crowds must be attributed to Christian Science being
her source of inspiration and an encouragement factor for women to attend her gatherings.

Now I'm not an advocate of religious adherence and never have been but such beliefs have motivated people to great feats in the field of the arts, particularly music, in fact in just about every category of achievement that ennobles humankind. It is equally true that such motivations were not always noble. I've come to realise that it's more the actions and results than the source of motivation/inspiration that one should judge historical figures on.

Christopher Hitchens, a man I hold in high respect, was a powerful voice for the empowerment of women, especially of the vast numbers condemned to squalid lives by religions, caste systems and irrational male chauvinism. The time of subsistence living in small family groups, in the division of labour when life depended on the male's greater strength, the various roles played were essential for survival. Such divisions and allocations of roles are an anachronism in today's society.
Posted by Pogi, Saturday, 19 March 2016 3:10:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy